baby reds and pinkies - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Snake Discussion Forums > Kingsnakes & Milksnakes Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 08-19-2004, 08:39 PM   #1
sschind
baby reds and pinkies

For those of you who have raised red milks I have a question. How easily do they feed on pinkies. I ask for a couple of reasons. One, I just picked up a mate for my female but before I go through the trouble of breeding them I want to know how difficult it is to get them eating pinkies. Two, I just picked up a baby (2.72 grams and tiny) It finally ate a pinkie but it took me four days for one of my mice to drop a pinky small enough for it to eat. It had tried two others but gave up. If they feed readily on pinks then I will just add a few more mice colonies to increase the chance of getting babies (been considering that anyway) but if they are generally a difficult mouse feeder I may not want to bother.

Thanks

Steve Schindler

Old 09-11-2004, 09:53 PM   #2
Jeff Hardwick
I find whole pinks are just too large for these guys and most other smaller milk hatchlings. Try severing the head and offering that. Once the snake is 6-12 months old, a full tiny pink is more reasonable. I've lost 2 hatchlings in the past from suffocation due to a meal too large.

Getting them to accept pinks (or parts) is a completely different matter. Some are off and running 2 weeks after hatch, many more will simply wither and die if not force fed a fat hopper tail weekly. They eventually come around, my personal record is a female greyband that was "assist fed" for 9 months. She's a year old now and chugs pinks happily.
Lizard scenting may help; I keep a box of Mediterranean geckos in the freezer which work fine with most Alternas but won't fool the Pales. Good luck, trial and error will guide you. Jeff

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!