Blocked glottis on snake -any advice urgently welcome - Page 16 - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - General Discussion Forums > Veterinarian Practice & General Health Issues

Notices

Veterinarian Practice & General Health Issues Anything to do with veterinarians, health issues, pathogens, hygiene, or sanitation.

Old 08-15-2018, 12:40 AM   #151
hotlips
Gosh, you're easy to please...? Congratulations though, it's a good sign.

Old 08-15-2018, 12:54 AM   #152
Helenthereef
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotlips View Post
Gosh, you're easy to please...? .
I know, right? Guess I'll give up hopes of diamonds......

Old 01-20-2019, 12:25 AM   #153
Helenthereef
HAPPY NEW YEAR!!!!

HE ATE! Voluntarily! A whole 4-day old chick!
A full year since his last voluntary meal and a year and a half since his last normal meal. What a great start to 2019!!!!!!

Attached Images

Old 01-20-2019, 03:04 AM   #154
richardhind1972
That's such fantastic news Helen, fingers crossed he stays this way, good job you didn't give up then, well done for being so patient with that little stunner

Sent from my TA-1024 using Tapatalk

Old 01-20-2019, 05:05 AM   #155
Helenthereef
Thanks Richard, I'm very happy right now, I only hope he will repeat it in a couple of weeks.

Interestingly I think there are a couple of contributing factors:
We are in our summer months now, and they all eat more when it is hot, plus he did shed a few weeks ago.

However there is another - I was describing the situation and remarking that we had added snake pro-biotics to his diet after the antibiotics had kicked him around, to no obvious effect, and a non-reptile-keeping friend suggested that maybe an innoculation of native snake biotics might be the answer. This was prompted by the rather disgusting sounding (but from what I read, effective) practice of feacal innoculation in humans (google it if you dare...). Essentially you would take the faeces of another snake and introduce it to his gut via the force feeding tube.

Well, I could see the logic, but did not really fancy doing it, so what I did was take him out of quarantine and house him back with the two other snakes he shared a tank with before this happened. This means they sleep together, walk around on top of each other, and recently have been soaking in their bath together. I can only think that they are now sharing gut flora too.... and maybe that was contributary? More research needed.....

Old 01-20-2019, 05:13 AM   #156
richardhind1972
That's really interesting but kind of makes sense, I really am so pleased for you, takes alot of pressure of you, fingers crossed he remains on the food now

Sent from my TA-1024 using Tapatalk

Old 01-20-2019, 09:01 PM   #157
hotlips
AWESOME NEWS! I couldn't be happier, let's hope he makes a habit of eating now. I have a hunch he will...

Old 01-21-2019, 12:51 PM   #158
AbsoluteApril
Awesome news and a great start to the year!! Thanks for the happy update!

Old 03-02-2019, 12:36 AM   #159
Helenthereef
Aaaaand..... he just did it again.

OK, I'm not going to post every time he eats from now on, but of course I hope we are now back in the game.

Thanks yet again to all of you who gave me your time and advice through this. I really appreciate it all.

Old 03-02-2019, 12:48 AM   #160
hotlips
He's really looking good, & I can tell you're over the moon, just as I would be, now that he's finally eating again. Woo-Hoo! Happy Dance!

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!