15 threatened eastern indigo snakes released in Florida - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - General Discussion Forums > Herps In The News

Notices

Herps In The News Local or national articles where reptiles or amphibians have made it into the news media. Please cite sources.

Old 06-12-2019, 11:35 AM   #1
bcr229
15 threatened eastern indigo snakes released in Florida

https://apnews.com/a6c69470961c47058bc3ab7af81c1967

15 threatened eastern indigo snakes released in Florida

June 12, 2019

TALLAHASSEE, Fla. (AP) — Wildlife officials say 15 threatened eastern indigo snakes have been released in northern Florida.

A Florida Fish and Wildlife Conservation Commission news release says the reptiles were set loose Tuesday at The Nature Conservancy’s Apalachicola Bluffs and Ravines Preserve west of Tallahassee.

Government agencies, wildlife groups and universities are trying to return the native, nonvenomous apex predator to the region. Similar releases were conducted the past two years.

The eastern indigo snake is the longest snake native to North America, growing to over 8 feet long (2.4 meters). Scientists say it serves a critical function in its environment, consuming a variety of small animals. The snakes were historically found in Georgia, Alabama, Mississippi and Florida, though their range is now more restricted.

Old 06-13-2019, 02:57 AM   #2
LauraB
That is awesome!

Some years ago, my son walked home from a friend's house and told me he saw a long black snake next to a neighbor's wood pile and he was afraid they would kill it. Being our known 'hood animal rescuer, I went and caught the snake. It was longer than I am tall (I'm almost 5 ft). I was SO hoping it was an Indigo, but it was a black rat. It was still gorgeous, calm and worth saving.

Thanks for sharing that great news!

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Tags
florida, indigo