Fire expels124 snakes, scores of other animals - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - General Discussion Forums > Herps In The News

Notices

Herps In The News Local or national articles where reptiles or amphibians have made it into the news media. Please cite sources.

Old 04-13-2007, 03:42 PM   #1
kmurphy
Fire expels124 snakes, scores of other animals

Quote:
Fire expels124 snakes, scores of other animals

By Allyson Bird

Palm Beach Post Staff Writer

Thursday, April 12, 2007

PORT ST. LUCIE — When firefighters arrived at his home on Southwest Mark Court on Tuesday night, Fred Spector warned them that his dogs were still inside.

"He doesn't say anything about snakes, turtles, mice - just the dogs," St. Lucie County Fire District Capt. Kevin Herndon remembered. "As the smoke is clearing, I see snakes. I see snake after snake after snake. It's a creepy feeling."

From 9 p.m. until past midnight, animal control workers and volunteers from reptile rescue services would check out 124 snakes, 20 tortoises, 13 lizards, 10 birds, eight turtles, six dogs and 600 rodents. Paramedics strapped an oxygen mask to save a gray Persian cat named Priscilla, and only a few newborn snakes and some tortoise eggs were lost in the blaze.

Some of the stars of Spector's A Reptile Adventure, a favorite at local schools for more than a decade, had to be relocated with friends and family after the house was rendered unlivable.

The accidental fire began in a generator near an outdoor shed, said Catherine Whitaker, fire district spokeswoman. Spector said his generator recycles daily at 8:15 p.m., precisely the time the fire began.

Flames destroyed a shed and damaged a bedroom, spreading smoke throughout the home. Empty terrariums and a charred bag of baby lettuce salad remained in the back yard Wednesday.

Spector is licensed to keep the animals. But according to city code, residents can't use more than 200 feet of their homes for business. Spector devoted too much space - a spare bedroom and a two-car garage - to the operation.

"It was pristine in that garage. Each one had its own home. They were immaculately kept," said animal control supervisor Melissa Behres. "He was doing absolutely nothing wrong except for that little issue with zoning."

City attorney Roger Orr said he would recommend giving Spector a citation for the code violation.

Spector returned to his home late Wednesday morning. A New York City police officer for more than 20 years, he retired in Port St. Lucie 12 years ago and immediately started his reptile education business.

"I keep them so kids can learn about them, because the only ones they show on TV are ... constrictors wrestling in the mud," he said, wearing a soot-stained shirt and clutching a can of Fresca.

Among all the kingsnakes, rat snakes, pine snakes, bearded dragons, even a 10-foot python, not one of his pets is poisonous. He spent 35 years perfecting the colors on some of his snakes with each generation.

His hobby began in a two-bedroom Brooklyn apartment "with a few box turtles, a few small snakes and a very understanding wife," he said.

Four months ago, his wife, Leslie Spector, died of breast cancer. She was a teacher at Forest Grove Middle School. His two sons are grown and will both marry this year.

"Since I lost my wife, that's all I have left is my animals," Spector said.

He worries about the children waiting to see him during his visits to schools. He hopes to find a rental home for now where he can keep his pets and prepare for school appearances.

Standing beside his pool, he glanced at the burn marks on his light blue paint. "Boy, this is a nice house," he said.
http://www.palmbeachpost.com/localne...fire_0412.html

Old 04-13-2007, 08:19 PM   #2
Hypancistrus
I wonder if his business had been, say, wood working... if anyone would have said anything???

Only good thing is that very little in the way of life was lost in the blaze...

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!