A Rusty Lizard? Have you heard of this? Help me out... - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Lizard Discussion Forums > Other Lizards Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 10-17-2007, 04:45 PM   #1
Jazeira
Unhappy A Rusty Lizard? Have you heard of this? Help me out...

The other day I was at a PetCo way far out from where I live.

I saw this lizard there and I am certain it was labled as a "rusty lizard." It was only 19.99 and I think I've fallen in love with it. I want to know more about this species and do some research to see if it's an animal I'd like to get into, but nothing comes up for "rusty lizard."

It was a rusty color, didn't look like a real climber. Probably about... 8 inches long from head to tail?

Now I know sometimes the pet store gives "fancier" names to thing (i.e. the brown anole is listed at petsmart as the "bahaman anole") so maybe does this lizard have another name I could search for it by?

I tried looking at other reptile sites and through ads to see if I could find a picture and another name of one, but no luck...

Does anyone know what kind of lizard I'm talking about???

Old 10-17-2007, 04:47 PM   #2
IloveSnakes1234
maybe you should take a picture of it...?

Old 10-17-2007, 04:56 PM   #3
Jazeira
I can't... I didn't get it and the pet store is nearly an hour from my house... though I may go back that way eventually, I wanted to know about it so that if I do I might be able to pick it up if I decided to get it. It's so frustrating. I should have asked for a caresheet when I was there but I didn't think to. But I can't stop thinking about it. I'd never seen it before.

Old 10-17-2007, 05:08 PM   #4
Jazeira
Ok, I'm doing some searching...

It looks somewhat like the fence lizard, but not really. It was more spikey and sleek.

Old 10-17-2007, 07:22 PM   #5
sugarkornbizkits
I honestly don't know why petstores have to come up with names for the reptiles. I was in a Petco the other day and they had a Fattail labeled as a Skunk Gecko and a Patternless leopard gecko labeled as an albino. A few months ago they had a Panther Gecko, which I later found out was a pictus. Maybe try to call them and see if it is called something else? I tried to do a search for a rusty lizard and all I found was some bar. If you happen to go up there again and they have it, try to take a picture.

Old 10-21-2007, 10:15 PM   #6
Jazeira
I don't know where I got rusty from...

I drove down there today. It is an armadillo lizard. They didn't even have a caresheet for it but I think I've bookmarked every helpful site for them on the net now (consisting of only 5 really!).

I'm thinking these might be a lizard I want to get into - maybe breed them.

But there's all this talk on the net about how what they sell in stores aren't real armadillo lizards at all and that they are something called a spiny tailed lizard or something like that. However, search results for that do NOT look like the armadillo lizards I saw in the store, so I take it this is all a bunch of nonsense... ?

But I guess... with the names... they probably get mixed up because they hire people who know nothing . My pet stores make me so angry sometimes with the idiotic advice the employees will hand out. "Fire bellied toads need a heat rock." comes to mind...

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!