Bad Guy BEWARE OF PIJAC!!!! - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Business Forums > Board of Inquiry®

Notices

Board of Inquiry® This forum is provided exclusively for the discussion of specific persons or businesses in the herp industry.

Old 05-02-2009, 04:35 AM   #1
varnyard
BEWARE OF PIJAC!!!!

Yea, that’s right, they are scum. They are selling us out, don't be fooled, they are saying yes to HR669:
http://www.pijac.org/projects/project.asp?p=28

Do not support these liars, they are having secret meetings with HSUS and PETA right now, they want to save their own ass and put the rest of us out of business.

This started in 2003:
http://www.faunaclassifieds.com/foru...highlight=NRIP

If you donated funds or joined PIJAC, demand your money back now, they are using YOUR money to fund them to keep their doors open in the trade. They are not fighting for you, and it is a lie.

BOYCOTT these so-called big breeders behind this group, do not buy the animals they have for sale, it will only support them in the quest to be the only breeders of reptiles in the US.

Quote:
TOM_CRUTCHFIELD: I believe that a NEW version of this bill HR669 will be introduced very soon. After a LOT of searching both online and orally, I believe that NRIP will be the compromise offered by some in OUR OWN INDUSTRY. This stands for National Reptile Improvement Plan, and THIS IS NOT GOOD for the average Herper.

I would like to go on record as saying I'M OPPOSED TO NRIP AND EVERYTHING ASSOCIATED WITH IT. This would "white list" certain species to be bred under certain conditions and only financially benefit some "snake and gecko mills" and not allow for investment herp breeders or Joe Herper who breeds a few herps he likes and sells offspring to finance his hobby.

While this bill could very well benefit me, I WILL NOT DESERT MY BROTHERS AND SISTERS IN THIS INDUSTRY FOR MY PERSONAL GAIN!!! NRIP has been secretly in the works for over two years, and I don't believe in coincidences. I'm enclosing a link and would encourage all of you to read it and decide for yourselves. NRIP even casts a bad light on internet sales and reptile shows.

I woke up this morning and feel like I'm in the old Pogo Comic Strip where one of them says "I have met the enemy, and he is us." All of this seems to about some making a LOT OF MONEY, but then most things are about money.

Hang on you rodent breeders, there is a "NATIONAL RODENT IMPROVEMENT PLAN" out there that will have similar consequences. Thanks for reading this.
NRIP MEETING
Tom Crutchfield
"NATIONAL RODENT IMPROVEMENT PLAN"???

Quote:
Bill Brant: April 30, 2009
Hello Fellow Herpers,
In recent days there have been many comments on topics related to HR669, so I decided to make a few of my own. If you care to, please forward this letter on to others as food for thought. My name is Bill Brant, and my wife and I own The Gourmet Rodent. I have been on the board of directors for the Pet Industry Joint Advisory Council (PIJAC) since March, 2003. I have also represented the Reptile Industry in Florida on the Animal Industry Technical Council (AITC), an advisory council to the Commissioner of Agriculture for the state of Florida.
In recent months our industry has been involved in several high profile pieces of federal legislation, HR669 and S373. HR669 has gotten more attention in recent months because it just came before the House Subcommittee on Insular Affairs, Oceans and Wildlife, but make no mistake, S373 as well as other issues threaten our emerging industry.
I have been encouraged by the outpouring of responses that preceded the hearing on HR669, however I have been saddened and somewhat confused by the responses I have seen on several of the forums by the leadership in the industry.
My confusion is because many posts indicate that HR669 is dead in the water. To my knowledge, that is not the case. At the end of the hearing, Rep. Bordallo stated that there would be a ten day comment period. I have seen nothing official that states anything other than the bill is still in progress, (http://resourcescommittee.house.gov/...view&extid=246).
Even if it is going to undergo a significant revision, or a re-write, I believe our industry should offer to help come to a reasonable compromise, rather than dig our heels in and take the position of no compromise. If we do that, we may find out that we are in the minority, and get out voted. I also think it is unwise to prematurely claim victory at this point in time. We may have gotten their attention, and earned their respect for having garnered so much grassroots support, however to “crow” about victory prematurely could cause them to take a more unyielding position when it comes down to the compromises they are willing to concede to.
I am saddened by the misinformation that is abundant in recent posts on forums. Especially when it comes to the intent and impact of the National Reptile Improvement Plan (NRIP). To understand its intent, you need to understand its inception. It came about as a result of the “Tick Symposium” held in July 2000 in Tallahassee, FL. The Tick meeting came about because regulators in the Florida Department of Agriculture and the US Department of Agriculture were responding to the “Heartwater Scare” of 1999. Ticks carrying the bacterium that causes Heartwater Disease, a very fatal disease for ruminant animals such as cattle, sheep and deer, were found on imported Leopard Tortoises. At the time, FDOACS and USDA had no idea who the reptile industry was, so they sponsored the symposium to see who would show up.
PIJAC and many concerned herpers showed up to try to limit the action of USDA and FDOACS to just the reptiles that could be carrying the vector ticks. It became apparent at the symposium that our industry would need Best Management Practices and Standard Operating Procedures in order to have credibility in the eyes of our regulators. That is the reason why NRIP was drafted, not to create an elite group of larger reptile dealers andbreeders. It took three years, and was open to anyone who showed an interest in participating in the process. We welcomed all the help we could get.
In June 2008, we convened a group of interested herpers at the PIJAC office in Washington, DC to review the NRIP document for potential amendments. One of the topics we addressed was making the program more user friendly for smaller reptile breeders of all types, sizes and descriptions. Most importantly, I want to emphasize that it is PIJAC’s desire to have NRIP be a voluntary program. I think it is interesting to see the similarity between the “code of ethics” of NCARK (the precursor of USARK) , and the NRIP program. Please take time to check them out.( http://www.ncark.org/ethics.php) (http://pijac.org/projects/project.asp?p=28).
A final reason why I am saddened is the seeming rivalry between USARK and PIJAC. I suspect that this is the result of one being a forty year old organization, and the other being a one year old organization. I am a member of both organizations, and urge you to do the same. They both have something to add to our common cause. USARK is young and reptile specific. PIJAC is seasoned and has been the “go to” resource for regulators and legislators for decades. As far as I can tell, the desired outcome of both organizations is to have a workable set of regulations that enable people to pursue their passion for reptiles while providing protection for the environment, public health and safeguards for people in our communities that don’t share our enthusiasm for reptiles. ( PIJAC’s position on HR669 is included here: http://pijac.org/governmentaffairs/hr669forum.asp ) I think our interests would be better served if we focused on solving the legislative challenges we all face in a unified manner. Please consider what I have said. I look forward to seeing many of you at the Daytona Expo, or the NARBC shows that I attend.
Sincerely,
Bill Brant
The Gourmet Rodent
We are being sold out folks, BHB, Bill Brant, PIJAC, PETA, and HSUS are all in together. BTW, nice videos Brian, too bad it was all a lie.

I called Brian to confront him about this, but he did not have enough balls to take my call.

If you dontated money or joined PIJAC, get you money back now, that is one way we can stop them, also do not buy animals from them, they are using your dollars to screw all of us!!

I will be adding to that list as I find out more.

Old 05-02-2009, 05:02 AM   #2
cahrens
I purchased a membership from PIJAC last year when I believed them to be on our side. This is certainly not what I was paying for. That membership just ran out and all of this has made it a no-brainer not to renew. When you buy a membership like this what you are really paying for is representation. At this time, I don't feel as though I got what I paid for.

Old 05-02-2009, 07:28 AM   #3
Joe Hiduke
Great Transaction with PIJAC

I gave PIJAC money for membership and I received compelling testimony in front of Congress that was opposed to HR669 and argued against any white list for the pet trade.

In the interest of full disclosure, I worked for Bill Brant for ten years, most of that time as his general manager. I quit in 2003, and talk to him maybe a couple times a year, so I don’t have any vested interest in any program that is specifically to his benefit. I currently work in the tropical fish industry; my current involvement with reptiles is strictly as a hobbyist.

What exactly has transpired that has led to a six-year-old document for a voluntary program targeted to prevent the spread of reptile ticks known to be vectors of Heartwater disease being dragged out and misrepresented as favoring a white list? Can you provide a link or any evidence that PIJAC has changed their position on a white list?

Specifically regarding the NRIP document, have you read this? It’s not an easy read, but this was crafted so that it would not be too difficult for anyone to come in to compliance with this document. Furthermore, the intent of the document is to provide guidelines for a voluntary organization. Can you provide evidence that this is likely to be proposed as law? If it were being looked at to replace HR669 what do you see in this document that shows any kind of restrictions on which species that can worked with? What does this do to regulate trade in tropical fish, birds, and exotic animals, which are also targets of HR669 (tropical fish even more so than reptiles)? What response have you received from Marshal Meyers, Bill Brant, Kamuran Tepedelen, or anyone else at PIJAC that this document is not subject to change if they received input from the reptile community that we wanted this document to be more widely adopted?

PIJAC has been working to protect our interests for many years. If PIJAC comes out in support of a white list than I will consider my membership dues poorly spent and a bad transaction. Rather than relying on hearsay and conjecture about motives, I will base my opinion of PIJAC on their long history of looking out for our industry.

Joe Hiduke

Old 05-02-2009, 09:32 AM   #4
varnyard
HR669 is not dead; we were told it was by PIJAC and USARK. The fact of the matter is, it is alive and well, it is being re-written and is going to be re-submitted this month. The new and improved HR669 will go something like this:

Small breeders will not be able to breed, sell, trade, import, export, or ship any reptiles. Only larger breeders that have an on the premises herp vet will be able to do so. Also USDA and USFW must inspect them and approve the facility, caging, care etc. The animals produced will only be shipped to pet stores, zoos and animal education facilities.

As for a response, we are not getting one; PIJAC, and USARK are not telling us the bill is still alive, why? I called one of the top board members at PIJAC; he knows what is going on, he said I was the first one to call him about it. He said he knows the bill is not dead and it is being re-written.

Do not let your guard down; there is much yet to be seen on this. PETA, USPS and PIJAC are now discussing the new HR669.

The "NATIONAL RODENT IMPROVEMENT PLAN" is still in the works, it will be slid through after HR669 passes, and it will pass.

Old 05-02-2009, 09:55 AM   #5
varnyard
USPS = HSUS, sorry but this pisses me off to the core.

Old 05-02-2009, 10:01 AM   #6
Joe Hiduke
Quote:
Originally Posted by varnyard View Post
The new and improved HR669 will go something like this:

Small breeders will not be able to breed, sell, trade, import, export, or ship any reptiles. Only larger breeders that have an on the premises herp vet will be able to do so. Also USDA and USFW must inspect them and approve the facility, caging, care etc. The animals produced will only be shipped to pet stores, zoos and animal education facilities.
Link?

Quote:
Originally Posted by varnyard View Post
HR669 is not dead; we were told it was by PIJAC and USARK.
I don't see anyone from PIJAC claiming HR669 is dead. In fact, I see you have posted a letter from a PIJAC board member clearly stating that it is not dead.

Joe Hiduke

Old 05-02-2009, 10:54 AM   #7
varnyard
Joe you want a link to what? Phone conversations?
You will not see it until the new improved HR669 comes out, that's the way they want it.

Call your buddy Bill, and see if he will be honest with you.

Old 05-02-2009, 11:14 AM   #8
varnyard
Is it not a fact Joe, that you was involved with NRIP drafts several years ago? And you are working with the ones I speak of?

Simple questions Joe.

Old 05-02-2009, 11:32 AM   #9
BryonsBoas
I'm not a member of either PIJAC or USARK but I have seen letters posted by both on another forum stating that the bill is not dead and to keep our guard up.

Old 05-02-2009, 11:33 AM   #10
Suncoast Herpetological
Quote:
HR669 is not dead; we were told it was by PIJAC and USARK. The fact of the matter is, it is alive and well, it is being re-written and is going to be re-submitted this month. The new and improved HR669 will go something like this:
I recall getting at least one Email from USARK stating that it had been defeated in it's current form but could be resubmitted for approval. I don't save those Emails but I do remember the content.

Quote:
I believe what Joe is asking is where you got this very specific information? It sounds as if you read a draft of the new proposal or spoke with someone who has. I would be curious on the source as well

Quote:
As for a response, we are not getting one; PIJAC, and USARK are not telling us the bill is still alive, why? I called one of the top board members at PIJAC; he knows what is going on, he said I was the first one to call him about it. He said he knows the bill is not dead and it is being re-written.

Do not let your guard down; there is much yet to be seen on this. PETA, USPS and PIJAC are now discussing the new HR669.
I don't think any of us thought that those that support HR669 in the Govenment were simply going to give up and go home after this first defeat. That's like assuming when gun control legislation is defeated that no one will ever submit a revised bill for consideration. Some level of regulation is a foregone conclusion in our industry. My understanding of NRIP was that it was being designed as an initial step at self regulation by the industry to demonstate a desire to better standards and practuices. If you read it, nothing in there is really too difficult to conform with. There has not been anything secretive about it's drafting. It has been common knowledge for several years in the industry.

I have known Bill Brandt almost as long Joe has and he has been a tireless and dedicated proponent of our hobby and industry for the last twenty years. To attempt to label him "scum" without some really damning evidence of wrongdoing is way over the top

Quote:
The "NATIONAL RODENT IMPROVEMENT PLAN" is still in the works, it will be slid through after HR669 passes, and it will pass.

I'd be interested in knowing if your only evidence of this is the quote you placed from Tom Crutchfield.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!