Bad Guy BEWARE OF PIJAC!!!! - Page 20 - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Business Forums > Board of Inquiry®

Notices

Board of Inquiry® This forum is provided exclusively for the discussion of specific persons or businesses in the herp industry.

Old 05-28-2009, 03:25 AM   #191
TattooLost
There's a difference between having doubts and calling someone a liar. I think that's what Krystal is trying to say. When someone posts here in the BOI that someone else is a scammer, and we ask for proof, are we calling them a liar? Or are we just wanting facts before we come to our own conclusion?

Old 02-03-2010, 02:54 PM   #192
Lynn
This is one scarey thread.. So smaller breeders will be screwed ? I have been ibreeding dragons for 12 years.. Does this mean I will be shut down..?

Old 02-03-2010, 04:28 PM   #193
Royal Morphz
Lynn this threads subject was to the impending threat on large constrictors being banned currently in a bill named s-373

Old 02-03-2010, 05:12 PM   #194
WingedWolf
The original link to the NRIP looks great, and I see nothing to complain about. When HR-669 comes back around, we'll see what it says then, and respond accordingly. I don't see a basis for the complaint in this thread.
I'm a small breeder, and I do not believe PIJAC is planning to sell me out. Until I see actual evidence otherwise, I support them and their efforts to keep our rears out of hot water.

Old 03-11-2010, 04:41 PM   #195
crazyKID123195
this sounds like a lot of spin and a cry for attention. I know that most people weren't expecting these bills to disappear and i also have a lot of trust in people like brian. When you say big breeders you were very specific as to which people, when you say PIJAC and the "big breeders" you are talking about BHB, Markus, VPI, and a lot of others. I don't really think that the breeders are doing this i think you (the original poster) are just trying to create chaos and bad feelings toward the more established breeders, who deserve to be where they are because they worked hard and made major sacrifices, for either yours own or others you know's personal gain.

Old 03-11-2010, 08:50 PM   #196
Kaiyudsai
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suncoast Herpetological View Post
Bobby I and probably 20 other breeders in the industry reviewed and commented and offerred suggestions on early drafts of NRIP several years ago. Joe did have a lot to do with those early drafts. The tick issue was big springboard for the legislators and NRIP, as I said earlier, was an effort to demonstrate self regulation by the industry. The quote you placed from Bill in your first post plainly states his agenda. I don't need to call him. It is ll there to read and i support every single sentance.

As i said earlier, some level of regulation is a foregone conclusion. It's going to happen...plain and simple. The only question is do we simply keep offering resistance to any sort of regulation, a tactic which is doomed to fail/ Or do we, as an industry, offer an alternative, more industry friendly solution? That is the purpose of NRIP.

The question comes down to a choice between a little or a whole lot of regulation. No regulation at all is no longer a viable choice.
Exactly!!!! Rejection of any kind of regulation isnt going to get us anywhere....... Like every other industry in the US, this one is going to be regulated to some extent..... So do we keep fighting and say all or nothing..... then lose it ALL... or do we try to work with the government to come to some sort of compromise?? Both sides are going to have to bend... or one side is going to lose BIG... We need some regulation. The days of the Wild West Reptile industry are long gone.

Old 03-11-2010, 09:13 PM   #197
crazyKID123195
yes my thoughts exactly

Old 03-11-2010, 09:48 PM   #198
CJReptiles
Home » Health and Environmental Stewardship » NRIP - National Reptile Improvement Program
NRIP - National Reptile Improvement Program

The trade in field-collected (native and non-native species) and captive-bred and reared reptile and amphibian species involves a variety of activities, including import/export, captive breeding, wholesale distribution, sale and ownership by individuals, zoological organizations and research institutions. The trade involves international and domestic movement of a wide variety of species of turtles, tortoises, lizards, snakes, and other reptilians and amphibians. These species have commercial, recreational, cultural and aesthetic values to diverse components of society.

The movement of such animals, if not properly managed, can cause the dispersal of ticks or other unwanted ectoparasites that accompany the specimens (field-collected or captive-bred and reared) being traded or introduced into captive breeding facilities. Absent the establishment of Best Management Practices and Standard Operating Procedures, facilities engaged in import, export, distribution or captive breeding may unintentionally cause the introduction and spread of unwanted ectoparasites that may be injurious to the host animals, other animals within or outside the facility, humans, or the environment.

It is well recognized that interest in the reptile trade and hobby is increasing and it provides a livelihood and enjoyment for many commercial businesses, and hobby and individual pet owners. Concerned members of the reptile trade and the reptile hobby recognize that the responsible management of reptilian and amphibian species benefits not only their activities, but also a far broader stakeholder community, such as agriculture and public health.

To meet these goals, a group of concerned members of the reptile/amphibian trade and hobby met with representatives of the US Department of Agriculture (USDA) and Florida's Department of Agriculture to ascertain how myriad stakeholders could work cooperatively to minimize the risk of Reptile-associated tick infestations, which are potentially injurious to agriculture and animal and human health, to increase public education and awareness, to implement voluntary standards, and to coordinate activities with appropriate regulatory agencies.

Following that meeting, the Pet Industry Joint Advisory Council (PIJAC) convened meetings in Florida to evaluate the feasibility of developing Best Management Practices (BMP) that would, among other things, provide a set of standards, most of which would be included in written Standard Operating Procedures (SOP) developed by individual participants as part of a voluntary compliance program that is designed to minimize the risk of the introduction of unwanted parasites or other identified organisms into the United States or the dispersal of such organisms among the states. Each participant would adopt written SOPs customized to meet the specific operations of each facility to ensure that the Plan's Best Management Practices have been implemented and are followed.

The National Reptile Improvement Plan (NRIP), a program to improve practices of persons involved in importation, sale or captive breeding of reptilian and amphibian species, was designed by individuals with expertise in importing, captive breeding, retail store operations, entomology, and veterinary medicine. The Plan is aimed at minimizing the risk of international or interstate movement of reptiles causing harm to the reptiles, livestock or the environment. Participation in the Plan is voluntary and available for persons that meet or exceed NRIP standards. The NRIP is designed to provide a cooperative Industry-State-Federal program that is a self-directed, self-regulated program that includes adoption and implementation of Best Management Practices, a quality assurance program, and independent verification through periodic inspections. While the Plan involves self-regulation, it works in cooperation with and under the guidance and approval of USDA-APHIS-VS and appropriate state authorities.

Download National Reptile Improvement Plan

NRIP Structure

•NRIP is not a private business. It is established as a function of a subcommittee of PIJAC, a non-profit trade association representing all segments of the pet industry in the United States. NRIP is designed to be of benefit to those involved with reptiles while at the same time safeguarding American livestock and agriculture.
•Initially, PIJAC will provide the requisite infrastructure and staff support. Depending on NRIP's acceptance and areas of activity, PIJAC may establish a separate corporate entity to provide the services associated with implementation and maintenance of the Plan.
•Every plan participant shall be required to obtain all necessary permits, licenses, or other authorizations required by federal and/or state law.
•Participation in the Plan is voluntary and open to any person, business or other entity that desires to participate and comply with the standards set forth herein.
•NRIP will meet annually for discourse, inquiry and investigation into better methods of handling, shipping, housing and husbandry.
As stated above, NRIP Accreditation is based upon a Plan Participant's adherence to the standards contained in the program. Accreditation is achieved through self-regulation and inspection that may be verified by a veterinarian, or a state department of agriculture and/or the United States Department of Agriculture veterinarian with an understanding in the handling and care of reptiles and amphibians.

The NRIP performance-based standards are prepared under the direction of the Reptile and Amphibian Subcommittee of the Governmental Affairs Committee of the Pet Industry Joint Advisory Council. These standards are subject to a broad and inclusive stakeholder review and consultation process both within and outside of PIJAC's membership.

Download Standard Operating Procedure Guidelines

In this section
NRIP Checklists

• NRIP Checklist

• Veterinarian Checklist

SOP Guidelines

• SOP Guidelines Narrative

• SOP Guidelines Short Form

PIJAC
1220 19th Street NW
Suite 400
Washington, DC 20036
Phone: 202.452.1525
Fax: 202.293.4377

Old 03-12-2010, 01:00 AM   #199
brd7666
Quote:
Originally Posted by CJReptiles View Post
Home » Health and Environmental Stewardship » NRIP - National Reptile Improvement Program
NRIP - National Reptile Improvement Program

The trade in field-collected (native and non-native species) and captive-bred and reared reptile and amphibian species involves a variety of activities, including import/export, captive breeding, wholesale distribution, sale and ownership by individuals, zoological organizations and research institutions. The trade involves international and domestic movement of a wide variety of species of turtles, tortoises, lizards, snakes, and other reptilians and amphibians. These species have commercial, recreational, cultural and aesthetic values to diverse components of society.

The movement of such animals, if not properly managed, can cause the dispersal of ticks or other unwanted ectoparasites that accompany the specimens (field-collected or captive-bred and reared) being traded or introduced into captive breeding facilities. Absent the establishment of Best Management Practices and Standard Operating Procedures, facilities engaged in import, export, distribution or captive breeding may unintentionally cause the introduction and spread of unwanted ectoparasites that may be injurious to the host animals, other animals within or outside the facility, humans, or the environment.

It is well recognized that interest in the reptile trade and hobby is increasing and it provides a livelihood and enjoyment for many commercial businesses, and hobby and individual pet owners. Concerned members of the reptile trade and the reptile hobby recognize that the responsible management of reptilian and amphibian species benefits not only their activities, but also a far broader stakeholder community, such as agriculture and public health.

To meet these goals, a group of concerned members of the reptile/amphibian trade and hobby met with representatives of the US Department of Agriculture (USDA) and Florida's Department of Agriculture to ascertain how myriad stakeholders could work cooperatively to minimize the risk of Reptile-associated tick infestations, which are potentially injurious to agriculture and animal and human health, to increase public education and awareness, to implement voluntary standards, and to coordinate activities with appropriate regulatory agencies.

Following that meeting, the Pet Industry Joint Advisory Council (PIJAC) convened meetings in Florida to evaluate the feasibility of developing Best Management Practices (BMP) that would, among other things, provide a set of standards, most of which would be included in written Standard Operating Procedures (SOP) developed by individual participants as part of a voluntary compliance program that is designed to minimize the risk of the introduction of unwanted parasites or other identified organisms into the United States or the dispersal of such organisms among the states. Each participant would adopt written SOPs customized to meet the specific operations of each facility to ensure that the Plan's Best Management Practices have been implemented and are followed.

The National Reptile Improvement Plan (NRIP), a program to improve practices of persons involved in importation, sale or captive breeding of reptilian and amphibian species, was designed by individuals with expertise in importing, captive breeding, retail store operations, entomology, and veterinary medicine. The Plan is aimed at minimizing the risk of international or interstate movement of reptiles causing harm to the reptiles, livestock or the environment. Participation in the Plan is voluntary and available for persons that meet or exceed NRIP standards. The NRIP is designed to provide a cooperative Industry-State-Federal program that is a self-directed, self-regulated program that includes adoption and implementation of Best Management Practices, a quality assurance program, and independent verification through periodic inspections. While the Plan involves self-regulation, it works in cooperation with and under the guidance and approval of USDA-APHIS-VS and appropriate state authorities.

Download National Reptile Improvement Plan

NRIP Structure

•NRIP is not a private business. It is established as a function of a subcommittee of PIJAC, a non-profit trade association representing all segments of the pet industry in the United States. NRIP is designed to be of benefit to those involved with reptiles while at the same time safeguarding American livestock and agriculture.
•Initially, PIJAC will provide the requisite infrastructure and staff support. Depending on NRIP's acceptance and areas of activity, PIJAC may establish a separate corporate entity to provide the services associated with implementation and maintenance of the Plan.
•Every plan participant shall be required to obtain all necessary permits, licenses, or other authorizations required by federal and/or state law.
•Participation in the Plan is voluntary and open to any person, business or other entity that desires to participate and comply with the standards set forth herein.
•NRIP will meet annually for discourse, inquiry and investigation into better methods of handling, shipping, housing and husbandry.
As stated above, NRIP Accreditation is based upon a Plan Participant's adherence to the standards contained in the program. Accreditation is achieved through self-regulation and inspection that may be verified by a veterinarian, or a state department of agriculture and/or the United States Department of Agriculture veterinarian with an understanding in the handling and care of reptiles and amphibians.

The NRIP performance-based standards are prepared under the direction of the Reptile and Amphibian Subcommittee of the Governmental Affairs Committee of the Pet Industry Joint Advisory Council. These standards are subject to a broad and inclusive stakeholder review and consultation process both within and outside of PIJAC's membership.

Download Standard Operating Procedure Guidelines

In this section
NRIP Checklists

• NRIP Checklist

• Veterinarian Checklist

SOP Guidelines

• SOP Guidelines Narrative

• SOP Guidelines Short Form

PIJAC
1220 19th Street NW
Suite 400
Washington, DC 20036
Phone: 202.452.1525
Fax: 202.293.4377

This topic has been discussed on a lot of forums. This thread was started for a reason. There is still good reason to be worried.

I quoted the last post because I am not sure people really understand what it is saying. I am going to give one example of what will more then likely be a part of that. Keep in mind, there is big money behind all of this, and I mean millions of dollars. Let's say you are running a business out of your home, sounds good, a lot of people do it. If this stuff goes through and you are running a business out of your home and your home is zoned RESIDENTIAL, you will be forced to go out of business.

If you were a power to be(regardless of topic), and you also had a business ( MULTI MILLION DOLLAR BUSINESS ) that was negatively affected by small time businesses, and you had the resources, or the means to put them out of business, would you try to figure out a way to put them out of business? If a big company could figure out how to eliminate it's competition, what would that do for the big company?

There are reasons most people aren't coming out and giving names of some of the people behind all of the decision making, input suggestions, and so on. The biggest reason is the fear of a law suit. I could put several names up here and there are others who could put those names up here as well. But no one is going to risk being sued over it. Some of the names behind it all are people most of you haven't even heard of.

Animal breeding, buying, selling, importing, exporting, and so on, might be a hobby or small business to most of us. But to some people it is their livelyhood and is a huge business.

FOLLOW THE MONEY.

I think USARK is doing the most for us right now, and I would encourage you to join.

At this time, I would say, we will have to wait and see what happens.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!