Selective breeding. - Page 3 - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - General Discussion Forums > Genetics, Taxonomy, Hybridization

Notices

Genetics, Taxonomy, Hybridization General discussions about the science of genetics as well as the ever changing face of taxonomy. Issues concerning hybridization are welcome here as well.

Old 11-16-2010, 05:49 PM   #21
rabernet
Please do! I'll be interested to see!

Old 08-07-2011, 12:46 PM   #22
Dbz4246
I wanted to revive this thread since I had a question about this topic anyway. First off: thank you Robin for posting those pics!

So now I ask what is the perfect form of the morph? What does the highest quality of a morph supposed to look like? For example, could someone post a pic of that perfect spider that isnt supposed to have spots? So I ask if anyone can post pics of what yall think the perfect version of that morph is supposed to represent is?
Thanks!

Old 08-07-2011, 12:46 PM   #23
Dbz4246
And by that morph, I mean any and all BP morphs

Old 08-07-2011, 06:31 PM   #24
rcpreis3
Well I guess Ill get it started.

Vanilla.

Old 08-08-2011, 12:23 PM   #25
Dbz4246
Nice, that is an amazing looking vanilla! Thank you!

Old 08-08-2011, 03:28 PM   #26
Daequix
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dbz4246 View Post
I wanted to revive this thread since I had a question about this topic anyway. First off: thank you Robin for posting those pics!

So now I ask what is the perfect form of the morph? What does the highest quality of a morph supposed to look like? For example, could someone post a pic of that perfect spider that isnt supposed to have spots? So I ask if anyone can post pics of what yall think the perfect version of that morph is supposed to represent is?

Thanks!
I am actually sad you rekindled this, though I have nothing against you or your questions--- and I do think it could be a very nice conversation to have given different circumstances. I had been unaware of the original thread and now am a bit irritated to have read it.

I understand people wanting to 'set the example' for breeding but last I checked there is no AKC in reptiles. Now if you all want to establish a Reptiles Kennel Association, that's fine--but it takes a LOT more than a small speck or cluster of breeders who have their own individual opinions to establish a standard that provides specifications for morph appearance and quality. I'd love to see some standards and qualities made more public....yet we need to realize that mud slinging at those maybe less fortunate than you isn't a nice thing. Establishing baseline criteria does not take a group of a very few to sling their rather rude comments about others in general.

When I purchase a ball python- I don't go to the grab bag and close my eyes. Each snake is purchased for a reason....whether it is aesthetically pleasing to me, meets a desired look or pattern or even just calls to me when I pass. Each is hand picked and is purchased because I want it. I happen to be very proud of my collection and the personal touch I am able to take in obtaining it, growing and nurturing them. But that is my prerogative and this is done this way because individually I find that pleasing, fun and rewarding.

I'm not in this for the money, I'm in it for the joy, the camaraderie, the community, the wonderful friends I have made over the last few years, the discussion and the ability to learn from and share with others. I enjoy what I do..even if I do complain about slinging snake poop once in a while.

While some of you may think you are much better than the community at large here-- there are many of us who are willing to be true part of the community. This entails nicely answering what is deemed a 'stupid question' by some or taking the time to support a novice breeder or person who is caring for ball pythons for the first time. There are those of us who are not going to try and stand on the shoulders of someone else to make a novice feel stupid because they didn't follow your rules or ideas.

Some times some of us don't have a big enough 'budget' to get any of those top dollar snakes. So we have to work with the hets, or those “dark normals”....or those 'ugly' snakes I am hearing about in this thread. I love each of my snakes. Some are pet status. Some are breeder status. Every one of them has a name, and always will. All of this is part of my joy and pleasure in working with Ball Pythons.

Honestly I feel comments like some (not all!) made in this thread give the reptile community a bad name, a bad taste, and a bad reputation. Don’t get me wrong in that I think there is no different quality in snakes….I just really resent the condescending comments. I do admit I can't change your personalities but...I think it is important to understand how you may appear to many of us.

Intolerance of others and looking down on others is not something I would be proud to sport. And while to some it may make some people feel better about themselves on the whole....it is a false sense of security. (This is written from my OWN opinion and viewpoint and I do not expect everyone to agree).

Old 08-08-2011, 04:24 PM   #27
Tere Salazar
Susan, every single word you said...exactly.

Honestly, I thought that's part of what made reptiles, in general, but more specifically, ball pythons so appealing is that there is one in each morph to please the eye of their beholder, and really, isn't that what matters most?

The aforementioned line of thinking is what's had me on a 3 year quest for the perfect yellow pastel (one that will remain vibrant yellow past baby-hood) ...which it seems no longer even exists.

Old 08-08-2011, 06:11 PM   #28
Diego Velarde
Great post Susan! There's a huge variety of tastes out there. I'm sure there's many people that think my snakes are butt-ugly but they put a smile on my face whenever I open their tubs, no hard feelings as long as I like them.

I do not think that anyone was looking down at anyone when posting on this thread (it's probably because English is not my native language and sometimes I dont 'get' what they're really trying to say...at least that's what I tell my wife when I dont listen to her )
I just think that people are proud of what they have and like to show them off and have every right to do so.
Most of us (small breeders) are not in it for the money and do not mass-produce to make a quick buck which I think also reflects on quality. So we put more effort into finding the perfect snake because we can only keep one or two snakes of the same morph. This effort will pay off in the end.

I admire selective breeding and like to use Mr Brian Gundy and his mojaves as a perfect example. He is all what selective breeding is all about. It took generations to get those Gold Blush mojos to what they are right now. His mojos are amazing and I like them a lot but at the same time I prefer darker mojaves because that's just my taste. Just how I like black backs on cinnies and black pastels but dislike them on lessers/butters.

Tere, I hope to put your search at rest soon

Old 08-08-2011, 07:41 PM   #29
Dbz4246
When I read the post, I didnt think anyone was really attacking anyone or putting anyone down. Different people have different tastes, so I wanted to know what others thought what the perfect example of a morph should be.

Old 08-08-2011, 08:05 PM   #30
hhmoore
I'm not afraid to label babies I produce as ugly...any more than I would hold back on saying one is awesome. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder - and people's tastes are quite varied. I've had customers that were thrilled with snakes I considered butt ugly...good for them, and good for me. AND, if I really think it is that ugly, it is more than likely that I'm pricing it accordingly to get it the heck out of here... before the ugly rubs off on the babies I like

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!