Common boa genetics help - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - General Discussion Forums > Genetics, Taxonomy, Hybridization

Notices

Genetics, Taxonomy, Hybridization General discussions about the science of genetics as well as the ever changing face of taxonomy. Issues concerning hybridization are welcome here as well.

Old 08-10-2013, 02:28 PM   #1
sndavis93
Common boa genetics help

Hi! I have a 66% het anery het albino male boa I want to breed to my triple het moonglow boa. I'm still really dicey with the genetics and am taking a class this fall semester on genetics so I'll hopefully understand this a lot more. What offspring would they produce?

Old 08-10-2013, 02:41 PM   #2
Celtic Constrictors
I would imagine possible snows (anery+albino), possible moonglows (since hypo can be passed on from a single parent), possibly ghost (hypo+anery), sunglow a (hypo+albino), albino, and lots of hets (non-visuals).

It all depends on if the anery proves out. If you get a ghost, a snow, or a moonglow it will be proved.

Old 08-10-2013, 02:42 PM   #3
Celtic Constrictors
Also you could get hypos with a het gene as well.

Old 08-10-2013, 03:20 PM   #4
sndavis93
Awesome! Thanks for the help!

Old 08-10-2013, 03:38 PM   #5
Celtic Constrictors
No problem. Sorry I can't give you % outcomes. I'm still learning that myself.

Old 08-12-2013, 06:57 PM   #6
sndavis93
Is there any way to know if the anery will prove out? His parents are an albino and an anery. He looks anery up until the end of his tail and then the color comes in.

Old 08-12-2013, 07:05 PM   #7
hhmoore
If one of the parents was an anery, he isn't a 66% het (he IS het anery).

Old 08-12-2013, 07:08 PM   #8
sndavis93
Awesome! I thought that would be the case but the guy was selling his friend's offspring. He probably didn't know any better.

Old 08-12-2013, 08:42 PM   #9
Celtic Constrictors
I thought anery was recessive like albino. Are you saying its co-dominant like hypomelanism?

Old 08-12-2013, 09:57 PM   #10
hhmoore
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sanguine84 View Post
I thought anery was recessive like albino. Are you saying its co-dominant like hypomelanism?
Not at all - 66% hets are the product of het x het pairings. If the pairing WAS albino x anery, the snake is a double het.
Breeding the double het to the triple het moonglow could yield:
Possible double hets, hypo possible double hets, albino poss het anery, sunglow poss het anery, anery poss het albino, ghost poss het albino, snow, & moonglow.

That is, naturally, assuming that the pairing really was albino x anery. If the snake is actually het albino, 66% het anery - as was originally posted - none of the anery related morphs will happen unless he proves.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!