So you like hybrids??? - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - General Discussion Forums > Genetics, Taxonomy, Hybridization

Notices

Genetics, Taxonomy, Hybridization General discussions about the science of genetics as well as the ever changing face of taxonomy. Issues concerning hybridization are welcome here as well.

Old 04-19-2005, 11:30 PM   #1
themselves
So you like hybrids???

I love them, thats y im doing this.
Attached Images

Old 04-20-2005, 12:21 AM   #2
robin d.
ug more

Old 04-20-2005, 05:05 AM   #3
DAND
So you'll end up with Bloody Balls?

Old 04-20-2005, 06:35 AM   #4
KelliH
So what is about hybrids that you like so much?

Old 04-20-2005, 08:29 AM   #5
cthulhu77
all of the hybridizers I have met have a "crank" issue...wanting to stick out in a crowd, so to speak.
That being said, I really have nothing against hybrids...and have seen some really pretty animals come from crossing. Don't really see the need for them myself, but hell's bells...to each his own.
I just get bored by all the crowing and self promotion...yawn.
greg

Old 04-20-2005, 11:13 AM   #6
revjim
What an interesting read. If you haven't done so, take a look at the reply from Seamus Haley in the "I Think Hybrids Are Great" thread below. It is nice to see such an intelligent and informed response.

Philosophically, I would suggest that everyone has a line they are not willing to cross. Some "purists" are opposed to hybridization. Others are opposed to keeping snakes captive in rubbermaid containers. If the goal is to have viable progeny available to release in the wild, then what do we say about species that are not endangered? It's like the f/t food issue. The people who rant and rave about rodents being raised as food for snakes, generally don't think about how their steak made it into the grocery store, or what the ingredients are in the kibble they feed their cherished lap dog.

Honesty seems to be the key - and the problem. We need to be responsible in our choices and honest in our representation of the animals we sell. And before we judge anyone else, we need to take an honest look at ourselves. It can be a very humbling proposition.

Old 04-20-2005, 02:10 PM   #7
FreakOfNature66
I am totally cool with hybrids as long as they are 100% labeled. If Im getting a hybrid I want to know. But yeah everyone has their limitations and barriers and they must be respected.

Old 04-20-2005, 08:12 PM   #8
themselves
think about it! is what we are doing truely wrong?? no

actually im not on a power trip, and im not trying to stand out in producing borneoballs, im taking my love for 2 different speices and making it one. and as far as taxonomy goes, what do we really know, we just give them names and lables for what we think we really know when we ourselves can not truely dig deep enough into the bloodlines of the animals and see true relation between species. for if you havent noticed there are animals like a certain specie of sand boa which lays eggs. and ive never heard of any other kinda of boa doing that, so maybe somewhere down the line there is some python in those boas. hell snakes are alllllll snakes, just because of location, or habbitat, or how they like to live and what they like to eat doesnt mean there is no relation between species far away from each other or from all the species at all! there use to be only one land mass on this planet, "pangea" and at that one time all the evolving species were just about incontact with each other, and since all the species were not developed from the single cell organism differently they all basically orginated from each other. so far down the line there are ties! just like human beings if you think about it. we are all hybrids too. since when is there one single type of person from a certain location that is soo isolated that there bloodlines never crossed with anyone else??? very less likely! and im more then positively sure that wile you sit here and read this there are animals hybridizing themselves of there own free will. and im more then positive of this because i myself have capture a hybrid before, the proof is out there. and its not like all the hybrids are gonna get out in teh wild and destroy the animals that live in nature and will continue to reprouce pure species. you act like as if the hybrids are gonna get on a boat and go to countries all over and destroy the pure animals in the wild. IT WONT HAPPEN! and with what control people have over hybrids now, and all snakes for that matter, say one hybrid does get out, well let see were in america first off, so it will more then likely die lonely with no offspring. well say one gets out in the wild. like a jungle corn gets out and breeds to a king and corn, well the fertility rate is low anyway, and lets not forget the hybrid curse. and then you have to factor in nature! will it find food? will it become food? will it survive. you people are over reacting to this whole hybrid thing. you yourself are a hybrid, y dont we say your condemmed to hell, and that you shouldnt have children because they will be muts too! yeah thats right.

and i myself plan on representing my animals as what they are. BEAUTIFUL RARE COMPLEX WONDERFUL ANIMALS and i wont sell them as anything less, if infact i plan on selling any, since this is my own project. and i have plans for these hyrbids which people see nothing in. which there is more potential then anything!!!!! most of the reason you people dont like hybrids is because your views are opinionated and you havent heard it from the side of the creater of the hyrbids and truely seen any or worked with any or produced any. its all opinionated and you have to be contraversial about a subject like this. most of the people that produce hybrids are doing it for there love of the speices themselves and would like to see how great the speices could be together. personally your ither for hybrids or agiasnt them, but they are bringing about a change to herpetoculture as we speak.

When jungle corns came out 20 or so years ago i never heard anyone complaining, what about the creamsicle morph of corns? thats a hybrid but you dont say a word when you ad it to your colubrid collection and then breed it to your others thinking its pure, well its not, and you dont seem to mind. im sure there alot of you out there who own unpure animals and ither dont know or dont mind and think its ok to an extent but wont see past that.

I myself use to loath hybrids, until i saw the most beautiful animal ever! A superball produce by Steve Roussis. and still to this day ive never seen a more beautiful animal in my life. and upon reading about them i became obsessed and inthralled with the animal. so now i plan on producing some of my own just for me, and maybe some of my friends who would like some of there own.

so if you actually read all of this, is what im doing really wrong? am i causing a crime against nature? i dont think so.

jeff

Old 04-20-2005, 09:50 PM   #9
cthulhu77
Quote:"actually im not on a power trip, and im not trying to stand out in producing borneoballs"

then why oh why are you blathering on and on about it???? Yep, you have some snakes breeding. Cool. Ok, next issue...

greg

Old 04-20-2005, 11:00 PM   #10
themselves
well what are you doing right now that your actually proud of? doesnt seem like you have anything to show for of yourself and your work? wow you do art, how interesting and exciting i would be thrilled and shakin out of my seat to get in on that action. its not like i asked you personnally to come over and shoot me down, just because im proud of something that i greatly wanted to acomplish. its not like i asked your personnal opinion about what im doing, like how i just kinda picked out your art work and made a slanderous remark. and part of this forum i think is called "HYBRIDIZATION" NOT "TROLLS RANT AGAINST HYBRIDS"

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!