Bingeing Netflix - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > General Interest Forums > General BS forum

Notices

General BS forum I guess anything is fair game in here. Just watch the subject matter doesn't get carried away too much.

Old 09-19-2014, 03:05 PM   #1
Lucille
Bingeing Netflix

A true Netflix binge is watching an entire series over the course of a weekend, and I haven't done that.
But I am semi-bingeing by watching three or once even four episodes of a show at one sitting. Currently I'm watching Blacklist, to me it is riveting and bingeable.
Have you ever binged Netflix?

Old 09-19-2014, 03:27 PM   #2
Austin-12
Must be a Texas thing ;-) OITNB, Bates Motel, Hemlock Grove all in less than a week....haven't heard anything about Blacklist....will have to try that.

Old 09-19-2014, 05:09 PM   #3
AbsoluteApril
Utta and I binge watch shows all the time
Not always the full series in one sitting, usually a season at a time and we're generally working on more than one show at a time.

Haven't seen Blacklist yet, what would you compare it to? Is it like Law and Order? The Wire?

Old 09-19-2014, 05:19 PM   #4
Lucille
I have not seen Law and Order or the Wire yet.
I didn't watch a lot of TV for many years, that is reaping benefits now as I have a bunch of movies and series that are good and I'm watching them for the first time.

Old 09-20-2014, 04:09 AM   #5
Robert Walker
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucille View Post
Have you ever binged Netflix?
Absolutely! We don't have cable but use Netflix via ROKU device on our TV (awesome).

We have put down several shows before: Scandal, Prison Break, Survivor (TV series, working on it now) and my personal favorite The Walking Dead. My wife left for a trip a while back and I decided to give a show that I had never heard of before a try, The Walking Dead. Once you get over the initial gag reflex of zombie gore, the story is super well written and I am totally sucked in. Goes against what I thought I would like, but I'm hooked.

Old 09-20-2014, 06:28 AM   #6
Lucille
I agree having the Roku and watching Netflix shows on a TV rather than computer is awesome.

Old 10-29-2014, 05:20 PM   #7
WebSlave
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Walker View Post
Absolutely! We don't have cable but use Netflix via ROKU device on our TV (awesome).
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucille View Post
I agree having the Roku and watching Netflix shows on a TV rather than computer is awesome.
I've got a new blu-ray player on order that offered a Roku Streaming Stick as an option, so I sprang for it. I'm not one for watching TV, quite frankly, simply because I refuse to subject myself to the bombardment of commercials they throw at you. I'm figuring it would be cheaper to watch a newer movie this way rather than buying the blu-ray disk, and as often has been the case, throw it in the scrap pile after watching the junk that passes for movies these days. If I do get a keeper, I can always buy a copy then.

So how does this Netflix work? I went to their website, but it really didn't tell me much. Cost? I see they are offering the first month for free now, but I really don't want to sign up till I get the hardware set up. Can you pause the play midstream? Is throughput better some times of the day than others?

Anyone come up with an online popcorn maker yet?

Old 10-29-2014, 05:40 PM   #8
Lucille
I signed up with Netflix, costs me $8.65/month with tax just for the flix, no DVDs. My son set up the Roku which was not very expensive so I can watch either on my computer or on the TV. You can pause what you are watching, back it up, speed it forward.
I mostly watch in the evening and it does fine.
You can go to a site instantwatcher.com that does a good job of organizing the Netflix stuff you can see, and you can queue up what you want to watch.

Old 10-29-2014, 05:53 PM   #9
Robert Walker
Quote:
Originally Posted by WebSlave View Post
So how does this Netflix work? I went to their website, but it really didn't tell me much. Cost? I see they are offering the first month for free now, but I really don't want to sign up till I get the hardware set up. Can you pause the play midstream? Is throughput better some times of the day than others?

Anyone come up with an online popcorn maker yet?
How does Netflix work? There are basically two options:

Option A: Have them mail you physical DVD's to your mail box. You watch/keep them as long as you like. You send it back when you want and they send you a new one from a wishlist you have already come up with yourself. I used to do this, but no longer since there are better options. The DVD option lets you get "newer" movie releases similar to a RedBox. About $8 a month.

Option B: About $8 a month also. Stream movies/TV shows to your location. Roku is simply the device that allows you to connect Netflix to your TV. Netflix maintains a "library" of shows and movies. The library will change over time as they add and remove shows/movies. This is perfect to binge watch and for people who HATE commercials. At my house we can watch Netflix all at the same time on two computers, two tvs and a Kindle Fire. Everyone can watch their own shows at once... extreme example.

Also you can cancel and turn back on your subscription at any time.

This is the break down of the quality of movies and shows, in 'my' opinion.
Option A: DVDs: 50% A & B grade movies. Other 50% basically garbage.
Option B: Streaming: 25% A & B grade movies and shows. The other 75% is garbage for adults. Lots of kids stuff.

So for $8, we watch a couple of movies a month, perhaps an entire TV series and the kids watch all the My Little Pony and Power Rangers they can stand.
Awesome value, can't find better entertainment for only $8 IMO.

The ROKU is awesome not only because you can hook up to NetFlix, but one of my favorites is VUDU. VUDU is another channel on ROKU. Where Netflix has 'their' library, VUDU is basically ondemand pay per-view of t-h-o-u-s-a-n-d-s of shows and movies. You can either buy or rent most anything you can possibly think of.

I will never go back to cable, ever! Sorry no solution for popcorn yet?

Old 10-31-2014, 11:40 PM   #10
WebSlave
OK, I got the player and Roku stick today. Got the player all hooked up and working, but haven't messed with the Roku beyond setting up an account with them.

Been looking at the selections at Vudu. What do they mean by "Own, from $12.99. Digital exclusive. Currently no available on disk." ? What exactly do you "own"?