Feeding Roaches - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Lizard Discussion Forums > Geckos Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 03-23-2005, 04:00 PM   #1
mindcrash
Feeding Roaches

This is a question to everyone who feeds their Leos roaches...

How do you do it? I have a Lobster colony that I'm feeding them from and right now I have been cutting off their legs before putting them in with my Leos. This is so the roaches don't immediately scurry off to a hiding spot. But I feel bad about cutting their legs off plus it's time consuming. It's not so bad now, but as my collection grows it will get tiresome.

So how do you guys successfully feed them? Do you put them in something to keep them in one spot, or just let them run around as they will?

Thanks!

Old 03-23-2005, 05:20 PM   #2
Xelda
You may want to try feeding the adults since they aren't nearly as fast as the juvenile roaches. I put them in a tall cup with a little bit of calcium dust and then shake them. It disorients them and also keeps them from climbing up the side of the cup. The sound also alerts my geckos that it's time to eat, so they're ready to pounce as soon as the roach drops in. Usually the roaches will scurry around and eventually get eaten if you leave them in the cage. The baby roaches are pretty quick, but baby leos are actually really good at catching them if you just leave them in the cage.

Old 03-23-2005, 10:49 PM   #3
mindcrash
Thanks, but I guess my problem is that when i don't cut off their legs they just run and hide and aren't eaten...my geckos don't tend to jump out and eat them right away.

Any other suggestions?

Old 03-23-2005, 11:42 PM   #4
progeckos
I feed my lobsters a few different ways. The first way is pinching them. This is an effective way but can be time consuming with a lot of leos. I just take tweezers and pinch them. They then become paralyzed so they can’t climb but they will still move to attract attention.

A better and faster way is to take a container that’s about 1½” tall and cover the sides with Crisco which is a vegetable oil. It doesn’t hurt the geckos at all and the roaches can’t climb on it. After a while it does get dirty but I just put it in the dish washer and get a new one. This is probably the most effective way to feed a lot of geckos. Hope that helps.

Old 03-24-2005, 12:19 AM   #5
mindcrash
Thank Cody! I'll try the dish method, that sounds like it will do the trick for me.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!