Which GTP/GTB are easiest to handle?? - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Snake Discussion Forums > Arboreal Boas/Pythons Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 12-01-2007, 05:13 PM   #1
BooYa
Which GTP/GTB are easiest to handle??

I am considering getting a GTP or a GTB in a couple months.
This would be my first snake, as far as ownership. I have cared for snakes in the past, but not arboreal or anything beyond beginner. I have owned herps in the past including chameleons.

Between the GTP, sorong, Gumpara, Jampei ( my spelling may be FAR off(, and GTBs...which of these has the best temperment?? If there is one that I did not mention please suggest.

Also, will a 65 gallon reptarium be ok for one of these snakes as babies??

Thanks
Nick

Old 12-02-2007, 12:40 AM   #2
ravensgait
By GTB I take it you mean Emerald tree boas either Northerns or Basins. There a number of Green tree python(Chondro's) localities. Arboreals are touchier to keep than most other boas and pythons but of the two Emeralds and Chondro's I'd say that over all Chondro's are the easier to keep.

As far as Temperment I'd say Basin Emeralds are the least nippy though I've had some pretty mellow Northerns. Of the Chondro's the Biak's are known to be the fiestier of the lot but again you can find mellow members of each local but in my experience the Aru's and Kafiau's tend to be the calmest.

As far as jumping into Arboreals I think you'd do better to start with something easier to keep. Amason tree boas are a good animal to begin with, they are pretty hardy but many are rather nasty and don't like to be messed with(good training in how not to get bitten by the Emeralds and Chondro's who have bigger teeth) Another easier to keep arboreal is the Madagascar tree Boas a very nice looking animal that very hardy and not at all nippy. Whatever you choose I'd suggest your first animal be an adult or sub adult and Captive born and bred only. I have nothing against Wild Caught animals I've owned a number of them but they can be a lot more difficult to deal with than a Captive born.

I'd suggest you do a lot of research before buying any of them, one great thing about the Internet is the ease in find info. Just type in the name of the beast your interested in and you can find websites and articles galor on keeping and caging. hope this helps...Randy

Old 12-02-2007, 01:27 PM   #3
BooYa
Thanks for your input. I do plan on doing lots of research. I am also not 100% on this species of snake. The reason I am doing all my homework on this one is because I have only handled juv ball pythons and peeled the caps off their eyes when they had trouble shedding.
I will look into the species you mentioned.

BTW, why an adult?? I would think a juv would be easier to manage as far as handling over the course of it growing up.

Old 12-03-2007, 01:46 AM   #4
ravensgait
Babies can be tough on people who have experience with them so better to start with an animal that is less likely to add any more problems... Randy

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!