1st time snake owner - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Snake Discussion Forums > Rosy, Sand, Ground Boas/Pythons Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 09-04-2010, 03:35 AM   #1
july08_2003
1st time snake owner

Hello everyone I'm Jay and I am looking to buy a snake for my fiancee who really wants one. So being this will be our first, i want to narrow the field. Which type of snake will be the smallest and stay the smallest, easiest to care for, inexpensive, but eat small mice, not bugs. Thanks ahead of time.

Old 09-04-2010, 12:21 PM   #2
tortoiseman453
I think I know

I personally think a kenyan sand boa would be a good choice

Old 09-05-2010, 02:54 PM   #3
Charis
Kenyan sand boa, Rosy boa, African house snake or Western Hognose would be some of my suggestions for a small snake. Male Garters are also good, but it really depends on what kind of temperament you want.

Old 09-08-2010, 05:18 PM   #4
crissabella
Myself, i recommend the Kenyans, i have 5 of them myself, and they are terrific snakes to keep. males usually top off at 18 inches as adults while females get to around 30 inches as adults. My full grown adult female is on f/t small rats now, she actually got tired of the mice

Old 09-10-2010, 01:01 AM   #5
july08_2003
Thanks for suggestions everyone.

Old 09-10-2010, 11:38 PM   #6
Payara
Also look into Children's, Stimson's, Spooted, and even Irian Jaya carpets (males a lil over 4 ft)

Old 09-11-2010, 08:19 PM   #7
Serenity
I have sand boas AND garters and love them both. As far as the garters go, I am most impressed with my coccinnus garter's disposition. They're placid for handling yet active. Mine doesn't miss much going on outside her tank. However, how are you about dicing up earthworms to feed the babies????? Yeah, its really gross but worth it. I can hand feed my baby. They do eat more frequently than other breeds of snakes. My other snakes I usually feed once a week. The garters eat three times a week. But they grow VERY FAST!

A Kenyan sand boa was my very first snake. I still have him and he's one of my favorites. He's especially good with people who are fearful of snakes. The only thing I would say AGAINST them is that they hide so much, you might not even know you have a snake. ( But I kinda like doing the "Where's Waldo?" thing looking for the snout! ) For this reason, some people find them too boring. But this only leaves more of them for those of us that love them!

Good luck in your search and don't forget to get pics of your eventual choice to share!;-)

Devon

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!