Questions about worms for cresties - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Lizard Discussion Forums > Geckos Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 07-08-2016, 09:00 PM   #1
jessthebionerd
Questions about worms for cresties

Hello, we're considering adding some insects to the diets of our geckos and so I was looking for some advice. For some background, we currently feed Pangea complete diets regularly. We have fed crickets with some success but have only done so rarely. While I understand many people feed Dubia roaches with much success, we have no way to have a colony and have too small a number of geckos to need the amounts available in shipments.

We are leaning to worms for sake of convenience and storage, also I'm not a big fan of the whole biting and escaping that crickets do.

So, while researching online I found some people recommend wax worms, some Phoenix worms, some silkworms.

I understand from nutritional analysis I found that Phoenix worms have the most complete nutrition and most even calcium phosphorous ratio.

So I was wondering if anyone has had success with these species and which they would recommend.

We would prefer to feed worms once every 1-3 weeks preferably.

Thank you in advance.

Old 07-11-2016, 02:33 PM   #2
MomofDnNnD
I have 3 cresties and they all liked the phoenix worms. I just bought a small container and fed from there, but they do morph into soldier flies so they may only last in worm form for 1-2 weeks. Now that they are older my three won't eat any bugs, just the Pangea.
Just be careful if you decide to use waxworms because they are more of a treat as they are fattening. And silkworms are always a great alternative, but they can be expensive and hard to find.

Old 07-14-2016, 01:11 AM   #3
Pasodama
As far as worms go, I agree with MomofDnNnd.
Phoenix worms are great to feed and silkworms are pretty good too.
Also want to add, although you did not mention them and may know already, to avoid feeding mealworms to Cresties.

Old 07-14-2016, 01:13 AM   #4
jessthebionerd
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pasodama View Post
As far as worms go, I agree with MomofDnNnd.
Phoenix worms are great to feed and silkworms are pretty good too.
Also, although you did not mention them and may know already, avoid feeding mealworms to Cresties.

Thank you! I'm totally aware about the mealworms, thank you for mentioning that though in case anyone else reads this. I was leaning mostly towards the Phoenix worms.

2.1.4 Correlophus ciliatus

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!