Housing Multiple Snakes - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Snake Discussion Forums > Other Snakes Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 11-12-2009, 08:25 PM   #1
Lucidum
Housing Multiple Snakes

I currently have a Aneryth Corn Snake hatchling, and I was planning to add another snake to his 20 gallon tank once he gets a bit bigger. Aside from obviously not adding a king snake, are other snakes fairly okay being housed with Corns? I was thinking particularly about housing him with a northern water snake or a garter snake variety, since they have similiar(ish) requirements in temperature and humidity. Eventually the new snake will get its own tank (once the corn's old enough to add another corn for breeding), but for the first year or so, does this seem like it would work?

Old 11-13-2009, 09:47 AM   #2
MDC_Ophiuchus
I'm not sure where you got your information from, but water snakes and garters do not have the same humidity and temperature needs. Even more importantly, they have very different habitat needs. Cornsnakes are typically more terrestrial, dwelling in forests, shrublands, and fields. Waters and garters are semi-aquatic in nature, usually residing near swamps and other bodies of water; their captive habitat should reflect this.
-------------
I never house snakes together. First and foremost, there's the risk of cannibalism, even among species you wouldn't expect (even cornsnakes). I have personally witnessed a cornsnake eating another of its own kind. Other species I have also seen are, the aforementioned garter snakes, children's pythons, and other U.S. ratsnakes.

Secondly, there's the issue of disease and parasite transmission. Snake mites are a very realistic threat. If one snake somehow ingests any fluid or fecal matter from another (often only by crawling over or through a pile of feces), it will likely contract whatever the other animal has. Its just simply not worth the risk.

Thirdly, although there may not be any direct hostility from each other, just simply being in the presence of another animal in the same enclosure (regardless of size) can stress out one or both snakes. Depending on the health and species involved, this can lead to a loss of appetite.
-------

If you want to get another snake, I highly suggest getting a whole new cage for it. Don't mix snakes together.

Old 11-13-2009, 01:04 PM   #3
Tim Cole
Quote:
Originally Posted by MDC_Ophiuchus View Post
I'm not sure where you got your information from, but water snakes and garters do not have the same humidity and temperature needs. Even more importantly, they have very different habitat needs. Cornsnakes are typically more terrestrial, dwelling in forests, shrublands, and fields. Waters and garters are semi-aquatic in nature, usually residing near swamps and other bodies of water; their captive habitat should reflect this.
-------------
I never house snakes together. First and foremost, there's the risk of cannibalism, even among species you wouldn't expect (even cornsnakes). I have personally witnessed a cornsnake eating another of its own kind. Other species I have also seen are, the aforementioned garter snakes, children's pythons, and other U.S. ratsnakes.

Secondly, there's the issue of disease and parasite transmission. Snake mites are a very realistic threat. If one snake somehow ingests any fluid or fecal matter from another (often only by crawling over or through a pile of feces), it will likely contract whatever the other animal has. Its just simply not worth the risk.

Thirdly, although there may not be any direct hostility from each other, just simply being in the presence of another animal in the same enclosure (regardless of size) can stress out one or both snakes. Depending on the health and species involved, this can lead to a loss of appetite.
-------

If you want to get another snake, I highly suggest getting a whole new cage for it. Don't mix snakes together.
I second that, word for word!

Old 11-13-2009, 03:14 PM   #4
Lucidum
Alright, thanks for the feedback, I'll keep that all in mind, and get a different tank for any other snakes I get. As for who told me the requirements of corns were similiar to water and garters, that would be my local disreputable pet shop owner. I knew the info sounded fishy, which is why I asked.

Old 11-13-2009, 04:11 PM   #5
Kiote_9
You can always buy a Rubbermade or Sterlite for temporary housing. (I have a couple of snakes living in them while I decide on my next rack.) They are inexpensive and reuseable and you can stack them.

Old 11-14-2009, 02:26 AM   #6
evilcowboy420
::

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiote_9 View Post
You can always buy a Rubbermade or Sterlite for temporary housing. (I have a couple of snakes living in them while I decide on my next rack.) They are inexpensive and reuseable and you can stack them.
Thats what I was going to suggest. They are cheap and will cause you not to have to go crazy with buy a new tank.

I also agree with the above. Snakes simply should not live together. They are in no way social.

Old 11-14-2009, 10:55 PM   #7
tinmantribe5
Bunk Bags! HE he Get it

Old 11-14-2009, 10:58 PM   #8
tinmantribe5
I know my wife said that joke stank up the joint..........

Old 11-29-2009, 11:14 PM   #9
Snyds
How about rough greens together? From what I hear, in the wild they often hang together, especially when going into hibernation mode.

Old 11-30-2009, 01:43 PM   #10
evilcowboy420
There is more to consider when housing multiple snakes. Not just the stress of living together but also the fact if one gets sick they all do. It will then cost you quite a bit to take them all to the vet. Separate housing will in the long run save you money.

There are a few species that should have no problem living together but you just want to make sure you are prepared for mites, RI, or other illnesses.

Garters hibernate in large quantities but I still wouldn't house them together. that is just my opinion and you can take the approach you want, I just want you to consider all possibilities.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!