"Monster" Bulls aka Hwy #277 Bullsnakes - Page 2 - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - General Discussion Forums > General Herp Talk

Notices

General Herp Talk Can't figure out where to post down in the other discussion forums? Too many options and too complicated? Well post your herp related messages here and to heck with it.

Old 02-29-2008, 09:22 PM   #11
Otter_23
When you refer to something as a genetic line you are implying that what you are selling will reproduce itself. So if you say it is a genetic line of Monster bulls you are saying that you have proven out this line to be monsters. Which it sounds like in this case is misleading at best.

Old 02-29-2008, 10:54 PM   #12
homegrownherps
Billy - Certainly I'll tell you... I got taken in by the advertisement of these particular animals. The were advertised as "MONSTER BULL 9+ Truly monsters", That's what I thought I was buying into ...animals that could reach 9+ in length.

Why do you bring Shannon's name into this? Did I say anywhere that I purchased my animals from Shannon?
I did not buy my animals directly from Shannon, but they were produced by Shannon. And knowing that they were Shannon's, and he was advertising them as he was, was the sole reason I purchased them.

But since you did, your right I did talk to him on the phone, through emails and through forums. He did say that "the "genetics" are there for them to reach those monster lengths". I believe it is in one of his posts as well. You say they are what they are...they are hwy #277 animals NOT monster bulls. If some one claims that the genetics are there for them to grow to these Monster lengths, then there should be some one out there that's has some captive hatch offspring that has grown at least 8'+.

My main purpose for this thread was to seek out others who have any experience with raising captive bred offspring , not to verify that monster sized bull snakes can be caught in the wild. I have no doubt of that and do not question it. But it seems no one out there has raised a so called "Monster" bull to those advertised sizes. And it seems premature to market them as such w/o any having been kept back to see that the captive hatched animals actually reach the Monster lengths.

I am not frustrated at all, disappointed??? Yes - in their size. But still, they are nice animals and have had no problems with feeding or health. You and Shannon are right...they are what they are, simple ordinary Hwy #277 Bull snakes.....nothing more.

And so after waiting 5 years for them to reach these "Monster" lengths, I believe I am not wrong in any sense trying to find out some background about these animals publicly. As the Breeder himself, has no knowledge of the size they reach in captivity. In the 10 years he has been breeding them, he has not kept back a single baby.

I will for certain label them as Hwy #277 Bullsnakes. That's what they should have been sold as from the beginning, because in 4-5 years from now I don't want to have try to explain to my customers why they haven't reached the "Monster" size.

And I also want to add that when I talked to Shannon and KJ, I told them that I am not looking for any compensation what so ever, Just background info. And as I mentioned above and in several posts already...input from people that have actually raised CAPTIVE HATCHED offspring.

Old 03-21-2008, 11:47 PM   #13
homegrownherps
Just thought I would give this thread a bump. I am still looking for anyone who has info on raising CAPTIVE HATCHED Hwy #277 aka "Monster Bulls".

Old 10-30-2020, 12:41 PM   #14
CornNut
Know this is an older thread but wondering if anyone still here has now 17 year old hwy 277 bull snakes and if the EVENTUALLY did get big? I would certainly have expected there to be a genetic component to the parent’s size. Maybe the live longer and/or continue to grow later in life?

Old 10-30-2020, 12:44 PM   #15
CornNut
Sorry, a couple “the” should be “they”

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!