Northern Pine Snakes - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Snake Discussion Forums > Pituophis & Drymarchon Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 01-27-2010, 01:00 PM   #1
Snoopysmom
Northern Pine Snakes

I purchased a pair of Northern Pines Snakes at a reptile show a few weeks ago. This is a new species for me... so I have a few questions.

The guy I bought them from said that they were eating f/t juv mice. I am doubting that since I've tried to feed them a couple of times now. They would push the f/t mouse but wouldn't eat it. I even tried a fresh killed mouse and no luck there either. Today I tried a couple live juv mouse and both of them ate them. I would rather they ate the f/t or a fresh killed... how do I switch them over?

The male made this awful hissing sound today when I opened his cage... it was a little unnerving. He has always vibrated his tail but the hissing is new. He didn't strike at me but I was really unsure if he would or not. Is this a normal thing for pines?

Can I keep the male and female in the same cage? Since most of my experience is with kings I have kept them apart but would like to co-habitate them if possible for space saving reasons.

Any other helpful info on these guys would be appreciated. The plan is to incorporate them into my wildlife programs... maybe breed them down the road sometime... both are supposed to be het for albino.

Thanks

Old 01-29-2010, 06:51 PM   #2
leper65
Pines are notorious hissers, they "a modified flap in front of their epiglottis enabling them to sound off a loud gutteral hiss". My '09 female hisses from time to time, but not as often as when I first got her...same with the tail vibrating. Never bitten or struck either.

To get them to eat F/T, I would put one in container with F/T mouse and leave them in there overnight if you have to. If he/she doesn't eat, I'd wait another week and try again, repeat as necessary...within reason. After a month of refusals I would have to rethink it!

Mine doesn't have a strong feeding response, but she's always eaten. If yours has eaten F/T before, I would think they'd accept them again if they are hungry enough.

I don't house snakes together, but from what I have read on the Pines, you can probably get away with housing them together if they are the same size or close without any problems, don't feed them together! Maybe you can come up with a tank divider?

http://www.homegrownherps.com/Care%2..._pituophis.htm

http://www.kingsnake.com/pituophis/care_group1.html

http://www.neherp.com/care-sheets/38...ake-care-sheet

Old 01-29-2010, 07:11 PM   #3
starwarsdad
I would discourage keeping them together except for breeding. There are few instances of cannibalism but most species are stressed by sharing an enclosure. Think about what you are asking, can I do this, because it is more convenient for me? Think about the long term health of the animal and do what is best for them.

Pituophis are my absolute favorites. Enjoy them!!!

Old 02-02-2010, 11:43 AM   #4
zipzagger
Once they eat a live mouse, immediately give them a thawed mouse on tongs that has been thawed in hot water and is soaking wet. This way they are also getting a good deal of water. I shake the mouse in their face and even after they have struck and wrapped, I keep pulling on it for a bit.

Also, my pine snake will not eat anything but rodents and there is no danger whatsoever of keeping her with another snake, as long as it isn't a snake that might eat her. I used to house her with a pair of bulls. They get used to it.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!