Leo genetics question... - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Lizard Discussion Forums > Geckos Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 05-19-2012, 09:55 PM   #1
Paul Kent
Leo genetics question...

So Im relatively new to leos and I cant seem to get a goos answer..

Below is a picture of a gecko of mine that just hatched out a few weeks ago from whats supposed to be a male snow enigma 100% het radar male and a snow bell female. I know its not always 100% apparent what the genetics are right away so I researched a little bit and came across leopardgeckowiki.com. I clicked on whats supposed to be a black hole example and there what looks like an photo copy of my newbie. Now, a black hole is supposed to be an enigma, mack snow, eclipse. And according to the site "the Eclipse trait blocks out the coloring the Enigma trait would show in the eyes so the eyes are a solid black". My little guy has the same jet black eyes, yet theres not supposed to be an eclipse gene in the female, therefore it shouldnt show up in the offspring.

In short, is there another explanation, genetically, for the eyes to be black? Like I said, Im fairly new, and still learning....
Attached Images

Old 05-19-2012, 09:59 PM   #2
snowgyre
Sometimes freshly hatched babies seem to have jet black eyes that lighten with age. I would wait a day or so and look at the eyes again. It's hard to tell in this photograph if he/she has black eyes. It's definitely a snow enigma, just not sure about the eclipse. Your female could be an undocumented het for eclipse... leopard geckos have been crossbred so much that I wouldn't be surprised that a lot of "normals" out there are actually het for something or other.

Old 05-19-2012, 10:05 PM   #3
Paul Kent
"he's" about 2 weeks old by this point and eyes are black as night. It was a thought about the female having the eclipse gene without being known but I figured that would be a rare case. I figured theyre was some kind of common thing where theyre born with dark eyes and it lightens up. would there be any other reason for it?

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!