So sick of experts... - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > General Interest Forums > SOUND OFF!!!

Notices

SOUND OFF!!! Ever have something REALLY bugging you and nowhere to vent about it? Well, this is the place. It does not have to be fauna oriented at all! Get it off your chest right here.

Old 06-11-2011, 09:23 PM   #1
MDC_Ophiuchus
So sick of experts...

Just a little venting here...

I am getting so tired of these self-proclaimed "experts" going around bragging about how much experience they have, which "big names" they know, and/or how much knowledge they have on such-and-such species. I mean, I personally feel if you're knowledgeable enough about something, and if you are genuinely trying to be helpful, people will acknowledge your expertise.

There's no need for all this chest-puffing, online strutting, and whatnot. Nor is it necessary to belittle anyone else who doesn't happen to know as much as you do. Everyone is here to learn as well as help educate others when possible (or at least they should be!).

I certainly do not claim to be an expert on anything. I know what I know based on my own experience, and what I learn from others. Sometimes I may not be immediately aware of new developments regarding a particular species, and I will certainly admit when I am wrong.

And I don't care how old you are, who you know, how many yrs of experience you have, or how many great books you have in your herp library. If you are an arrogant little snot, and you feel like you have to tell everyone you're an expert...then I will not take you seriously. To make an analogy, you may have a great product, but presentation is everything. If you come across as a know-it-all jerk, your attitude will effectively overshadow any helpful information you may be attempting to share. Just because someone may not know as much as you, doesn't make them stupid. They may be ignorant, but thats easily curable. But remember that not everyone has the time or the passion to learn about everything about every single species of herp on the planet, so don't have a mental breakdown when you meet someone who doesn't know the entire taxonomy of this genera, or the detailed natural history of that species.

There's a lot of people out there who think a little too highly of themselves. We have enough issues in this hobby without inflated egos getting in the way of things.

(sigh)...thats all for now.

Old 06-11-2011, 09:50 PM   #2
MDC_Ophiuchus
One of my favorite quotes from some "experts":

Quote:
I have been in this business for over 30+ years and have worked for one of the largest Dealers in the U.S...~...some people just like to be heard even though they really haven't been doing this work for as long as I have and have any of them ever been published worldwide twice for working in the herpetological field?? Well I have, as well as the fact that i am one the leading exotics experts here in Florida, so all you posers go lay down somewhere and be quiet!!!
So modest...

Old 06-12-2011, 02:45 AM   #3
Katie.Shinkle
Quote:
Originally Posted by MDC_Ophiuchus View Post
One of my favorite quotes from some "experts":

So modest...

I agree...I keep running across a certain 'expert' (*coughtheauthorofthatquotecough*) and everything out of this person's mouth just drives me nuts! If you have to thump your chest over how experienced you are, then you probably aren't that experienced.

So, yes...everything you already said

Old 06-15-2011, 01:05 PM   #4
George J. Ward
Yep there is the exact posers I had spoke of ! Don't worry you'll never get there or be where I have been. Like I said go laydown somewhere!! Some people have worked hard in this field. I have seen the smallest grow and the largest crumble.You little no name so called breeders of geneticly reproduced animals that someone else did before you don't make you crap in my book and if you got a beef with me because I am to the point and don't have to care what you posers say because you'll never go where I have gone or get to go where I have been! Good luck on thinking what you say matters especially to me or anyone else. To a novice you might think you are superior,reality is you are a joke. A JOKE GET IT GOT IT GOOD.Yep I,m back bring it on sissies. Don't care to be outspoken the offense that you posers bring to the table is rediculous go back to work at Mcdonalds they hire the handicap. And if you really really think that anything on this site would or could make me or break me you are sadly mistaken. Was here before this website ever got started and will be here long after it is gone. I am here to help but posers always get in the way trying to talk about something they have no clue on. So post all the negative things you care to.I'll still be a serious thorn in your side inbedded deep and becoming infected to the point of no cure,LOL!!!!!Oh and the cough thing sweet that was a good one from a poser.Go bury your heads in the sand. I can prove everything in my backround,can you?? Not ,didn't think so! Let me know when you get as good as me??Later sissies.

Old 06-15-2011, 01:51 PM   #5
bsharrah
Quote:
Originally Posted by George J. Ward View Post
Yep there is the exact posers I had spoke of ! Don't worry you'll never get there or be where I have been. Like I said go laydown somewhere!! Some people have worked hard in this field. I have seen the smallest grow and the largest crumble.You little no name so called breeders of geneticly reproduced animals that someone else did before you don't make you crap in my book and if you got a beef with me because I am to the point and don't have to care what you posers say because you'll never go where I have gone or get to go where I have been! Good luck on thinking what you say matters especially to me or anyone else. To a novice you might think you are superior,reality is you are a joke. A JOKE GET IT GOT IT GOOD.Yep I,m back bring it on sissies. Don't care to be outspoken the offense that you posers bring to the table is rediculous go back to work at Mcdonalds they hire the handicap. And if you really really think that anything on this site would or could make me or break me you are sadly mistaken. Was here before this website ever got started and will be here long after it is gone. I am here to help but posers always get in the way trying to talk about something they have no clue on. So post all the negative things you care to.I'll still be a serious thorn in your side inbedded deep and becoming infected to the point of no cure,LOL!!!!!Oh and the cough thing sweet that was a good one from a poser.Go bury your heads in the sand. I can prove everything in my backround,can you?? Not ,didn't think so! Let me know when you get as good as me??Later sissies.
LOL! Dude, the moment you began "standing your ground" that shipping snakes via U.S. Mail was fine and you have been doing it for years, you lost all credibility. GONE! I have no doubt you have been in the hobby as long as you say. I have seen many like you. People who started when the hobby was just getting on its feet. Problem is, you failed to progress with the hobby. People who think it is ok to ship "by any means necessary" or those who still think mites are "just part of the trade" are slowly being weeded out. Sorry us young bucks haven't had the time to move all the dinosaurs out to pasture yet. We will get to you soon. Until then please continue to babble about how you used to walk back and forth from the jungles of Africa, up hill, both ways.

And I wouldn't count on being around to be a thorn in our sides. You got a 3 day vacation just a month into your membership and it appears you learned nothing from it. Those vacations get longer buddy and do at times become permanent.

Old 06-15-2011, 01:58 PM   #6
MDC_Ophiuchus
Quote:
Originally Posted by bsharrah View Post
And I wouldn't count on being around to be a thorn in our sides. You got a 3 day vacation just a month into your membership and it appears you learned nothing from it. Those vacations get longer buddy and do at times become permanent.

This is me not worried in the least bit.

Old 06-15-2011, 02:03 PM   #7
Focal
This is awesome sauce!!! Well needed thread!

Old 06-15-2011, 02:08 PM   #8
AbsoluteApril
There is no need or reason to call people names, that is not welcome on this site.

Old 06-15-2011, 02:12 PM   #9
Lucille
Quote:
Originally Posted by George J. Ward View Post
And if you really really think that anything on this site would or could make me or break me you are sadly mistaken.

What is WRONG with you? You come onto a site, have some courtesy. This site owner and many members have spent years making a beautiful place for reptile folk to congregate, buy and sell. Treat it with the respect it deserves.

I can't hear the people speaking loud enough yet.

Old 06-15-2011, 02:12 PM   #10
MDC_Ophiuchus
Just wanted to clarify that my OP was not directed at any one person, but at several. Its an issue I have observed on other forums besides this one, but for some reason it just seems more prevalent here. Maybe Fauna just attracts more of these people (shrugs), I dunno.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!