Bad Guy BAD GUY PAUL EDWARDS PROTEK CAGING - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Business Forums > Board of Inquiry®

Notices

Board of Inquiry® This forum is provided exclusively for the discussion of specific persons or businesses in the herp industry.

Old 01-22-2017, 12:08 PM   #1
Oks226
Thumbs down BAD GUY PAUL EDWARDS PROTEK CAGING

BAD GUY PAUL F EDWARDS PROTEK CAGING SYSTEM.

I saw Pauls ads and the beautiful looking cages and incubator and I got ahold of him to build me an incubator bc I had Black Throat monitor eggs due to lay in about a month. I talked to him on the phone and email extensively that I needed this incubator in 3-4 weeks max bc I had no other way to incubate these eggs. He assured me that if I sent full payment that he would get it done.

Needless to say the incubator was not done by the time I got eggs, and I lost all the eggs, in fact it wasn't even started. I finally got the incubator months later. He was very apologetic and said he would make it up to me (another empty promise from him). I didnt put the eggs on him much bc I shouldered the responsibility that I should have gotten an incubator sooner, however, I would have found another incubator in the time I was waiting had he not promised me that the one I had paid in full for would be done no problem.

Finally when I go tot his place to get the incubator, he had the back pulled off and said he plugged it in that morning and it didnt work, I had a 6 hr drive to get to him, so I was not very happy about having to wait hours for him to build the incubator I was there for. With the back off of the incubator it was easy to see the problem, all the sodering for the heat tape was done horribly, it was separating from the heat tape and in other places was barely on. I watched as he re-sodered these areas, his work while I watched was very good, clearly not the same work he had done when I wasn't watching. When I got home I pulled off the back myself and re-sodered all the spots that he did not fix.

While I was there he was telling me a sob story and I genuinely felt bad for him, so I agreed to have him build me a 4 cage, 6 ft cage complex. I thought he was under a lot of pressure and I would give him another shot, so again I paid up front for the cages, I told him exactly how I wanted them, we discussed it multiple times in length and also agreed upon a completion date.

He was to put heat tape under the floor of each cage for the snakes, he told me it was very simple. The completion date we agreed on came and passed. About a week after the agreed completion date he got ahold of me, I thought to myself, well a week isn't bad, then I read the email. Not only were my cages not completed, but they had not even been started. In his email he asked me how I wanted them heated, we had discussed this in length and I stated so to him. He then told me he couldn't put heat tape under the floor of the cages like I wanted bc he couldn't figure out how to do it and wanted me to buy heat panels so he could start my cages. I told him I was not going to put any more money into these and to make my cages without heat. We again agreed upon a date.

Low and behold the date agreed upon came and went. A few days later he wrote me and said he needed 2 more weeks, I told him ok, but I needed those cages no later than that as I had snakes coming that I needed the caging for. 2 weeks went buy and he wrote me and said he needed another week. I agreed, but told him I was going to Oklahoma to pick up snakes that week and would pass by his place to get my cages on the way home, I made very clear to him that I could not wait any longer, he said it would not be a problem.

The day before I left for Oklahoma he wrote me and said my cages were finished. I thought, "great! No need to worry about that now!" I went to Oklahoma, got the snakes and headed to Paul's place. At this time he had moved all his equipment to a storage unit and was working out of the storage unit. As my wife and I pulled up, it was clear my cages were not done, he had them in the storage unit still working on them. Again I had to wait, with my wife in the car for hours as he finished my product.

Finally he finished and we loaded them and headed home. It was frustrating, but at least my cages were done and my snakes would have the caging they needed.
Once I got home I began assembling them, none of the glass that he had cut and sent with me fit, not one single piece. I called him and asked if he had tried them and he said he had. When I told him that there was still the tape around the glass from the glass cutter and that none of ti fit, he admitted that he had not tried it and said this has never happened to him before. Again he told me he would make it right.

The next day I had to go get glass cut for the cages, it cost me an additional $186. I called and told him and he said he would give me $500 off the next thing I got from him. I informed him I would never again get anything from him and that I was going to buy Vision cages and he began calling me names, including a liar and a sellout bc I had told him I was going to do my whole reptile room in his cages. I informed him that unless he wants another Fauna BOI thread started on him that to not insult me. He apologized, never offered to refund me for the glass, and we parted ways.

It only took a day or two of having a retic in the cages to see that they leaked, not 1, not 2, but all 4 cages leaked, so if the snake in my top cage spilled a water bowl or took a piss then I had to clean every cage below it. I informed Paul of this, and his only response, again, was "Ive never had that happen". I then noticed the back wall of my cages sagging and bent, he states that these cages hold heat better bc they are 3/4" expanded pvc, and it is very good material, BUT, the back wall is not 3/4" pvc, it is cheap 1/4" pvc like the cheap stuff at Home Depot.

Ive held my tongue about this guy, but a friend of mine recently bought an incubator from him and went through a very similar scenario. I do not want to see any more Retic keepers, or any reptile keeper have to deal with this and get ripped off with lies, constant missed deadlines, and subpar work.
Not only this, but Tom, the owner of Habitat Systems is on record saying that Paul has stolen his trademarked way to make these cages. You see, Paul and Tom were good friends, Paul worked for Tom, until Paul decided to steal Tom's hard work and vision and start sending out subpar quality cages and incubators saying they are "just like Habitat Systems". Ive attached the old Fauna BOI below, which was started in 2009, doesn't look like this guy has changed a bit.

http://www.faunaclassifieds.com/foru...d.php?t=138389

Old 01-22-2017, 12:08 PM   #2
Oks226
This is Ryan Parker of Parker Pythons by the way.

Old 01-22-2017, 07:10 PM   #3
lillyorchid
Please post any and all messages or emails between you two.

Old 01-23-2017, 07:07 PM   #4
Lucille
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oks226 View Post

While I was there he was telling me a sob story and I genuinely felt bad for him, so I agreed to have him build me a 4 cage, 6 ft cage complex
I'm not criticizing, but your first order was so bad you had to resolder a bunch of the heat tape connections and the incubator was built late, and you ordered more stuff?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oks226 View Post

Ive held my tongue about this guy, but a friend of mine recently bought an incubator from him and went through a very similar scenario.
What is your friend's name?

It sounds like you went through a lot of aggravation. Could you please post emails and pictures to further help others?

Old 01-23-2017, 07:26 PM   #5
ljsreptiles
I'm sorry you had screwed by this guy too! I spent a lot of money on one his incubators. It was useless, I used it as a storage cabinet and then threw it out.

Old 01-23-2017, 07:27 PM   #6
ljsreptiles
Got screwed...

Old 01-24-2017, 10:08 AM   #7
Oks226
I should have time today to organize and post emails.

Old 01-24-2017, 10:10 AM   #8
Oks226
Yes Lucille, it was terrible and I ordered more. The work he did while I watched was very good, and Im a sucker at giving people 2nd chances, I don't regret giving him a second chance, I think everyone deserves that, but it is regretful that the second order was as sloppy as it was.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!