A Nightmare Transaction with First Choice Reptiles - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Business Forums > Board of Inquiry®

Notices

Board of Inquiry® This forum is provided exclusively for the discussion of specific persons or businesses in the herp industry.

Old 01-11-2008, 11:14 PM   #1
Cerwyd
A Nightmare Transaction with First Choice Reptiles

As this post only indirectly concerns what I consider to be gross negligence on the part of Nick Mole of First Choice Reptiles, and is primarily a shipping matter, I have also posted it in the shipping forum. My apologies for the double post, but I thought it was important enough to place here as well for the readers of the Fauna Classifieds.

<To all who ship live reptiles:

I ordered a G. validus (Giant Plated Lizard) from First Choice reptiles (Nick Mole). He opted - I assume because that is who he has his shipping account with - to go with DHL. Now, I know many people are tempted to go with DHL, as it is usually quite a bit cheaper than FedEx. And, certainly, FedEx is not perfect, either. But my one and only experience with DHL has been a nightmare...

It was an urgent overnight ship, as usual, sent out from First Choice Reptiles on 1/8/2008 with a GUARANTEED delivery before 10:30 a.m. on the 9th. But DHL "mishandled" the package in Ohio (no other explanation forthcoming). Then, once the package reached Richland in Washington State, it was discovered that the shipper (who will not respond to the my emails or phone calls) had placed the wrong zip code on the package (98907 for 98407), although it is possible this was a misreading on DHL's part and they are pinning the blame on the shipper.

The package was then returned to Ohio for "reprocessing", then sent to Seattle. I live in Tacoma and thus received the package at 2:30 on the 11th of January 2008. I heard a "thmup" at the front door and went out to open it, only to see the DHL driver hastily driving off. He did not even stay to see if someone was home or to have the package signed.

The animal was, of course, dead. All the usual attempts at reviving it failed. I've taken extensice photos of the poor creature, which can be supplied if necessary, and the body of the animal itself has been sealed in plastic bags and placed in a freezer. As the shipper refuses to acknowledge my emails and phone calls, I as the recipient of the package was given permission by DHL to file for the claim.

Now, to begin with, I would never, ever, go with DHL again. The bare summary I've written above doesn't tell have the story, which covers about a dozen emails and a similar number of phone calls to DHL. They were completely uncaring and totally inept. It may well take me a month or more to realize the claim for the dead animal - unless the shipper, who again will not respond to my messages - decides to contest the claim on his own. In which case, I would have to try and get him to refund my money.

Secondly, I've decided that after essentially killing this animal in a very horrible way (it was a very sweet young, supposedly female lizard), probably through a combination of asphyxiation and dehydration, and perhaps cold (the animal and the interior of the box were extremely cold when I received the shipment), that I shall NEVER SHIP ANOTHER LIVE ANIMAL OR CAUSED TO BE SHIPPED ANOTHER LIVE ANIMAL.

Just thought this might be of interest to Kingsnake.com readers.

Daniel Hunt>

Old 01-11-2008, 11:26 PM   #2
thomas davis
hmmm

thats odd, i bought a 10lot of chams from nick last year, went very smooth well packed. dhl sux but good packing helps, alot. did it have a heat pack? the snafu w/the zip code sounds like what did it. you say nick has ignored emails, have you called or alereted him of this thread,,,,,,,,,,thomas davis

Old 01-12-2008, 08:25 AM   #3
MikeRusso
Can you tell us more about how the animal was packed? Did the shipper use a styro lined box with heat packs?

also, if you have not done so already please alert the shipper ot this thread..

~ Mike Russo

Old 01-12-2008, 08:41 AM   #4
Russ Bates
REad the BOI next time

There are plenty of negative threads regarding the person you purchased the lizard from (do a search on the BOI with his name). Next time check here then make an informed decision on purchasing your reptiles. Sorry about the "nightmare" experience.

Russ Bates

Old 01-12-2008, 10:10 AM   #5
Corey Woods
So, you are saying that "First Choice Reptiles" would not be your first choice?

Sorry.....I just had to do it.

Corey

Old 01-12-2008, 10:47 AM   #6
cka
What a mess...Of the different carriers I've shipped thru and been shipped to DHL has always come in last...They don't even knock when they drop off something (how rude)...As for "First Choice", whats the zip on the package say i.e. is there a discrepancy you can see? (just curious)...

Good luck with the claim, and any help from First Choice as Mr Bates pointed out...JMHO as much as a pain in the @ss shipping companies seem to be in regards to live animals, doesn't a "S#$t Happens" clause sound feasible, between seller and buyer. Just to bypass all the crap involved where a shipper *coughDHLcoughcough* causes the demise of shipped animal(s) Shipper agree's to X and Buyer agree's to Y

Old 01-12-2008, 11:08 AM   #7
Russ Bates
well actually

they wouldn't be my first or 50th choice. I just wouldn't do business with someone who already has an established track record of being a "bad guy". That was a good one though What I don't get is why people continue to support those that do have bad reps. Must be the cheap prices they offer.

Russ Bates

Old 01-12-2008, 12:33 PM   #8
The BoidSmith
Just out of curiosity. What's the shipping policy of DHL? Can you even file a claim. You can be a registered shipper with FedEx, but does DHL offer the same service?

Quote:
Then, once the package reached Richland in Washington State, it was discovered that the shipper (who will not respond to the my emails or phone calls) had placed the wrong zip code on the package (98907 for 98407), although it is possible this was a misreading on DHL's part and they are pinning the blame on the shipper.
You are being very upfront with your stance here. A DHL employee could have read a 4 for a 9. Your only option here is to determine if it is clearly a 4 or a 9. Do you still have the label? If FCR wrote the right zc and it was misread by a DHL employee, unless FCR want to make an exception to their TOS you are out of luck.

From FCR TOS:

Quote:
3. we are not responsible for carrier delays
Sorry about the loss of your lizard though.

Regards.

Old 01-12-2008, 02:48 PM   #9
Cerwyd
An update on the DHL disaster: Nick Mole finally emaild me - four days after the disastrous shipment went out. He offered to replace the animal, but I had no desire to put an animal or myself through another shipping process, especially not with DHL. So he has promptly refunded the full amount I paid for the dead animal, including shipping.

In answer to the other questions: packing was professionally done, but I had asked Nick to put in an extra-long lasting heat pack (60 hrs. or more) as a precaution. The heat pack I have in the box is very small, and I suspect it is a short term heat pack. While the debate goes on as to whether the shipping container (with styrofoam liner) should be punctured for air purposes, this box was not punctured and appeared to be completely sealed. Animal was ice cold and in rigor when it arrived.

That's all I have to say on this issue. From now on, if I ever have need or an animal, I will purchase a local captive bred specimen ONLY.

Daniel Hunt

Old 01-12-2008, 03:46 PM   #10
The BoidSmith
Quote:
An update on the DHL disaster: Nick Mole finally emaild me - four days after the disastrous shipment went out. He offered to replace the animal, but I had no desire to put an animal or myself through another shipping process, especially not with DHL. So he has promptly refunded the full amount I paid for the dead animal, including shipping.
He could have hidden behind his TOS but he did the right thing, in fact even more than some guys had done in the past (paying for shipping).That's what really matters in the end. Good for you

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!