Need Chameleon info - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Lizard Discussion Forums > Chameleons Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 01-08-2005, 08:47 PM   #1
Fourstrings88
Need Chameleon info

*I THANK YOU VERY MUCH AND PLEASE I NEED PEOPLE WHO HAVE.OR HAD EXPERIENCE WITH CHAMELEONS thank YOU AND IT IS FOR THE BEST=) I apologize for spelling*

I have read most sites and a book or two but I need some stuff that needs to be cleared up.In Inches what is the size that a adult veild chameleon needs(what do yours in? what kind or where di you get it? and did you have alink to it and a picture?)

PLease I need answers from experienced chameleon owners that havd or had chameleons in the past.I am looking to purchase a baby chameleon (WHEN ALL MY RESEARCH IS DONE AND I GET THE STUFF) but I STILL do not know what species I am leaning over towards the veild but I dunno know anymore becuase of the enclosure it needs when it is an adult.I am little bit limited on space but I do have some space in my closet in my room I can move my dresser in the corner and I have about 20 feet wideX 3 1/2 feet longX 6 feet High.Will having it in the closet cause a problem?Also I have read they NEED to be outside is this all the time or an I use a mercury vapor lamp instead?If not how could I house them outside when it rains and such.(I LIVE IN FL)I also need kind of a full supplie list of what to get I know I need foliage put I have read that you can use branches and LIVE ficus plants.And just put a list of everything you have in your chameleons cage and what you do (misting and cleaning).

I have read also about feeding that they need at least 5 diffrent kinds of insects to maintain thier diet I only have crix that I get monthly and do well here.If this is true how and where can I get these other insects (mealworms,kingworms anymore?).

I would like to bring up the species of chameleon that would be the best If the veild needs something bigger than the measurements that I have then what other chameleon ,THAT IS AVALIABLE AND REALATIVELY CHEAP (no in the hundreds),would be good?

*I THANK YOU VERY MUCH AND PLEASE I NEED PEOPLE WHO HAVE.OR HAD EXPERIENCE WITH CHAMELEONS thank YOU AND IT IS FOR THE BEST=) I apologize for spelling*

Old 01-08-2005, 09:31 PM   #2
romad119
Talking Chameleao calyptratus info (yes, I'm forcing myself to use scientific more)

My veileds are very active and I definitely recommend them. I found chams to be easy to maintain and any responsoible owner should have no problems keeping them helathy and thriving.

Up here in Northern NY, mine do just great in a 48"Hx24"Wx24"D all screen cage. I get mine through SCALES as they have awesome pricing. dwedeking is the owner and on this site alot.

I use bendable vines with long foliated vines wrapped around them. I zip tie about 3 of them to the top of the cage and them angle them down to a piece of grapevine at the bottom as an anchor. I then take others and wrap tehm horizontally throughout so that the chameleon can get access to the whole area of the cage and no safe havens for insects are available. I use a UV bulb and a basking bulb hanging above and eithe hand mist or run a line form my Rainmaker, Jr mister to provide mositure/drinking water.

This cgae type has a removable bottom which is 1" less then the width and depthe (24x24 cage = 23x23 floor). I then get a piece of plexiglass cut to the dimension and put it on top of the other. This way when I clean I slide one out. Insects or waste that falls off the floor piece being removed for cleaning merely falls onto the bottom piece. After cleaning I put the cleaned piece under the one left in there and repeat for every cleaning. It makes it really easy to clean!

Old 01-09-2005, 04:35 AM   #3
Fourstrings88
Hey Thanks.....i went to SCALES and I did not see all screen cges I dont think they have them anymore .

If you can I would like PICTURES pictures are good.I have been reading some posts by other ppl and they are saying putting it in the closet is a bad idea b/c of no vntaltion but my closet is lways open and will be by a ac vent but npw there is a question of space for y cham.So is it possible to rethink a species that dosent require a very large enclosure and will be available at my local reptile store and that is fairly cheap (NOT IN HUNDREDS)thanks guys and gals lol

-later

Old 01-09-2005, 09:50 AM   #4
Madd Season Morphs
Lightbulb geez

get a leaf chameleon...or go to Chameleon Paradise.com and buy a Carpet Chameleon from them....small yet nice animal....no matter what your going to pay around $100 bucks....

Sounds as if you want something Very cheap and small, YOU might think about getting yourself a mouse...

Regards,
Isaac Fields

Old 01-09-2005, 03:32 PM   #5
Fourstrings88
No its not that I want soemthing small is just something I am sort of limited in space but my closet is looking good for a small chameleon enclosure for a baby I think thats what I will do.i will get a small enclosure first then later like on my birthday or something get a larger cage (hey who knows maybe I will be able to put it in the living room BETTER THAN A FAKE PLANT)

As for the mouse I would rather take a BP and feed the mouse to it not big on mice but I am not going to be getting a snake in this f$%#&ing house O WELL

THANKS guys O and I have a question about putting it outside How long do thet need to be outside and what do you guys do like do you take a small enclosure and put them out there?? THANKS guys everyone has been a big help it all pays off in the end =+)

Old 01-26-2005, 12:26 PM   #6
Cham keeper
I do not live in the U.S but as I have heard it is really warm in Florida. Do you know how cold it gets in winter? You could probably put your chameleon outside during the summer months or whenever its warm and bring it in during the winter months. To use a closet would be kind of hard. The walls would have to be covered with a plastic so the walls dont rot or fall apart. If you have a walk in closet then you could put a door on it. If you want to build a screen cage yourself you will need wood, metal screen and screws or nails. I prefer the aluminum cages because they are lighter and look better but I guess it depends on your carpentry work. I personally like panthers. But since you dont wanna spend $100 you can probably get a Fischers Chameleon ($50 each), a Flap Neck Chameleon ($40 each), a bearded pygmy ($20 each), and a senegal ($30 each)

The site that sells chameleons for this price is http://exoticpetswholesale.easystore...2/Name/Lizards

If you want to email them go here http://exoticpetswholesale.easystore.../contactus.asp

Whether you want to listen to me or not is the question

CK

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!