Phoenix worm vs silk worm ? - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Lizard Discussion Forums > Bearded Dragons Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 06-13-2011, 08:16 PM   #1
Peezer123
Question Phoenix worm vs silk worm ?

I want to know what you prefer Phoenix worms or silk worms and WHY or if you don't use either, any and all feed back wanted?
Thanks

Old 06-13-2011, 10:36 PM   #2
Heart4Dragonz
I prefer silk worms, they're easy to hatch yourself, and they're a lot more bang for your buck feeding wise. Only down side is that they poo a lot and the mulberry food can be a pain. Usually if I get Phoenix's they arrive half dead, just never really had luck with them.

Old 06-13-2011, 11:23 PM   #3
Peezer123
Hi again future illinoisian ...lol, anyway back on subject, I ordered 600 Phoenix and should be here wednesday so hopefully there not 1/2 dead !!! That would not be cool! Unfortunately my lil guy is only around 4-5" rite now and I could not find the silk worm in a small, so I decided to wait on the silk worm till he's a lil bit bigger. I have read that the Phoenix worm is the best nutritional value of all do you know If this is true? Also who did you order your Phoenix that arrived 1/2 dead from?
Thanks Alex

Old 06-13-2011, 11:56 PM   #4
swtrpeter
I order reptiworms..All of mine always arrive alive and they are cheaper..Check them out... www.reptiworms.com And no I do not work for them..lol

Old 06-14-2011, 12:22 AM   #5
Heart4Dragonz
Hello!
You could probably do mediums for a smaller dragon, the smalls are really small, and it's pretty much impossible for them become impacted on silkworms. I've ordered them through Ghanns and CoastalSilkworms, even picking them up at a local shop they seem to die pretty quickly, hope you have better luck.Found a chart of comparisons.. http://www.chameleonsnorthwest.com/n...on%20chart.jpg

Old 06-14-2011, 01:01 AM   #6
Peezer123
Kool lil chart thanks i think ill try some silk worms too hopefully they won't all die on me..lol
Thanks Alex

Old 06-14-2011, 11:05 AM   #7
rcarichter
Silkworms are great, but they eat a LOT. You either need mulberry leaves or the food they sell with the worms. Excellent nutritional value though. You're not that far from me (St. Louis), mulberry trees grow like weeds here. You should be able to scout some out in your area.

Old 06-14-2011, 11:13 AM   #8
Peezer123
Yes my father actually has a large mulberry tree in his front yard so I could go there an get as many leaves as I want. Do you know a local place to get silk worms so I don't have to order them ?

Old 06-14-2011, 11:26 AM   #9
rcarichter
If there's anyone local, I haven't found them yet. Unfortunately, you have to pay overnight shipping because the they will die after 2 days in the heat. Since you have access to a tree, don't order any pre-made food. It really increases your shipping cost because it's heavy (like Play Doh). Just throw a handful of leaves on them every day. They pretty much eat non-stop!

Old 06-14-2011, 11:37 AM   #10
Peezer123
Thanks, that sounds simple enough!! I guess I'll order a batch of silkies today, do u have a preferred supplier?

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!