My bird suddenly hates me..... - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Birds > General Discussions

Notices

General Discussions This is a general purpose forum open to all topics related to Birds.

Old 05-17-2006, 10:14 AM   #1
Cat_72
My bird suddenly hates me.....

I just can't figure this out.

I've had my lovely cinnamon green cheek for a couple of months now, and he's always been absolutely wonderful! He rides around on my shoulder, sits on the desk while I'm here on the computer, and usually falls asleep with his little head across my "mouse hand", lol.

Yesterday morning he was completely fine with me as usual. I got up yesterday afternoon (I work nights) and went to pick up my son from town, and when I got home, I reached over to have him "step up" onto my finger, and he ATTACKED my hand! I can't go near him without him trying to bite me viciously, every time I go by him, he fluffs all up and looks at me like I'm completely evil. The kids can still handle him just fine....WTF???

Old 05-17-2006, 10:22 AM   #2
DAND
Did you use a different soap or something? Anything new could be the cause for the attack. The same thing happened to a friend of mine.

Old 05-17-2006, 10:44 AM   #3
Lucille
It happened to me one time when I cut and frosted my hair, I guess I looked different. I got bit. The bird got over it but it took a few weeks.

Old 05-17-2006, 10:50 AM   #4
DAND
Did you give it a pony-tail like you did to your pup did you?

Old 05-17-2006, 11:11 AM   #5
Cat_72
Quote:
Originally Posted by DAND
Did you give it a pony-tail like you did to your pup did you?

NO.....if I did that, I suppose he would have a good reason to hate me!

I can't think of anything different off hand....I'll have to keep racking my brain to see if I can come up with anything. I just breaks my heart to have him wanting to kill me.

Any advice on how I should react? I've heard some say to ignore it, some say to do something to deter the behavior.....I just don't know. My son had to put him away in his cage last night, and I haven't let him out this morning. I TRIED to, but I always make him step up on my finger to come out....and obviously that isn't working. So there he sits...glaring at me from his perch.

Old 05-17-2006, 11:20 AM   #6
DAND
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cat_72
I can't think of anything different off hand....
Anything on hand?

I've found if one tries to bite I give a sound of disapproval everytime it attempts.

Old 05-17-2006, 11:22 AM   #7
Cat_72
LOL, nothing ON hand either that I can think of.

Well, at least I've been doing SOMETHING right, I've been making his "no-no" sound every time he does it....maybe he'll be in a better mood when I get up tonight. Pftht.

Old 05-18-2006, 04:00 AM   #8
ladyserpent7
so is it JUST when you try to get him out of the cage...are you able to play w/ him once hes already out of the cage..or does he completely not want you to hold him.

Old 05-18-2006, 09:45 AM   #9
Cat_72
Well, it was any time I tried to come anywhere near him, he'd get downright vicious. Last night, I shared a couple of noodles with him from my dinner, and he didn't try to bite me as long as I had food for him, lol....just now, I took him out of his cage, he was hesitant to "step up", but he finally did, and now he seems OK. Still not as affectionate as normal, but at least he's not trying to eat me.

The only thing I can figure is that maybe I did something to scare him without realizing it? As I walked past him on my way out the door that night, maybe.....I just don't know. Birds are strange.

Old 05-18-2006, 12:15 PM   #10
DAND
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cat_72
The only thing I can figure is that maybe I did something to scare him without realizing it? As I walked past him on my way out the door that night, maybe.....I just don't know. Birds are strange.
That'll teach you to walk around with that green cold cream on your face in view of others, (man or beast).

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!