Does anyone else find this annoying... - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Snake Discussion Forums > Boas Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 11-06-2006, 05:19 PM   #1
liquidleaf
Does anyone else find this annoying...

I've been seeing "hypo sibling" in a lot of ads lately. Does anyone else out there find that a little misrepresentative?

These snakes are indeed siblings to hypos, that is true. However, there is absolutely no reason for them to be marketed as such, since they are normal snakes and since they look normal, they do not inherit ANY hypo traits at all, or they would BE hypos. So however good they look, they are still normal as normal can be.

I think this wording misleads people who may not know much about boa morph genetics, or newcomers to the hobby.

Thoughts?

Old 11-06-2006, 06:43 PM   #2
floridaboy85
I know I've been seeing that too. I kinda understand why they sell say "Jungle Siblings" cause as my understanding goes a low grade jungle could be mistaken as a normal?. But not hypo. Yeah it gets my goat.

Old 11-06-2006, 09:17 PM   #3
Rainbowboaman
How about the Arabesque Het?Talk about misleading? I saw an ad for Pastel het Boas the other day & emeiled the guy to inform that he was wrong & to my suprise I never heard back lol

Old 11-06-2006, 09:46 PM   #4
BryonsBoas
It drives me nuts. If its a normal sell it as a normal. Just because its a hypo sib doesn't make it super special.

Old 11-06-2006, 09:50 PM   #5
liquidleaf
Yeah, occasionally I even see ads for "het for hypo" (as if hypo were recessive like albino) that are trying to sell normals. Those usually don't stick around very long though.

Old 11-06-2006, 11:09 PM   #6
Metachrosis
4 Digit snakes and pics of the animal looks like it came from Nokia

The whole Pet Trade Hobby is progressing to a level that will surely flip PT Barnum in his grave.

M/

Old 11-07-2006, 12:10 AM   #7
BryonsBoas
Quote:
Originally Posted by liquidleaf
Yeah, occasionally I even see ads for "het for hypo" (as if hypo were recessive like albino) that are trying to sell normals. Those usually don't stick around very long though.
thats pure greed working towards those that don't understand genetics. Sad , vary sad.

Old 11-07-2006, 10:59 AM   #8
Laura Fopiano
I think the most disturbing thing about it is the "blind leading the blind" aspect to it.
The new guy comes along and buys from someone who has a seemingly good reputation. Now new guy can't keep the snake for what ever reason, tries to sell it and is informed by the more intelligent and well versed keeper that his snake is nothing special.

Irks me to no end. If the seller can take the time to feed, house, and list the animal, they should also take the time to learn about it!!!!

Old 11-07-2006, 11:04 AM   #9
LindaH
Quote:
Originally Posted by BryonsBoas
thats pure greed working towards those that don't understand genetics. Sad , vary sad.
I see what you mean and it could be confusing to a new person to boas. I think sometimes we get so used to the "jargon" we forget how it sounds to those new to the hobby. Most of "us" know a hypo sibling = normal.....someone else may think it is somehow special. I would hope that the seller would make sure the buyer realizes the boas are indeed, NORMALS.

Old 11-07-2006, 11:39 AM   #10
Scott Nellis
Talking correct me if I'm wrong...

Ok, I admit that I don't know jack about hypomelonism in boas...but hypomelonism in colubrids is a recessive trait. It is possible to have het for hypo in the colubrid world....hypo honduran milksnakes comes to mind, for example. Also...aren't the terms "hypo" and "ghost" different names for the same trait? Like I said, correct me if I'm wrong on this...but that's how I understand it.

Scott Nellis

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!