Baby female hognose feeding advice - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Snake Discussion Forums > Hognose Snakes Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 03-25-2016, 03:08 PM   #1
Dardin
Question Baby female hognose feeding advice

Hi everyone...I'm hoping I can get some advice on my baby female western hognose. Currently she is about 7" and weighs 10-11 grams.

I have an almost 2 year old male hog that weighs ~70 grams and is about 18". He eats every 5 days ( when he's not fasting for a month or two) on fuzzies that are around 10% of his body weight and he does great....he's docile, healthy, curious and honestly spends most of the day out of his cage if I'm home...

Ok, so now I get the baby female and she is literally the polar opposite....hissy, open mouth strikes, and constantly on the hunt for food. I can barely handle her without her latching on to a finger to bite it. So...I said let me up her food. She's a female, which grow faster and larger than a male, so I started her on 2g pinkies every 4 days, which is 20% of her body weight!

She ate yesterday morning, and already she is roaming...and when I got in there to change the water, she attacked my pinky finger and was trying to work it down until I finally ( gently) pried her off.

So my questions to everyone are 1) should I be giving her even bigger prey/ offering her more than 1? And 2) how often is too often to feed her?

I am keeping her in a 12x12x12 exo Terra, at the same temps as my male - 78-80 ambient during the day with a hotspot of around 88 with low humidity. Should I cool her down maybe? I would hate to do that and she get an RI, but maybe someone has a different experience with a female of this species.

Thanks in advance for any help!

Old 03-25-2016, 04:31 PM   #2
Big Borg Reptiles
Considering how much trouble I have getting some of my hogs to eat you should be thankful! :P

Every animal is going to be different, if she's constantly looking for food then I would give her more. Unless she starts to look obese I think it would be a great situation. I think it's generally good to feed hogs twice a week when they're growing, but with her you might consider even more. I have some hogs that will take 2-3 mice in a sitting, it's completely dependent on the snake.

Another thing might just be getting her used to you handling her versus feeding her, right now she might associate you with a meal and automatically go into eat mode. Baby animals always need some amount of "training", I have a feeling that as she ages she'll calm down much more and realize that seeing you means more than just food.

Old 03-25-2016, 04:34 PM   #3
Big Borg Reptiles
Also, I don't think cooling her is the solution. I would simply up her frequency of eating, she's growing and has a high metabolism.

Old 03-25-2016, 04:53 PM   #4
Dardin
Thanks for replying Nick. Yeah I know how lucky I am, I raised a baby boy hognose who ate maybe 20 times his whole first year! Luckily my exotic vet also has a male hog and checked him out and told me to be patient. I was used to boas who eat anything you put in front of them, so it was a learning experience for sure. After he hit a year old he started eating regularly and growing like a weed.

I'm going to try and get her to every 3 days, and give her two 1 gram pinkies at a time and see if that makes her feel more "full". The breeder did feed her off tongs, so you are probably right that she is expecting to be fed with a dangling pinky, and my fingers look too good.

I'm hoping that it also improves her attitude a bit, cuz right now she's just mean! Lol, but I love her. All my snakes were skittish as babies, but she takes the cake.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!