Bullsnake found in basement - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Snake Discussion Forums > Pituophis & Drymarchon Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 04-27-2011, 11:01 AM   #1
hhmoore
Bullsnake found in basement

Probably not all that exciting a discovery, considering that he's my bullsnake, and it's my basement.....but I'm happy to have the little bugger back.
It was one of those ADD moments that I so freely admit to - I'd been up all night, and was keeping myself busy because I had to go to a class/inservice in the afternoon; so I naturally turned to snake chores. Feeding in particular. Fed everything in my office, and upstairs; then moved to the basement. I warmed the bulls up late this year, and I'm only doing a few pairings - those pairs have been together for about a week - and when I pulled the top tub of the second rack, male and female both came rushing out. Picked up the female, gave her a rat, and put her back in the tub...grabbed a rat for the male, gave it to him, then picked him up and put him in an empty rat tub I had sitting there. Fed off the rest of the rats, and went over to the freezer to pull a few more.
That done, I went upstairs. Grabbed a drink, checked my email, then took the dogs out in the yard. We were out there for about 15 minutes when I remembered the bullsnake...but when I got downstairs, he was nowhere to be seen. A search followed, then another....and, late last night another - nothing. I told my gf this morning, and said that if she found him - inside or out - she should catch him and put him in the lockable tub I left on the side of my desk (yeah, I know, I should have put him in something like that in the first place). She asked if he would bite her - "maybe" - then while she was expressing anxiety over my request, I told her I'd be right back....down to the basement I went. Not there......not there.....not there.....THERE!!!!
A little cold, and quite unhappy about being snatched up during his exploration, but captive again.

On the lighter side of the news - I finally got a pair of P. lineaticollis. Not sure why I put it off as long as I did, but they're here now. Just have to find another pair, and maybe a few singles, so I can have at least a little genetic diversity by the time they're big enough to breed.

Old 04-27-2011, 11:08 AM   #2
TheFragginDragon
Quote:
Originally Posted by hhmoore View Post
She asked if he would bite her - "maybe" - then while she was expressing anxiety over my request.....
Would have loved to see her facial expression at your answer

Old 04-27-2011, 11:32 AM   #3
hhmoore
She's actually pretty good about this stuff, but the bullsnakes make her a little nervous...mainly because they seem to be the ones that bite me the most. She seemed ok with my explanation that those bites are because they want food; and with him not in his tub, he wouldn't be expecting food when approached. Needless to say, him being in full hiss when I brought him upstairs didn't help my case much, lol.

I wonder if she recognized him as the one in the pictures - hanging off my upper lip?

Old 05-08-2011, 11:38 PM   #4
~Just Curious~
Haha Great to hear you got him back! I'm sure he had a fun basement adventure~

They never seen to get far, I sometimes think they like to stick close to the scene so they can watch and laugh at all the drama. That or they go out of their way to find the one person in the house who's not completely comfortable with/terrified out of their wits of snakes and choose to pop up then.
"Surprise!"

My male pacific gopher's a stubborn feeder, so some time ago I tried leaving him alone in an insulated box with a f/t rat. I put what I thought was a heavy book on top of the styrofoam lid to weigh it down, but when I came back to check on him an hour or so later, it was popped off with him nowhere to be found! To add insult to injury the rat was still there of course. *facepalm*
Not much in the room so after I didn't find him there, I started to worry he had gotten out under the door and was roaming the house...containing my dog who I'm sure would floss her teeth with him if given the chance.

So the whole house was put in lockdown, my poor dog kicked outside wondering why she deserved such a fate, and I spent a good three hours searching the place top to bottom.

Then I went back to the room and did a double check of where I last put him. I accidentally bumped the box and that's when I heard this loud rattle... I found him wedged deep between the bottom of the foam insulation box and the outside cardboard box. I never would have thought to look there if he hadn't given himself away with that vibrating tail trick. (Running joke 'cause it always backfires on him, he does it trying to look tough but we just laugh and call his little display "cute")
He was covered in foam bits and hissy as can be, but perfectly fine. He couldn't get into his enclosure fast enough, he tail-whipped me on the way in. Grumpy-butt.

So in the end I tore my house apart for no reason because he never really left the box in the first place. *facepalm*
Figures.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hhmoore View Post
I wonder if she recognized him as the one in the pictures - hanging off my upper lip?
Tell her it was a misunderstanding, he was just trying to give you a little kiss I'm sure! ;p
Seriously though it's awesome that she's so good with snakes~

Old 05-23-2011, 05:47 PM   #5
egraham36
So I recently aquired a new less than a year bull female, other than the obvious (shes a bitch) will she ever calm down she was fine bringing her home holding her the whole time then about to put her in cage and bam! won't stop strinking the cage since when i come close. I don't want her to hurt her self and she has been fed i just coverd the cage with a drape and left fisty alone. Any insight?

Old 05-23-2011, 07:30 PM   #6
hhmoore
She may, she may not...do you know if she was CB or WC?
Young bulls tend to be pretty defensive - the lineaticollis I mentioned above are in the same age range as your snake...and they're worse than any bulls that I've produced over the years. They don't really even hiss much...they just bite repeatedly. Doesn't matter whether I'm cleaning, watering, looking, or trying to feed; it's strike, strike, strike - even launching themselves at me if I'm out of range. Not really a big deal, IMO - it's natural behavior at that age/size.

Old 05-23-2011, 07:42 PM   #7
egraham36
Yeh she was cb i guess shes just one to admire as they get older are the bites rough/serious?

Old 05-23-2011, 07:51 PM   #8
hhmoore
Give her time - she may settle down as she gets some size to her & figures out you aren't going to eat her. None of my adult bulls are aggressive like that - but many of them fly out when they think food is being offered...or will get twitchy and bitey when touched if they are hungry. Once they figure out that it isn't feeding time, all the nonsense stops. (I have had adult bulls that never settled, though - they were nervous and would defensively bite...I have also taken adult bulls that were described in that manner that I found to be an absolute joy to work with.)

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!