Carpe diem - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Snake Discussion Forums > Pituophis & Drymarchon Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 05-19-2011, 09:41 AM   #1
hhmoore
Carpe diem

I put my Kingsville reds together to take a picture for an ad (a wanted ad - they aren't going anyplace) - the male is around 4.5 feet long, the female is about 5ft...they do look smaller in the picture . Even though I feel the female is breedable, my plan was to give the female another year; partially because I want her little bigger first, and partially because I limit my production, and have a bunch of other things going this year. That being the case, I SHOULD have separated them as soon as I was done with the pics; but I decided to hold off until I went down to clean the bull racks.
Off I went to clean the mouse boxes, and when I came back about 25 minutes later, the male had already decided that my plans are flexible. Apparently, he agreed with my opinion that she is breedable, because she's being bred . I didn't take copulation photos, though, because when I walk by the tub, the female freaks out and tries to take off - dragging the male along by his boy bits.

The male is on the left, and is dulling down for a shed - guess he's not far enough along to diminish his urges, though, lol.
Attached Images

Old 05-19-2011, 10:06 AM   #2
Focal
Quote:
Originally Posted by hhmoore View Post
I didn't take copulation photos, though, because when I walk by the tub, the female freaks out and tries to take off - dragging the male along by his boy bits.
Our chows use to do that when I was young. We would just spray with the hose... that works

Old 05-19-2011, 10:36 AM   #3
hhmoore
Well, I suppose...but my goal is to avoid the separation, lol.
He's made it clear that that is his goal as well, as he's taken a more typical pit approach to the matter
Attached Images

Old 05-19-2011, 10:37 AM   #4
hhmoore
There's no sense trying to break it up when you see this.
(I don't know why that spot always looks like that when he's approaching a shed - but it really isn't a blister forming. I thought it was the first time I saw it, but the underlying skin is always perfect. I think it's just a small collection of fluid between the layers - but I don't know why it consistently shows up there...maybe a scale irregularity that causes it to "pool"?)
Attached Images

Old 05-22-2011, 01:44 PM   #5
Ed Clark
Best of luck with a fertile clutch!

Old 05-22-2011, 04:00 PM   #6
hhmoore
Thanks, Ed. Admittedly, I did make the decision to give him an opportunity...and I was not in the least disappointed that he capitalized on it. Looking forward to some nice reds (hopefully, my Crumbly reds will produce this year, as well - they're better looking than my Kingsvilles)

Old 06-25-2011, 09:59 PM   #7
akonitony
Guess I'm going to have to ad this to my wishlist. Those are some excellent-looking critters you've got there. In all fairness to your sire, if I only saw a lady as often as he did, and you left the room, boom-choka-pow-wow man!

Old 06-25-2011, 10:06 PM   #8
hhmoore
Found a small load of slugs in her tub last night....should have stuck with my gut on giving things another year. Small setback, but not a great loss - she's eating like a champ, and the next time that pair is put together, circumstances will be right for a fertile pairing.

(Eggs from my Crumbly reds are out and looking good!)

Old 06-25-2011, 10:58 PM   #9
akonitony
Man that's a shame on those slugs. Have you soaked her to make sure she has passed everything? Eating well is a good sign, but I wouldn't be taking any chances with a girl like her. I'll be hoping for the best next spring, as I'm sure anyone else who sees these pics will be as well.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!