New to hoggies and snakes in general! Questions... - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Snake Discussion Forums > Hognose Snakes Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 02-04-2016, 05:55 PM   #1
michaelc396
New to hoggies and snakes in general! Questions...

Hi I'm Michael!

I am brand new to having a pet as a snake and just acquired a baby hognose Tuesday. He's beautiful and i'm obsessed already. I did my research and had everything set up (hide, water bowl, heating pad, aspen shavings). I've let him be as I read you're supposed to give them a week or two to let them acclimate to their new environment. He has basically stayed burrowed in the aspen the whole time. I know this is probably mostly expected, but I would like to enjoy observing him at least, will this change in a day or so? I plan on feeding him Friday as he was last fed this previous Friday. Any advice for first feeding him, and for handling him next week?

Thanks!

Old 02-06-2016, 07:07 PM   #2
phoenix-cry
The only time I get to observe my hognose is when he's hungry and looking for food or actually eating. I find that most hognose are really easy to feed, place food in tank and presto (although this time of year they can be a little more picky because they like to bruminate, I just brought my male back up to temp a week ago since he's still just a little guy). I would put down a small square of paper towel over the aspen and put the defrosted pinkie on top of that to prevent him from eating aspen shavings (nothing wrong with him living in them, I just like to make sure my hog isn't going to eat a splinter).

I would wait til he poops before handling him the first time, expect him to put on a hissy fit when you go to pick him up and he might 'strike' at you with a closed mouth (they do bite now and then but mostly they bluff), however once in the hand they usually calm right down.

Welcome to hognose! They are the best!!

Old 02-06-2016, 07:11 PM   #3
phoenix-cry
Here is a video of my hognose doing the hissy fit. I intentionally pissed him off a little here, I wanted to show that even though he puts up a big stink about it the second he's in my hand he instantly calms.

https://youtu.be/ECGShZ_QoPA

Old 02-06-2016, 07:55 PM   #4
Helenthereef
Quote:
Originally Posted by phoenix-cry View Post
Here is a video of my hognose doing the hissy fit. I intentionally pissed him off a little here, I wanted to show that even though he puts up a big stink about it the second he's in my hand he instantly calms.

https://youtu.be/ECGShZ_QoPA
What a great little video that is! And,I assume, very helpful to the new hognose owner. I love the way he puffs himself up, and what a beautiful black belly he has. I don't have hognose, but I find them totally endearing, and this is just fun to watch.

Old 02-06-2016, 07:59 PM   #5
Beyond GenetiX
They are so much fun, especially when they are playing dead. Nice video Lauren!

No hogs were harmed in the taking of this picture.
Attached Images

Old 02-06-2016, 08:05 PM   #6
phoenix-cry
Great photo! I've never had mine 'play dead'!

Thanks! The best part of having a hognose is the bluff! Soooo much attitude in such a small package. The black belly is due to the fact that he is an anaconda color morph. I've never loved a snake the way I love him. He's got a great personality for a reptile

Old 02-06-2016, 09:31 PM   #7
E.Shell
My first snake ever - Eastern Hognose, field collected, circa 1965:

Old 02-06-2016, 10:07 PM   #8
E.Shell
The link didn't produce the pic...stupid internet...

http://www.shell-central.com/pic_lin...ed-snake01.jpg

Old 02-06-2016, 10:10 PM   #9
E.Shell
I give up...looks like it won't hot link...I need a new host...copy/paste the url to view the pic...dang.

http://www.shell-central.com/pic_lin...ed-snake01.jpg

Old 02-07-2016, 08:26 AM   #10
serpentgirl23
Welcome to the land to Hoggies. I too am new to them, but not to snakes. I will say that they can be very addicting .

I have two and they are polar opposites of each other in personalities. My female is a real doll, never hisses, never plays dead etc while my male has been hissing and mock striking since he has been here (over a year).

Neither have ever bit me despite my males' "display" to. Both are great eaters and love to hide, except when it is dinner time.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!