An Observation About The Fauna Community - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Admin Area > The Welcome Room & New Member Intros

Notices

The Welcome Room & New Member Intros How about a place for new members to come on in, make an introduction, and meet the regulars? Talk about yourself or anything else that comes to mind, just to break the ice. Or just pull up a chair and make yourself at home for a spell.

Old 04-25-2005, 07:50 AM   #1
Lucille
An Observation About The Fauna Community

I was looking over the new posts one morning a few weeks ago and noticed that there is a very high ratio between 'posts' and 'views'. Often for every post written, there are ten or more views which suggests that people are looking, but not participating.
Of course, the ratio is not completely definitive because some people look at a post more than once, etc.

So I started paying attention to who was on the board whenever I was here. There are in facts LOTS of people who lurk and don't post.
And for those people:

We would love to hear what you think and feel sometimes when you read the Fauna posts. Don't be shy, the more people who actively participate in Fauna, not only on the BOI but in the forums, the stronger we will become as an effective reptile community.

Let's hear from YOU!

Old 04-25-2005, 09:51 AM   #2
Whip
Wink Lurking and Learning

Hi Lucille;
I lurk mostly because I'm learning. I plan on breeding Geckos in the future,
and can use every bit of info these talented people provide. When I learn
enough to communicate intelligently, I would love to post. But until then,,,,
I Will Lurk,,,,,LOL.

Old 04-25-2005, 04:38 PM   #3
DAND
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whip
Hi Lucille;
I lurk mostly because I'm learning. I plan on breeding Geckos in the future,
and can use every bit of info these talented people provide. When I learn
enough to communicate intelligently, I would love to post. But until then,,,,
I Will Lurk,,,,,LOL.
Welcome Brad.

I'd rather see someone learn then pass out bad advice. Take your time and learn all you can. Feel free to ask questions. There are many people here that will gladly answer them and point you in the right direction.

Old 04-25-2005, 04:43 PM   #4
Lucille
Quote:
Originally Posted by DAND

I'd rather see someone learn then pass out
NO ONE gets to pass out for ANY reason until FINALS ARE OVER!!!!

Old 04-25-2005, 04:59 PM   #5
DAND
Quote:
Originally Posted by lucille
NO ONE gets to pass out for ANY reason until FINALS ARE OVER!!!!
Hardy, Har, Har, Har.

Old 04-28-2005, 06:35 PM   #6
dragonflyreptiles
Well, in my only possible defense I will have to say that I am very curious about alot of things like that I have no knowledge of so I look a ton at the post just to see what all the info is but never post, and on some of the other forums its the same like the BOI, I read a hack of alot of it but if I have not bought/sold to or haev had presonal dealings with the person I don't day anything, just my weird thind, I like to look but if I do not have any input to share I look and don't post.

There is also the thing that my time is little to none and I have made sure to make more time for fauna since its "one big family" and do what I can when I can.

With an almost 3 year old, a 5 year old, all the reptiles, a father on permanent disability that I have to check on 3 ot 4o times a day, house chores, running here there and everywhere for the children, my dad and all the other stuff that even if I really really wanted to be more active in more forums, the time is just not there.

And to top it off my husband put a new ban on the computer, I used to stay up til 3 or 4 am and IM with friends and such and was always more cranky than usual from having even less sleep that I can normally get (about 4 hours) that he put his foot down and I have to be off line (unless he is in a good mood) by 9pm, which is only fair to him since he leaves for work at 5am and with the comptuer in the bedroom it would keep him up with my typing and he doesn't get home most days til around 6pm and works 7 days a week.

Not a good excuse but the only one I got lol

Old 04-28-2005, 08:26 PM   #7
mycurlylocks
I'm a lurker. I don't own any snakes, so a lot of the forums I just look at. I can't contribute when I don't have any knowledge of them.
I don't sell or breed reptiles, so that leaves me out of a lot also. I contribute where I can, otherwise I just stay quiet and read.

Old 04-28-2005, 09:31 PM   #8
Mike Greathouse
Candy,
It is a wise person who knows when to speak and when to be quiet.

Just as in life, Fauna has a wide range of personalities. Much like Lucille, I enjoy looking a little deeper and seeing just what is going on - sometimes at very strange times of the day or night. Yes, Lucille, I've seen you on here when no one in their right mind should be doing anything but sleeping. Of course, I was here as well to be able to see you.

In my mind, the thing that makes our little community great is the diversity of the people. We have a really nice mix here. There are the people that only post when they have something pertinent to add to the thread, and of course, the people who seem to respond to every thread even if they have nothing more to say but that they agree with the previous post.

This mix is what keeps it interesting for me.
I tend to only post when I feel that i have something to add (a questionable point for some, I'm sure), but in the grande scheme of things we really are all family here.

Regardless of how you choose to participate, you add to the mix by simply being here. For that, I thank you.

Old 04-28-2005, 10:35 PM   #9
Karen Hulvey
I do post but I have to admit that I mainly lurk. I'm a huge lurker. I'm hooked on lurking. I'm a habitual lurker. haha Anyone got any more?

Old 05-02-2005, 12:51 AM   #10
TomO
I mostly lurk becuase I'm learning. Primarily about the herp business community. In addition to the facts, there are so many undertones and opinions on which peoples reputations are built or eroded, that I find it better to generally keep my mouth (keyboard) quiet, and learn. Like any other business, the herp business has at least 2 facets. 1) The operational part, and 2) The political part. For learning about each, but mostly the latter, I find this forum invaluable.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!