Brown recluse bite - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Insects and Arachnids > General Discussions

Notices

General Discussions This is a general purpose forum open to all topics related to Insects and Arachnids.

Old 04-06-2011, 03:19 AM   #1
WebSlave
Brown recluse bite

Old 04-06-2011, 03:35 AM   #2
RachelSS
WOW that is some serious tissue death. Setting the glue traps is a good idea I guess but for a really bad arachnophobe I'd be afraid of what I'd find in those glue traps.

That scar is intense.

Old 05-25-2011, 10:50 AM   #3
bazzgazm
Just so you guys know, the reactions you saw are VERY Extreme.. much like people going into shock from a bee sting and dying.. This is not what you would normally find in a healthy adult being bitten by ANY species of spider.

not only that, but recluse spiders are named for the fact that they stay OUT of the way of human contact. and even then.. rarely are they caught and id'd as the culprits.

this is called FEAR MONGERING and is very much like the government is doing with big snakes..

make people afraid. then kill them all.

Old 05-25-2011, 12:42 PM   #4
snowgyre
I agree with Jason. These animals are not biting to be malicious. They are biting because you made a mistake, whether intentional or accidental. Bites by recluses and black widows are quite rare, probably even more rare than bites by venomous reptiles. The tissue damage is impressive, but a lot of factors go into how bad it is. The size of the spider, the amount of venom it injects, and your individual susceptibility all play a role into the severity of the bite.

In fact, these bites are so rare that very few doctors are actually trained to handle them properly. I would surmise that 85-90% of all venomous reptile bites in the United States are treated incorrectly (ie. not enough antivenin given, treating symptoms instead of the problem, etc.). In most cases, if you get properly treated within two hours of a bite, you can walk away with almost zero tissue damage and minimal scarring. If you are at a hospital within two hours and you get treated adn still have serious tissue problems, honestly I would sue because the doctors don't know what they're doing. I know this is slightly off topic, but a biologist who trains doctors in snake-bite treatment in the southeast told me to demand the doctors to call Poison Control for directions. It'll ruffle feathers, but I'd rather keep my fingers than worry about the doctor's pride.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!