? on "acceptable documentation for PA" - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Laws, Legislative Issues & Alerts > General Legislative Discussions

Notices

General Legislative Discussions Any general discussion concerning legislative issues or events. Not necessarily specific to a particular region, or even a type of animal group.

Old 06-29-2003, 11:08 AM   #1
cka
? on "acceptable documentation for PA"

Anyone help me out on this?...As a PA citizen I may legally possess 2 black rat snakes* ...have one, acquiring another...my female was bought from someone in Kentucky, altho she's a het amel so unsure of any locality specifics. Anyone know what would be "acceptable documentation" for proof that this is not a w/c PA native snake?...PA law states

"There are no permits issued by the Fish and Boat Commission for selling reptiles and amphibians. Our regulations require that with the exception of common snapping turtles, no reptile or amphibian may be taken from the wild in PA for sale, trade or barter. Also, it unlawful to possess, import or export species listed as endangered or threatened by the Fish and Boat Commission. For species not taken from the wild but which may occur in PA, a dealer or purchaser would need to obtain and maintain the proper documentation to show that the origin of an animal was from a legal source and not taken from the wild."

&

"I caught a male and female black rat snake and they mated in captivity. Can I sell the offspring?
No. See also question number 3. The purpose of our regulations regarding the sale of reptiles and amphibians is to minimize exploitation of wild populations by eliminating a profit motive. Catching gravid females and/or captive breeding of wild caught specimens to produced young for sale goes against our philosophy of not permitting the commercial use of these species."

Soooo...if I have acceptable documentation(?) that my snakes are captive bred non-PA black rat snakes I would be legally able to sell them in PA and elsewhere (subject to any other applicable laws)

*& does this mean possess ANY black rats or just those collected in PA?

ANY HELP?!? lol...peace

Old 06-30-2003, 12:37 AM   #2
Khaman
A black rat het albino from Kentucky I am betting you got it from Dwight Good, your recept that you bought it might be enough but then you might get hit with not having a permit to transport it across state lines.

Well if you only have two what are you going to sell? The babies will put you over the limit.

Old 07-02-2003, 01:41 AM   #3
cka
thanks man...

...thats where this train o thought was leading to...didn't want to mention any names (lol "paranoia, self destroyer...") With everything going on and the laws so easily interpreted different ways ( and since any future babies would not be the product of wild caught PA'ers I could have as many as I'd like, right??? with proper documentation???) just trying to get whats legal to do and not straight...peace budd

Hey Rich....wouldn't a forum moderated by experienced dealers who have a real good grasp on their respective and other states reptile laws and could answer some ?'s be an idea (eventually lol we know your super busy, man)...

Old 07-02-2003, 01:45 AM   #4
cka
the law also states...

with a PA fishing licence I can take 2 black rats...haven't taken any...

Old 07-02-2003, 07:24 AM   #5
Khaman
I don’t know about PA but if I am correct in Ohio it is two period. Not two wild caught and as many CB as you can prove it is two and they do not make a distinction between brindle, licorice whip, ect.. Just that it is a black rat snake. I think I read a post referring to the raid Saturday that said that they entered someone’s home and confiscated several back rats (albino and normal) along with several hatchlings because he was aloud two of the adults but everything else put him over the limit.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!