Cave dwelling rat snakes!!! - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Snake Discussion Forums > Cornsnakes & Ratsnakes Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 03-15-2014, 02:42 AM   #1
xXBlueLipsXx
Post Cave dwelling rat snakes!!!

I've been trying to find information for these guys for months!! does anyone own a couple or at least one, that they can give me tips for caring for them? There certainly beautiful and amazing creatures, I have a few questions about them though.:
what type of habitat or set up would they need?
Anything special i need to do for this species?
How should i care for them? (for example: everything they need to survive) i'm a first time snake owner so i would like to know as much as i can (its hard finding information about this species) before making the purchase for my snake.

thanks in advance for reading and answering my questions

Old 03-15-2014, 02:22 PM   #2
hadenglock
They are not easy to find thats for sure, whatever you do find will most likely be LTC adults or CBB. That being said im surprised there are not that many to find, they are truly beautiful snakes. One thing for sure is that you want to give them plenty of space, the bigger the better, as they will utilize all space given to them. Give them multiple hiding places and things to climb on and perch. They get pretty large anywhere from 6-9 ft on average in length. Give them a basking spot of approx 85 degrees with a low cool ambient temp around the mid to upper 70's. They grow very fast if fed properly growing in length of up to 5 feet in one year, i typically feed 2x a week for these types of rat snakes when they are growing, then i do once a week for mature adults. they seem to prefer numerous smaller prey items compared to one large meal, though ive seen them take down some large meals before with no problems. Their metabolism is fast, so they defecate frequently! Handling varies from docile to down right aggressive from animal to animal.

Old 03-15-2014, 03:14 PM   #3
xXBlueLipsXx
yes they are, im thinking about breeding these guys eventually in time, also can 2 cave dwellers be kept in the same cage without eating each other? also thanks its VERY helpful im surprised there not the most wanted breed next to pythons and what not, also what size of cage do you think i should get? (i'm going to an expo on the 22nd so i would like know what would be best, i'm going to attempt to find a baby there or a young one at least) in my room the length, that the stand and cage i could go or any possible size, is 42F in length(used a tap measure) ,the with doesnt matter really it can be any type)

Old 03-15-2014, 11:07 PM   #4
hadenglock
It is best to keep them separated, especially if you plan to breed, absence of the opposite sex can help induce a more successful courtship, also its just easier to monitor the health of each animal if they are kept to their own space. i would recommend bare minimum a 75 gal per animal, even better would be a more height oriented cage as well.

Old 03-15-2014, 11:33 PM   #5
xXBlueLipsXx
ah ok, thanks i'm getting a cage thats more tall, due to them living in caves and climbing things. more of an arboreal cage for the thing, so its happy and healthy, do you think an arboreal cage is better then length wise really?

Old 03-16-2014, 02:02 AM   #6
AbsoluteApril
Quote:
Originally Posted by xXBlueLipsXx View Post
ah ok, thanks i'm getting a cage thats more tall, due to them living in caves and climbing things. more of an arboreal cage for the thing, so its happy and healthy, do you think an arboreal cage is better then length wise really?
length, I have mine (Well only one now, the other recently passed) in 4x2X2 with a rock ledge background insert, they checked out the insert every once in a while but spend most of the time on the ground or in the hide. They are really fun to keep, very active and outgoing (aka bitey lol).

Old 03-16-2014, 02:54 AM   #7
xXBlueLipsXx
haha ok thanks , well i read somewhere else besides here they like the climb or have a rocky surface, and several other info other then here say there temperment vearys from nice to pure evil, just depends on how lucky you get i guess and how often there handled. Temperment wise just vearys as with all snakes, I just hope mines not very bitey still when its an adult (considering a baby maybe)

Old 03-16-2014, 10:09 PM   #8
hadenglock
Quote:
The more length the better, and to add height to it is even better.

Old 03-16-2014, 10:11 PM   #9
hadenglock
Quote:
haha ok thanks , well i read somewhere else besides here they like the climb or have a rocky surface, and several other info other then here say there temperment vearys from nice to pure evil, just depends on how lucky you get i guess and how often there handled. Temperment wise just vearys as with all snakes, I just hope mines not very bitey still when its an adult (considering a baby maybe)
Worst case scenario you have a snake that will teach you how to hook train properly

Old 03-17-2014, 12:41 AM   #10
xXBlueLipsXx
ok, but i would think cave dwelling rat snakes are more arboreal then anything else due to them eating and catching bats out of the air.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!