Mack Snow x RAPTOR/Eclipse? - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Lizard Discussion Forums > Geckos Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 03-10-2006, 11:06 PM   #1
420Geckos
Lightbulb Mack Snow x RAPTOR/Eclipse?

I just had a thought about this cross. Since the red eye/Eclipse gene doesn't always produce solid colored eyes couldn't crossing the two affect the super's eye coloration? If it does wouldn't that degrade the cross a bit? If people don't keep good records and the red eye/eclipse gene is unknowingly crossed into other projects we'll have a lot of people wondering why their Supers have snake eyes. I'm sure that this cross will produce some outrageous offspring, but I also think it has the potential to damage the Super Snow market. What are your thoughts?

Old 03-11-2006, 12:34 AM   #2
The NY Gecko
i say leave the snow line alone and leave the raptors where they are. like you said it could dmg that market. although snake eyes are cool it doesnt seem to me like it would look very good on a mack super snow

Old 03-11-2006, 12:43 AM   #3
Jeremy Letkey
These crosses are already in the works. Like it or not the Mack snow is going to change every aspect of the leopard gecko morph. I don't think it's a bad thing. It's just something different. All crosses need to be done to see what the results will be. Accurate records need to be kept for obvious reasons (like if a new morph pops up). There will be the irresponsible breeders who work with the crosses as well. This will not be something new however. Look to see how many posts there are that are titled "what type of albino is this?"

I for one look forward to seeing every combonation that is available. I have said it before "these are exciting times for leopard geckos".

Old 03-11-2006, 02:56 AM   #4
The NY Gecko
i have no problem with the mack snows changing the leo world so to speak, i jsut dont wanna see the snows go down the tubes to make everything else better. weve got ncie SHTCTB's, just look at albeys or kellis breeder page. over the last few months ive gained a very large appreciation for the snow morphs, particularly the mack and super mack snows,

Old 03-11-2006, 12:12 PM   #5
groovygeckos
Really all we need to do, is keep as 'pure' of as possible, Super Snow line going, as well as all of the crosses. Seperately, and keep records. I am pretty sure if someone bred their Mack to a RAPTOR, it will be a selling point.

So I dont think someone will 'forget' that their new Snow also has RAPTOR genes.

Ide like to see a Snake Eyed Super Snow, and, SESS Albino. But that is a good reason to keep the pure SS-line going also. I thought of doing it, but I really dont think there is much point. Either the eyes will still be solid red, or we will get 'snake eyed' Super Snows. Who knows about the pattern, maybe that would be the best part (?) But Ill sit back and watch for them to pop up, instead of doing the extra work.

Old 03-11-2006, 12:34 PM   #6
AUBREY'S REPTILES
I believe Alberto over at A&M has a project going on this. His parings for that project look pretty cool.

Old 03-13-2006, 12:42 AM   #7
Lizard Lair
I like the idea of seeing what comes out of a Super Snow X Raptor breeding. Not the snake eyed ones though, the solid ruby eyes. When the brother & sisters are paired up from that breeding wouldn't that create the possibility of a Super Albino, possibly with Ruby eyes? That would be hot in my opinion. I've got a Super Snow, Raptor pair set up for this season just for that reason. But I've also paired a snake-eyed Raptor with a snake-eyed blazing blizzard to try to do the same thing with the blazing blizzards. All part of the fun of making new things.

Old 03-13-2006, 01:11 AM   #8
groovygeckos
Shelly, both the Super Snow Albinos and the RAPTORs allready have Ruby Eyes. RAPTORs have the snake eyes too, but thats really the only difference. You will get Ruby Eyes from the Super Snow Albino alone w/ no RAPTOR genes. The only difference I think you can make on a Super Snow Albino, is one w/ snake eyes or some change in the pattern from the RAPTOR. The eyes will still be either red or black (albino or non-albino). Cool either way Im sure, just not something very different than what we are allready seeing. Just curious, how will you ever know if both the eye traits are expressed? It will only be obvious IMO if you make a Snake Eyed Super Snow.

Ill see how they turn out, who knows I may change my mind. Then just wait til I can breed a Super Snow Tremper Albino to a RAPTOR.

Ill send you an E-mail tomorrow, Shelly.

Old 03-13-2006, 01:35 AM   #9
Lizard Lair
You are right that the ruby eyes probably already exist in the super snow albino - heck it's only logical that the albino expression of the solid black eye will be a ruby eye (like the Raptors). But, the only one that's hatched that I know of is the one Alex posted. I'm dying for update pictures to see how vibrant the red is in the baby's eye, and does it hold up through adulthood. It probably will. I figured if I wanted to make super snow albinos, why not use a Raptor as my albino to increase the likehood of gorgeous eyes? Besides, who knows what is going to pop out, there seem to be a lot of surprises in the Mack Snow line. I have mack albino hets breeding this season - to bad I didn't have a Raptor in my clutches last season.

Old 03-13-2006, 10:49 AM   #10
USAGECKOS
If I had a RAPTOR, I would definately breed it to my Mack Snow! If I had the room, I would be breeding everything to the Mack. Only God knows what is hiding in those Mack genes

This is why record keeping is so very important!

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!