Can 'O Crickets/canned silkworms from Exoterra - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Lizard Discussion Forums > Geckos Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 04-18-2005, 09:38 PM   #1
Jadormdrache
Can 'O Crickets/canned silkworms from Exoterra

well I was in my local petstore and ive been looking at canned food for awhile. sorta getting tired of crickets getting all over the place. But, ive never tried these products and I wondered what the community thought about either Can Crickets or Silkworms in a can made by Exoterra
would you use either of these products? have you used these products?would you use them again and would you recommend them? thankyou for your time, I don't want to try it and they end up being poisonous to leopard geckos or something.

Old 04-18-2005, 11:28 PM   #2
Golden Gate Geckos
well...

It is my experience that Leopard Geckos do not eat anything that is not alive and kickin'. Their eyesight is not very good, and unless prey is moving they will not notice it. Besides, the cost of freeze-dried feeder insects is waaayy more expensive than live food, not to mention if the canned stuff is dried, there is no moisture or water-soluable nutrients in it. I say go for the real food!

Old 04-19-2005, 01:33 AM   #3
LakesideBoas
This food is moist. It's vacuum packed and vitamin enriched also. But I still dust it epsecially for my breeder females. Put a few live mealies in there and watch them go to town. Mine seem to really like it. So far we've tried crickets, small grasshoppers, mealies and silkworms.

Makes it nice to have something to fall back on if you run out of feeders for those of us that don't breed our own. One warning though, it smells like bugs! Stinky bugs!

Old 04-19-2005, 02:39 AM   #4
Milwaukee Reptiles
Roaches!!! Clean(er), cheap (to maintain a colony), and healthy for your gecko! Not to mention they aren't nearly as annoying as crickets!

Old 04-19-2005, 04:10 AM   #5
paulv
Waste of Money

I will never use this, my gecko deserve better and I am not too sure how good the nutritional value of these insects are. Even though they are moist, they can not come close to live feeders.

The canned insects are a lot more convenient, but you sacrifice quality.

Old 04-19-2005, 04:30 AM   #6
LakesideBoas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Milwaukee Reptiles
Roaches!!! Clean(er), cheap (to maintain a colony), and healthy for your gecko! Not to mention they aren't nearly as annoying as crickets!
No Joke! I detest crickets!! I get my roaches from a good friend who breeds them as my family and my boss think they are "dirty"--yeah, right, they are only as dirty as you let them be, they are easier to clean up after than crickets.

I use the canned foods as supplements, basically. Have you ever been snowed in? I have. I'm not dieing or wrecking my only source of transport to go get gecko food. I love my gecks and only feed them top quality foods, but they do not repair cars nor do they work to get their own food, I do that and gratefully.

I feel these canned sources of feed have their place when used responsibly and should be given more than a sniff and a second glance.

Use them as you feel comfortable, but do not sell them short if you've never had the cajones to try them. My gecks are fine, healthy, breeding and obviously are not dead from eating this food so there could be something in those cans besides air...

Old 04-19-2005, 05:06 AM   #7
Jadormdrache
how about using to give variety to your leopard geckos, atm I feed them mealworms/crickets thru the week and waxworms on sunday. they have grasshoppers/silkworms/ect also since you mention a roach colony, what kind of roaches should I use? and are there any small enough for say 6 week olds or would the roaches have to much of a shell anyways for a 6 week old?

Old 04-19-2005, 05:08 AM   #8
Jadormdrache
thats grasshoppers/silkworms/ect in a can, when I read it it sounded like my leopard geckos were keeping them as pets, sorry.

Old 04-19-2005, 05:24 AM   #9
LakesideBoas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jadormdrache
thats grasshoppers/silkworms/ect in a can, when I read it it sounded like my leopard geckos were keeping them as pets, sorry.
LOL! I didn't read it that way, but that would be a sight wouldn't it?! I thought Leopard Gecko pets were human?!

I usually use live foods, primarily Dubia Roaches, Mealies, Waxworms and Crickets. About every three days I add canned food to their feed dish (say canned mealies or crickets or silkworms) mixed with some live food (such as mealies or waxworms). The movement attracts them and once they start eating they don't stop till the dish is empty.

I dust the canned food lightly with T-Rex/S-Fire Leopard Gecko dust every other time for my adults and every time for juvies and breeders.

Edit: The roaches and/or crickets can be obtained in different sizes depending on the size of your Geckos. Baby feeders for baby Geckos!

Old 04-19-2005, 06:20 AM   #10
Jadormdrache
also what about Zoomeds leopard gecko food with flies? Ive never seen that before till I looked at the zoomed site

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!