Info Erik Strait, aka Eriks Reptiles, Parasites and Misrepresentation - Page 4 - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Business Forums > Board of Inquiry®

Notices

Board of Inquiry® This forum is provided exclusively for the discussion of specific persons or businesses in the herp industry.

Old 11-22-2011, 11:32 PM   #31
EriksReptiles
Hello,

Chris - Yes, I am just a Hobbyist. I do not breed animals for a living and do not breed them to make money. I mainly breed most of these animals for species preservation. There are not a ton of breeders of Uroplatus like there are with crested geckos, ball pythons, ect. Exportation of Uroplatus from Madagascar has basically shut down due to the wild populations decreasing from over exportation. I have had amazing success breeding them and have produced hundreds and hundreds of them. I have sold them to private collections, zoos, overseas, ect. Without strong breeding groups, a captive population with dwindle and disappear.

Yes, I am very busy. That’s why I use my phone so much for emailing because I’m not at a computer very often and time to sit down and cruise the internet is rare. Customer satisfaction is very important to me though and I try to reply within 24 hours.

Almost everything I have made reptile wise has gone back into them. I have a feeder bill that would make people cringe. But Reptiles are a big passion of mine, so I continue to keep and breed them.

Thanks Erik

Old 11-22-2011, 11:34 PM   #32
smoothy 425
This is just info only,

Ive dealt with Erik in the Saltwater world when he lived in Washington, and has always had nothing but the best relationships with many.

Im glad everything turned out okay for both parties. Could easily be misinterpreted as a bad guy if you dont read!!!

Old 11-22-2011, 11:56 PM   #33
Chris Kennard
Quote:
Originally Posted by EriksReptiles View Post
Hello,

Chris - Yes, I am just a Hobbyist. I do not breed animals for a living and do not breed them to make money. I mainly breed most of these animals for species preservation. There are not a ton of breeders of Uroplatus like there are with crested geckos, ball pythons, ect. Exportation of Uroplatus from Madagascar has basically shut down due to the wild populations decreasing from over exportation. I have had amazing success breeding them and have produced hundreds and hundreds of them. I have sold them to private collections, zoos, overseas, ect. Without strong breeding groups, a captive population with dwindle and disappear.

Yes, I am very busy. That’s why I use my phone so much for emailing because I’m not at a computer very often and time to sit down and cruise the internet is rare. Customer satisfaction is very important to me though and I try to reply within 24 hours.

Almost everything I have made reptile wise has gone back into them. I have a feeder bill that would make people cringe. But Reptiles are a big passion of mine, so I continue to keep and breed them.

Thanks Erik
Just an observation bud. Your first paragraph here is, in itself, a bit contradictory. First you say "I do not breed animals for a living and do not breed them to make money". Then you say " I have sold them to private collections, zoos, overseas, ect". My other point had nothing to do with correspondence between you and the OP. I was wondering how you could possibly find time to take care of close to a thousand animals (feed, breed, find buyers, export etc.) when you have a real job, what I would assume is time consuming studies, and mountain excursions to boot. Again, just observations.

Old 11-22-2011, 11:57 PM   #34
Lorraine
I wasn't going to post again, but Erik's last post had some things I'm not quite buying.

"I mainly breed most of these animals for species preservation."

From what I can tell by his forum posts, Erik started clearing out part of his animal collection in Sept 2010 to make room for his Uroplatus collection. In August 2011 he starts clearing out his Uroplatus collection to make room for a snake and monitor collection, saying he's had such great success with the Uroplatus, he's ready for a new challenge. Buying large numbers of these animals and keeping them less than a year, in some cases less than 3 months, hardly sounds like species preservation.

He also never offered up the info on where my cb animals came from, he never said anything that made me believe they were bred by anyone but him. I only found out from another breeder they were from Derek. I asked Erik info on their bloodlines before the female passed, he responded quickly that he would get back to me with that info, and then never did. He didn't admit they were from Derek until I confronted him with the information I had received from another breeder who was aware of the deal.

Old 11-23-2011, 12:31 AM   #35
EriksReptiles
Chris – I was just pointing out some of the people/institutions that I have sold too. Bonnie made me out to be someone who has no knowledge ect, that is quite the opposite. I have helped several Zoos set up their Uroplatus breeding groups and actually had an internship at a zoo for almost 2.5 years. I guess I am just a pro at time management. 

Bonnie - What is so contradictory about what I do? I don’t have all the space in the world to keep everything I ever produce or buy... I sold 4 abronia in 2010 to make room for a few extra Uroplatus cages.. No big deal. I hardly see how selling 4 animals is “clearing out part of my animal collection in Sept 2010…”

I bought Derek's Collection for new bloodlines. I haven't sold many Uroplatus for the past 5 years as I have been keeping most back for future breeders and needed some new blood.. So I bought his. He needed the money from them and room that they were occupying. I personally drove to pick them up (~20 hours EACH way) and gave him cash. It made his life easy since he got rid of them in one shot and made my bloodlines stronger with new blood. I was able to buy them so I kept what I wanted and sold the rest.

"Clearing out" my Uroplatus collection as you said is hardly the truth. I am just lowering my numbers some to make room for a few other species. No harm in that is there? If I had the room to keep them and get my new species, I would. I just want to take on a few new challenges/projects that came up that I wasn’t looking for but didn’t want to pass up. That Uroplatus Ad you posted clearly states “I AM NOT SELLING OUT. Just minimizing some.”

The Ad of mine from April, wanting some more Uroplatus (for extra bloodlines) is actually what lead me to talking to Derek about his collection. He was offering more animals then I wanted to add but the situation worked to where I got everything.

I am fairly certain I did email that info to you. If I had over looked it I would have appreciated a little “reminder” email. That would not have been a problem.

I’m just confused why you posted this almost a month after we came to a conclusion that you said “I too want to put this behind me, it’s been a rather frightening situation and I want nothing more than for it to be resolved. Thank you for your cooperation.” And even sent me an email after I issued the refund stating “We got it, thank you”.

I feel I did nothing wrong as we came to a conclusion that satisfied both parties, and you basically got the male guentheri for free.

Thanks Erik

Old 11-23-2011, 12:36 AM   #36
Lorraine
I posted because you started selling large numbers of Uroplatus again in the past couple of days. You listed another 64 Uroplatus for sale on ks just today. I hadn't posted before because you had stopped posting animals for sale, I figured you had sold the collection and therefore warning people wouldn't do much good. You have never accepted responsibility for the guentheri's condition, or even admitted that some of your animals might have parasites, that's a rather large red flag to me.

Old 11-23-2011, 12:45 AM   #37
SteveinIL
I still think it should have been a full refund. He sold a defective pair, 1 was ill the other died. Why should she have to eat the shipping for HIS failure. I think she is within every right to inform us of this horrid experience. Watching an animal with parasites crawling out of it's mouth when it was alive if just barely 5 min before to be quite disturbing.

Old 11-23-2011, 12:50 AM   #38
Lorraine
I forgot to add before, my issue was not the lineatus being shipped in bags. The issue was these giant 60+ gram geckos were shipped in bags in the same box with 13 gram geckos in bags, getting bounced around and crushed. I would have thought you would have put the small geckos in deli cups to prevent that.

Old 11-23-2011, 12:57 AM   #39
Ed Clark
Quote:
Originally Posted by EriksReptiles View Post
Hello,

I have had amazing success breeding them and have produced hundreds and hundreds of them. I have sold them to private collections, zoos, overseas, ect.
Thanks Erik
Erik, curiosity has gotten the best of me.

Do you have a usfw permit to export reptiles?

What zoos have you sold to?

Old 11-23-2011, 01:01 AM   #40
EriksReptiles
Hello,

I hadn’t posted them for almost 2 weeks because I was out of the country on the trip that I told you about via email and actually it is in one of the emails you posted in your first post...

I never accepted responsibility because you had it for almost 3 weeks before it passed away. There is no way for you to prove it came from me and the other way around because you threw everything out and a qualified vet never saw the animal or “parasites.” If I shipped it in bad condition and not "eating, drinking, or pooping" like you said it NEVER would have lasted that long. When Uroplatus die they die fast, they are very fragile, and as you learned with the sikorae you didn't buy from me but asked for my advice on.

I never said they did or didn't have parasites. I did random fecals when I was told about what you had, they came back clean. I don’t really know what else you want from me.

I had emailed you when I shipped stating they were all in bags. I have shipped hundreds of Uroplatus this way with zero issue. I used the largest box I had for that shipment.

Although I don’t appreciate you posting false facts about where I live, my experience, and you have no idea of my knowledge of parasites.

Steven – When I sold them they were not “defective.” To the best of my knowledge the male is doing just fine. I was never made aware of any issues with him. Watching worms crawl out of an animal is nasty. We can agree to that. However what kind of parasite lives in the body cavity of the animal looks like that, crawls out the ears, ect… I have done hours of research and talked to vets and friends and no one has any clue as to what it could have been. Since she threw them out, we will likely never know.

Thanks Erik

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!