Back heat or belly heat for an arboreal rack? - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Snake Discussion Forums > Arboreal Boas/Pythons Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 12-13-2012, 02:10 PM   #1
Nathan91
Back heat or belly heat for an arboreal rack?

I'm thinking about building an arboreal rack for my chondros, but I am unsure of how to heat it. At first I was planning on just doing belly heat like I did for my BP rack, but obviously my chondros arent going to spend too much time on the ground. I also thought of back heat, but I'm also unsure. Any suggestions?
Thanks,

-Nathan

Old 12-13-2012, 02:14 PM   #2
hhmoore
Depends on the details of your setup.

Old 12-13-2012, 02:26 PM   #3
Nathan91
What details do you need?

Old 12-13-2012, 02:47 PM   #4
AbsoluteApril
I think back heat would work better since chondros and other aboreals tend to stay on their perches, use multiple perches to allow the snake to move from front to back or up and down in the cage as needed. my $0.02

Old 12-13-2012, 03:28 PM   #5
hhmoore
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nathan91 View Post
What details do you need?
The details of your setup.
Type of rack, tub size, room temp, etc - the stuff that matters when considering heating options.

Old 12-13-2012, 03:37 PM   #6
Nathan91
Oh ok. Well I want to go simple as much as possible. Probably using those plastic racks from lowes and using 56 quart (I think theyre 56 quart) tubs. The room temps fluctuate so I have to do a lot of heat control within the animal housing itself. My main concern is allowing them to have a hotspot. It seems like it would be hard to do with belly heat because theyre never on the ground.

Old 12-13-2012, 04:26 PM   #7
hhmoore
How many tubs per shelf? Does the room get cool, or just too hot? Or both, depending on the season?

Old 12-13-2012, 04:28 PM   #8
Nathan91
Not sure yet, but probably two per shelf if I can fit them..

Old 12-13-2012, 04:33 PM   #9
hhmoore
Not knowing what rack you're looking at makes it harder; but how you're setting it up, and how the tubs fit, makes a huge difference in the approach. I am personally not a fan of back heat; and would prefer to use dual side heat in most cases...but that loses some of it's desirability if you're trying to go two tubs wide.
If you get a lot of variation in room temps, you might find it beneficial to use some insulation board to partially close the rack.

Old 12-17-2012, 05:20 PM   #10
hadenglock
Thats a difficult scenario to deal with, creating a proper "basking spot" can be difficult sometimes for rack keepers, and for aboreal snake keepers it can be even more difficult. When i raised up baby amazon tree boas, i kept them in rack systems with branches using belly heat with no real problems, but then again those were temporary enclosures for a few months. I would say try to incorporate a way so that you can apply either heat through a matt or tape and place it on the back wall of the tub (on the outside) so one side of the tub is properly heated from top to bottom. Im sure this is easier said than done though. Are you sure you want to do a rack system for your GTP? For me that would kind of ruin the point of keeping them, not being able to see there beautiful colors all the time.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!