Membership referral contest - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Admin Area > FaunaClassifieds Site HELP & Feedback Forum

Notices

FaunaClassifieds Site HELP & Feedback Forum Anything of a nature concerning this website, moderators, admin, or anything having to do with how it is being run, should go here. Criticism is welcome, but abusive antagonism is not. THIS IS NOT THE FORUM FOR FEEDBACK CONCERNING BUYERS AND SELLERS! Such posts are ONLY allowed as replies to classified ads posted by the specific member involved in a specific issue with you.

Old 06-09-2018, 03:30 PM   #1
WebSlave
Membership referral contest

Recently I implemented an option that enables during registration a prompt that the registrant can use to enter the registered member name of someone who may have referred them to this website. This prompt is located at the bottom of the registration page.

I have noticed that some people are using that function without my advertising the fact that it now exists, so I figured maybe I could expand on this concept and put it to good use.

Bear in mind that the function here to log referrals is rather primitive, and all it does is to log a count of the number of new registrants that have indicated that a current member has referred them here. Nothing fancy, and nothing beyond that in any way automated. The only info I can pull from the data is to select a date range and have a report generated showing a list of referrers that registrants have entered, along with a total count of the number of registrants filling in the prompt with that referrer. So I have to be creative, in a manual sense, in how I use it. Hence a simple and uncomplicated contest based on simple and uncomplicated data.

Obviously some people are referring others to this site, so I want to set up something as a THANK YOU to them, and sort of have some fun in the process. Hence this idea of a "Membership Referral Contest". So, beginning on July 1, 2018 and running through December 31, 2018, the registered member here who gets the highest count of referrals will be awarded a *FREE* ENDOWMENT level membership for one year. A $250 value! Winner will be determined on January 1, 2019 based on the statistics page showing the referral counts for the above mentioned time period.

This contest is open to ALL registered members on FaunaClassifieds.

The decision of the judge (me) will be final.

Old 06-24-2018, 05:09 PM   #2
Croghans Reptiles
What kind of prevention do you have for someone that just makes multiple fake accounts and refer their main account to win the contest?

Old 06-26-2018, 12:20 AM   #3
WebSlave
Quote:
Originally Posted by Croghans Reptiles View Post
What kind of prevention do you have for someone that just makes multiple fake accounts and refer their main account to win the contest?
I think something of that nature would very quickly become obvious, and there is an excellent chance that I likely will not want someone who would cheat taking part on this site any longer. So if someone wants to cheat, go ahead. Likely they will find that the prize being awarded will be getting themselves banned.

And in such cases, as I mentioned, the decision of the judge will be final.

Old 07-04-2018, 02:08 PM   #4
WebSlave
Just a reminder that this contest is now underway.

Old 07-10-2018, 07:32 PM   #5
brd7666
Quote:
Originally Posted by Croghans Reptiles View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by WebSlave View Post
I think something of that nature would very quickly become obvious, and there is an excellent chance that I likely will not want someone who would cheat taking part on this site any longer. So if someone wants to cheat, go ahead. Likely they will find that the prize being awarded will be getting themselves banned.

And in such cases, as I mentioned, the decision of the judge will be final
Rich, it would be very easy to cheat. With all of the free email addresses you can get, and all of the proxy servers you can use, it would be easy to cheat. Have you given any thought to that? Just curious.

Old 07-10-2018, 08:07 PM   #6
BobO'Booey
Haha

Old 07-11-2018, 12:19 PM   #7
WebSlave
Quote:
Originally Posted by brd7666 View Post
Rich, it would be very easy to cheat. With all of the free email addresses you can get, and all of the proxy servers you can use, it would be easy to cheat. Have you given any thought to that? Just curious.
Yes, I have. Anyone caught pulling something like that will be dealt with appropriately. That is why I put in the caveat that the judge's decision will be final.

Honestly, I have doubts that many (if any) members will even make the effort to actively participate in this contest, much less make the extra effort to cheat at it. But I thought I would give it a try anyway.

And fyi, for anyone interested. Anyone found using an anonymous proxy server for registration has their registration deleted upon discovery as standard procedure. This site does not allow (where practical) anonymous registrations. Yes, I realize some people might have good reason to use an anonymous proxy server, but in such cases, this is not the site for you.

Old 08-17-2018, 05:52 PM   #8
WebSlave
Well, if people are trying to cheat at this contest, they really aren't very good at it.

Actually, I don't see any evidence whatsoever that anyone is even interested in participating in this contest. There is not a single member who has more than just one (1) referral to their name. And no, I am NOT going to consider all of those single referrals as ties and award prizes to all of them.

Old 09-27-2018, 07:00 PM   #9
WebSlave
Ahem... there are quite a few referrals since 07-01-2018, but no one has more than one in their name. For the record, people HAVE to be making a visible effort to get referrals, which means I need to see more than 2 for it to count. Otherwise, there will be NO winner for this contest, and this will be yet another idea I came up with that has flopped, not to be repeated.

BTW, if you are going to refer someone to this site, you need to impress upon them that they need to provide YOUR member name in order for you to get credit. They have to provide this information during registration.

Or am I just wasting my time with this sort of stuff, and no one gives a crap about it anyway?

Old 09-28-2018, 04:50 AM   #10
Randall Turner
Not a waste of time. Pushing to get more active members is good, unfortunately too many people seem to be stuck in facebook/instagram/twitter land.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!