help IDing plz - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - General Discussion Forums > General Herp Talk

Notices

General Herp Talk Can't figure out where to post down in the other discussion forums? Too many options and too complicated? Well post your herp related messages here and to heck with it.

Old 10-26-2004, 07:30 PM   #1
Fortressbeast
help IDing plz

I found this poor guy 1/2 frozen at work (southbury CT) and i was just wondering if anyone can ID it for me if it happens to b dangerous or if simply a common garter/worm snake that forgot to find a warm home for the winter lol

ty in advance for your time
Dan
Attached Images

Old 10-27-2004, 12:24 AM   #2
Scarlett_Fawn
Looks to me like a Dekay's snake. If it is, it's harmless, unless you happen to be a slug/snail that has internet access.

You can see pics of Dekay's snakes here:

http://animaldiversity.ummz.umich.ed...ia_dekayi.html

Old 10-27-2004, 10:14 AM   #3
Fortressbeast
yep that def. looks like this little guy tyvm for the info = ^) the link was most helpful. question is now what to do with the poor thing. I would think that it should be in some sort of home for the winter by now, i would keep it as a pet since it seems rather tame but then there is the issue of feed and if it would adapt, but on the other hand i surely dont want to sentance it to death by frost bite. So if anyone has any info/experiance related to this type of snake or "tameing wild beasties" such as this monster = ^) the info would b most helpful
thank you for your time
Dan

Old 10-28-2004, 08:03 PM   #4
cka
You could set it up in a small terrarium and have it winter over in your basement or garage, if you have one...Preferably somewhere that would consistently stay real cool (50 degrees F or cooler)...a real small waterdish wouldn't hurt, but probably isn't necessary...You could probably raise slugs, providing you can still find some, or try feeding it small earthworms, if you decide to keep "awake" thru winter...

...Neat little snakes...a city dweller, too...I've found these on church lots, actually pretty much any lot with a bit of grass and landscaping in and around the city of Baltimore...

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!