New Mexico state law issues - Page 3 - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Laws, Legislative Issues & Alerts > USA State Specific Issues

Notices

USA State Specific Issues Issues that are specific to a particular state, or subregion within a state, should be appended to the existing relevant thread. NEW threads cannot be created in this forum.

Old 11-17-2011, 08:26 PM   #21
dustinNMpythons
Never heard of that. None of the pet stores have any policy like that here. I was friends with a guy who owned one here and he never heard of such a policy either. I think there was legislation in the air about 2 years ago that didn't go through that was similar to this because all the pet stores around here stopped carrying some things like canaries and a bunch of other stuff but it didn't go through because I even sell to the pet stores around here now. I've never given them any paperwork when I sell to them either.

Old 11-17-2011, 08:37 PM   #22
Outcast
It is one of those things that is on the books, but rarely enforced. The stores are supposed to keep documentation on their animals, including who they got it from, the import paperwork, ect. But, of course like many of the laws here in NM, no one knows about it until the right person gets a stick up their butt and starts knocking on doors. Then everyone has a problem for a while until the smoke clears.
I bet you haven't heard that the head of Game and Fish can change the list of species that are legal within the borders of our state at will? That was an interesting little tidbit that I gleaned from the Game and Fish website... Though I haven't been able to find it lately, so it may have been removed.

Old 11-17-2011, 09:03 PM   #23
dustinNMpythons
yeah I hadn't heard that either and your right they go on a rampage for a bit and then stop enforcing everything again. And yeah I can't find any of the documentation I used to be able to. They don't put the word out there so no one knows whats right and wrong.

Old 11-19-2011, 01:21 AM   #24
dustinNMpythons
A buddy of mine Justin Mitchell showed me these sites. This is what is and isn't allowed in New Mexico. Class I is allowed to be imported without permits or anything, and it goes on to tell you about Class II through IV. Anything not on these lists are Class IV because they don't know what it is:

http://www.wildlife.state.nm.us/apps...UGUST32010.pdf

http://www.wildlife.state.nm.us/apps...d%20Animal.pdf

Old 11-19-2011, 01:25 AM   #25
dustinNMpythons
So the permit for "ANYTHING" coming into the state is not true, this was signed in 2010 so it is current.

Old 11-19-2011, 03:27 PM   #26
SDiBiasi
That is good to know because I recently got in an order of corn snakes that come from Kentucky! My husband is looking into buying a hog island boa, and there are not very many in New Mexico, so he is looking to have one shipped to him!

Old 11-19-2011, 03:50 PM   #27
dustinNMpythons
Yep Corns and Hog island boas are class I so it's fine to have them shipped in without any restrictions.

Old 11-22-2011, 06:27 PM   #28
jj-mitchell
Yeah there has been alot of questions about these laws and permits. Dealing with this guys has been comical @ best. They have certain requirements for each step. Class 1 they dont care it can be sick, dying, or dead they rank them as being little to no threat if released or escaped into the wild. Class 2 requires you to show game and fish your enclosures including locks have a containment, and emergency plan, as well as have health certificates from a veterinarian before you can get the permit to bring them in. Class 3 includes all of the above and when I ask about bringing in coastal carpets (a class 3) I was told I would have to sighn a waiver that made me financially and legally responsible for any damages my animals or offspring caused in the indefinite future. Class 4 requires an expert license, from everything I have gathered these are not being given out, I have spoke to a few that have class 4 permits but they had to meet the state biologist personally to do so(and thats not something you can just go do), also anyone that buys any offspring produced also has to have this license. They also hold the right to deny breeding groups of animals into the state, you will be more likely to get a permit for 1 animal as a pet than a trio for breeding.

These laws are the result of someone being allowed to make decisions that knows nothing about the animals. I ask game and fish about savannah monitors and they said they were to much of a risk as they have found Alligators in Rio Rancho.

These laws suck, but when they were being passed not enough people stood up and did something about it. I do want to thank Heather Angivine from Subterranean Jungle, and anyone else that worked with the state law makers to help keep the rights we still have. These people stuck thier necks to keep our hobby alive

Old 12-23-2011, 10:16 PM   #29
Outcast
Quote:
Originally Posted by jj-mitchell View Post
These laws are the result of someone being allowed to make decisions that knows nothing about the animals. I ask game and fish about savannah monitors and they said they were to much of a risk as they have found Alligators in Rio Rancho.
I am going to have to ask Charlie Painter about this one. He is the NM Game and Fish Herpetologist, and invited me to work with him next summer. Hopefully I remember this post so I can ask him next time we see each other.

Though I do know of some alligators up in the Appalachians where they are not natives, they found their way into a hot springs and made it home. Saw that on discovery a couple of years ago. This was on the top of a mountain...LOL. They think someone released them up there. Oh, and they were not multiplying, there were only 2 or 3, as far as I can remember.

Old 12-23-2011, 11:10 PM   #30
jj-mitchell
Quote:
Originally Posted by Outcast View Post
I am going to have to ask Charlie Painter about this one. He is the NM Game and Fish Herpetologist, and invited me to work with him next summer. Hopefully I remember this post so I can ask him next time we see each other.

Though I do know of some alligators up in the Appalachians where they are not natives, they found their way into a hot springs and made it home. Saw that on discovery a couple of years ago. This was on the top of a mountain...LOL. They think someone released them up there. Oh, and they were not multiplying, there were only 2 or 3, as far as I can remember.
I understand that animals can adapt to abnormal circumstances and live places they shouldnt, and was not intending this to be an insult toward any one .... That statement came from the woman that handles alot of the permit info, I believe her name is Latisha or something simmilar. I have never had any dealings with the state herpetologist and am not second guessing his judgement, he is put in a very difficult spot deciding what can be and cannot. I can assure you I would never want to be in his shoes no matter what decision you make you are going to make someone mad. I just had hopes that the people that decide on permits were better informed

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!