how do I maintain proper temperature/humidity for a rainbow boa? - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - General Discussion Forums > Feed, Caging, Supplies & Services

Notices

Feed, Caging, Supplies & Services Discussions concerning the feeding requirements of any of our critters, the cages they need to live in while in our care, and all of the supplies and services needed to do this right.

Old 12-12-2011, 11:00 AM   #1
oxeimon
how do I maintain proper temperature/humidity for a rainbow boa?

So I've got a peruvian rainbow boa in a 36x18x16 cage. The ambient temperature in my room is about 68 degrees, and that's approximately the temperature on cold side of the cage. However, I'm having trouble getting the temperature on the warm side to an acceptable level. I've got approximately an inch of substrate (cypress mulch), and there are 3 hides on the hot, warm, and cold sides of the tank.

Right now, I've got a 100watt heat lamp, and a flukers UTH. The 100w heat lamp gets the temperature on the hot side to around 85, which is perfect. However, it does a lot to dry out the tank, and with the heat lamp on, the humidity at the center of the tank won't stay above 60.

Now, the flukers UTH gets the top-level substrate temperature to around 83, which is okay. However, the glass underneath the substrate is at an uncomfortable 125 near the center of the heat mat. I guess the problem is that the substrate acts as insulation for the bottom of the tank?

I'm worried about two things:
1. If I use the 100w heat lamp, is there a possibility that the snake will need the heat, but will stay away from it because it's so drying?
2. If I use the flukers UTH, is there a possibility that the snake will burn itself when burrowing? (it likes to burrow a lot for some reason)
3. Is there a third option? I could try attaching a thermostat to the UTH, but if the snake is burrowed on top of the UTH while it's cool, and it suddenly heats up, we're back to the same problem as in (2).

- will

Old 12-12-2011, 09:57 PM   #2
keithy
This is my set-up for my Brazilians (which require similar temps and humidity). I have them in rubbermaid with a few holes in them. I use coco brick as a substrate. it is great at holding humidity. I use the zoomed UTH. I think I have the 10-20 gallon on a 41 qt container. Then, I use a plastic hide. You want as little ventilation as possible for this species. I would avoid the heat lamp to avoid drying out, like you said. If the animal wants to be by the heat mat, they will. You may have to high level of a mat if it is getting that hot. Mine never get that hot. The highest I have ever read is 90 degrees F at placing the thermometer on the mat. I have heard the flukers get hotter, but I am not sure. I can only get the zoomed around here. I hope I helped!

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!