uromastyx on dirt? - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Lizard Discussion Forums > Other Lizards Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 06-12-2012, 04:57 PM   #1
skip88
uromastyx on dirt?

This is a question to all uro owners. Do any of yous keep your uros on plain dirt or clean fill dirt

Old 06-12-2012, 04:59 PM   #2
hadenglock
either or has worked for me with no problems, though i prefer fill dirt because it seems to hold tunnels easier.

Old 06-12-2012, 05:21 PM   #3
skip88
I did have my Mali on millet but it was spittle dusty and he seemed to stay off of it as much as possible so. I put him on newspaper and now he seems miserable and sand is not good cause of the dust.thanks for the input. Can you put up a pic of you set up so I can take a gander at it.

Old 06-12-2012, 05:40 PM   #4
Ed Clark
Quote:
Originally Posted by skip88 View Post
This is a question to all uro owners. Do any of yous keep your uros on plain dirt or clean fill dirt
Both will work fine,make sure where you are getting it from has never been fertilized and make sure to screen out all the pebbles and stones as your uro will eat them.

Or go to a big box store and grab a bag of sand for $2.00

Old 06-12-2012, 08:15 PM   #5
defcon222
I keep my Malis, Saharans, Egyptian, and my Chuckwalla on white millet and they have not had any problems. I also don't have any dust problems like I did with play sand.

Old 06-12-2012, 10:07 PM   #6
Ed Clark
There is a trade off with the dust in play sand, but it is cheap and readily available.

Old 06-12-2012, 11:10 PM   #7
skip88
I don't wanna do sand cause he tends to put his face in the sand then I'm picking sand out of his nose. What another a mixture of sand and dirt.

Old 07-03-2012, 06:45 PM   #8
Spyral
Washed play sand and organic potting soil/compost or peat moss can make a decent blend. You can use more soil to sand to achieve the best mix.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!