Brumate ? - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Snake Discussion Forums > Hognose Snakes Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 10-10-2013, 07:23 AM   #1
Dmcg
Brumate ?

Ok guys I have bred burns and carpet pythons b4. I'm new to hogs and was
Looking for some info. So I was wondering how you keep your temps so low for the hogs brumation. A breeder told me I need to keep cage 50-60... How in the world do you all manage this??

Thanks

Old 10-14-2013, 12:43 PM   #2
Nothingbuthogs
I usually keep my hogs in brumation for a total of 3 months some people do it shorter but I learned over the years the longer the better. I will be starting to put my hogs throw brumation in a week or 2, making sure the last meal is out of their systems. Bringing down the temperature, I do 5 degrees every week till I get them down to 50 Degrees. I let them stay at 50 degrees for about a month to a month and a half and then start raising back the temperature about 5 to 10 degrees every week. I know breeders who raise them back up to regular temp. right away but i find this puts them through shock due to the drastic temperature change and it takes longer to get them to start eating again.

To answer your question on where to keep them to manage the temperature, a garage or room that doesn't get heated in the winter is ideal. Also put a thermostat in the place your using to make sure the temp. of the room is ideal for brumation. Keep a close eye on the temperature during the really cold weeks making sure it doesn't get to cold.

Old 11-02-2013, 01:34 AM   #3
Kingofspades
An unheated garage won't get too cold?

Old 11-04-2013, 10:17 AM   #4
Nothingbuthogs
It all depends on your location and how much insulation you have, but it's possible.

Old 11-04-2013, 07:23 PM   #5
Nothingbuthogs
It should be fine with a electric heater to keep temperature if it drops to cold.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!