First Beardie!!!! Any Ideas - Page 3 - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Lizard Discussion Forums > Bearded Dragons Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 12-07-2012, 12:07 PM   #21
Beardiefreak26
plus if she was a trans you could see throught the belly some what

Old 12-07-2012, 06:54 PM   #22
Pythonbreeder99
Well then I'm at a loss, what morphs are green with orange?
I'm having trouble catching it in the pictures but she is a beautiful forest green with bright orange

Old 12-08-2012, 12:55 PM   #23
Beardiefreak26
color morphs are just in the eye of the beholder i believe what i work with is the actual genes

Old 12-31-2012, 04:02 PM   #24
Mistyck
How is she doing? Any updated pics?

Old 04-13-2013, 07:10 PM   #25
allreptiles1966
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mistyck View Post
Don't feed mealworms, it will impact them at that young of an age. Feed greens like collard, mustard, turnip, please don't feed her lettuce.

She is a looker, for sure. She'll have some pretty coloring as she gets older.

UVB is a must, I recommend the Repti-Sun 10.0 UVB Bulb (Florescent, not coil). You can use a regular household bulb (not the coil bulbs) for heat. That's all I do for mine.
Can i ask why not the coil type if its housed in a dome ? I thought they were supposed to be able to get away from the uvb also. Isnt this why we put the heat light and the uvb together ? I also would like to know why you can just use a self ballasted mercury vapor light ? They put out both uva and uvb.And good amounts. I used them some years back and never had any issues. Even during breeding? I know i could be wrong,but these are suppose to be great sources for heat and spectrum.
I ask because i just got a beardie and its been several years and i would like to know anything updated or better info then i read.
Thanks
Rich
Beardie coming this week.

Old 04-13-2013, 08:04 PM   #26
Pythonbreeder99
The coils lose UVB quicker and dont put out as much. The mercury vapor bulbs are good from what I've read and heard.

Old 04-15-2013, 07:03 PM   #27
Ophion
Coil bulbs cause issues because the way they put out UVB. The coil bulbs will eventually cause eye problems and avoidance. I am not a fan of mercury vapor bulbs either. While they typically seem to be less problematic I have seen them cause the same issues as the coil bulbs. Prefer to stick to Reptisun 10.0 (10.0 - not 5.0)

I have not heard of them needing to get away from the UVB specifically (could always be wrong). As long as the light is a proper distance from them and good quality they shouldn't have a want or need to get any further from it. The artificial bulbs are not as strong as natural UVB so they need more time under it than they would outside.

Old 04-16-2013, 06:42 AM   #28
allreptiles1966
I wonder what test have been done on this ? I had 9 3x5 pens with 4-5 female per pen and used self ballasted uvb bulbs from 1000bubs and had no issues the 7 years i owned them.
But now i see all type of info and not sure what is what ? Some say no,some say yes.

Anyone ever use the self ballasted mercury vapor bulbs and have their beardie go blind ? Get ill before getting old ?? I hear lots and see no proof yet and it makes me wonder if its just a ploy to get me to buy UVb saying the are special,and cost at least $50. lol

Old 04-16-2013, 10:26 AM   #29
Ophion
I do not have tests to prove anything, just have personal experience. The vet I go to uses MVB, he has not reported issues. I have worked in a store where they only used MVB, I have seen different animals avoid and start showing eye problems with it. I have seen more issues with the coil bulbs, but still problems with the MVB also. It just seems some do fine, others do not. I do not want to gamble my animals to see if it works for me.

Also a Reptisun 10.0 should not cost $50 unless you are getting it from Petsmart or Petco. They are half that online.

Old 04-17-2013, 10:02 AM   #30
allreptiles1966
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ophion View Post
I do not have tests to prove anything, just have personal experience. The vet I go to uses MVB, he has not reported issues. I have worked in a store where they only used MVB, I have seen different animals avoid and start showing eye problems with it. I have seen more issues with the coil bulbs, but still problems with the MVB also. It just seems some do fine, others do not. I do not want to gamble my animals to see if it works for me.

Also a Reptisun 10.0 should not cost $50 unless you are getting it from Petsmart or Petco. They are half that online.
I went with a powersun. Zoo Med PowerSun UV Mercury Vapor UVB Lamp:
I'll keep an eye on it though. at some point i will get a beardie cage instead of a fish tank. Using the fish tank will lower the output of the uvb if its too tall. Mine is a tall so the uvb will not be strong enough. IMO.
When i get a real beardie cage i will use those long tubes.
Thanks for your valued opinion.
Rich

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!