Relocation Stress Questions - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Lizard Discussion Forums > Bearded Dragons Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 03-16-2014, 09:36 PM   #1
EmRz
Relocation Stress Questions

Hello everyone

I just received my male rainbow tiger BD yesterday. He's beautiful and arrived in good health, but he's dealing with a lot of relocation stress. I put in the order at Animal Plastics for his permanent viv prior to receiving him, but it will take about two months before I get it. For now, I have him in a modified plastic storage tub. The dragon himself measures about 12.5 inches, and his temporary tub has the following dimensions:

32.13"L x 19.13"W x 13.75"H

Basking temp showed 105 today. Cool side of the cage showed 85 F. In his temp cage are stones under the incandescent light, a food dish and a box to hide in. Substrate is newspaper with a layer of paper towels over it. I drilled 6 holes along both of the longest sides of the tub, and the middle of the plastic lid has been cut out to fit mesh panels. His temp cage is as bare as it is for now so that I can be sure that he is basking/eating.

He puffs his beard at me every time I go near his viv. He gaped at me this morning, but never tried to bite. He runs when I put my hand near him. I have also noticed him going into his hiding box and scratching at the bottom of it several times today (not sure what to think of this behavior). This sort of thing is to be expected, I know. He has only been here for a day and a half, now. I just want to keep him as comfortable and happy as I can. Maybe I should modify the basking temp?

In your own personal experience, how long did your BD's relocation stress last/ any tips on how to work through it?

Thanks lots

Old 03-16-2014, 11:25 PM   #2
Ed Clark
Throwing a beard and gaping is normal for alot of males. going into a hide and scratching is nothing more than your dragon wanting a nap.

Old 03-17-2014, 01:08 AM   #3
Ed Clark
Quote:
Originally Posted by EmRz View Post

In your own personal experience, how long did your BD's relocation stress last/ any tips on how to work through it?

Thanks lots
If it is showing stress from the move stop handling him and leave him alone. his hunger will help to get him back in the groove.feed after his cage has warmed up as he will not want to eat until he is warm. might take a week or so before he feels comfortable again.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!