new Cornsnake help - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Classifieds > Snakes For Sale/Wanteds > Cornsnakes & Ratsnakes

Notices

Old 02-17-2020, 05:22 PM   #1
linzeew
new Cornsnake help

Hi all I purchased a corn snake a few days ago who is very healthy and active. she does seem to have some "dirty" shed on her tail and on her face a bit. I want to start off with a healthy snake with no shed problems. Would you guys advise me to take her back or try to treat? any input is appreciated. Thank you!
https://imgur.com/gallery/vdHOD2h
  Contact User Check User
Old 02-17-2020, 11:07 PM   #2
crisco89
The snake looks healthy overall. I think if you try removing the old skin she might bleed. You can try to leave her soaking in warm water for a while and then gently trying to remove the skin with a towel. If she DOES bleed... Keep her on newspaper or napkins until it heals completely. You might have to just pay more attention to her tail and head next time she sheds. Soaking her often before a shed wouldnt be a bad idea, and then once she does shed... rub her head and tail to remove any excess skin

Old 02-17-2020, 11:19 PM   #3
Socratic Monologue
I agree with the advice to soak the snake: in shallow room temp water for a half hour or so and then gently try to rub that stuck shed off. You should not get any bleeding from this. If you do, I'd consider a vet visit.

Please report back. That's either a quite yucky bit of stuck shed or some sort of infection. Either way it needs to be corrected. The snake absolutely should not have been sold to you in that condition. Do not purchase from that vendor in the future.

Old 02-21-2020, 10:40 AM   #4
Creek kid
You should of stuck to your guns and followed your own standard, no offense.That animal is sick it may have some sort of mite problem! Keep her away from other reps you may have! Do your self a favor take the animal back! They should of never sold you that snake in that condition! Unless you made some sort of agreement.

Old 02-21-2020, 03:30 PM   #5
linzeew
Hi guys thank you for your responses!
I know, I am feeling a little cheated out of my money. I paid $150 for this beautiful girl to come home and notice her tail. I know I should have looked at her tail to begin with as thats a problem area for these guys but she was active in the store and the rest of her body was nice and healthy. I was a bit thrown off too at the store since I came there searching for a smaller corn (mom n pop pet store) but this what they had. I was also a bit thrown off from the start when I asked if I could view the cornsnake and she said to me "well, are you looking to purchase one?" Idk came off a bit rude to me.
I have since given her a 30 min soak with some shed aid and some shed did come off but I mean a very minimal amount. I also noticed she is actually missing one of her scales at the end of her tail. Im hoping with her next shed I can give her some good soaks and try to help her get it off. As far as mites go, I have looked at some photos and it does not appear she has any. She just has some brown shed that doesn't look infected to me, but I also haven't kept snakes long enough to know at this point, which is why im here! And I was thinking stuck shed from my beardies do not look like this and are not rough to the touch..Im thinking whoever had her did not bathe her or provide humidity at proper levels and this is a couple sheds deep if thats even possible.
When I first got her she would come out at night and explore her tank but ever since I gave her a bath and tried to feed she hasn't come out. I also tried to feed her on her feeding for the first time and she rattled at it and striked but never actually ate it. I tried again a day later after her bath and she striked but still acted uninterested after. Both mice were thawed completely. Please let me know if you guys have any suggestions. Ive read it could possibly be the time of year? but they told me she had eaten the week before so...
I have called the store about the shed and they said they dont take returns but I can bring her in and get some shed aid from them.. another thing I should have looked into, but I felt it was common for pet stores. She said they only do donations! gosh I really hope this shed gives up and she eats soon...
  Contact User Check User
Old 02-21-2020, 03:49 PM   #6
linzeew
Oh! and also. I know snakes can hiss but do they do it when they are moving around like making a sssss sound?She will be slithering over my body and will make that sss noise when she sticks out her tongue. I had a baby corn once and they didnt make this noise but I know the one I have now is much much larger. Im just concerned about a respiratory infection. I dont see any discharge or anything else abnormal than already explained. If this is a sign of another illness im going to demand they give me money back. Im not paying full price for a snake with this many problems undisclosed! I asked them how she was doing and they said she is healthy and eating. Kinda of starting to call BS after that feeding day, but maybe she's just stressed...
  Contact User Check User
Old 02-21-2020, 05:43 PM   #7
Socratic Monologue
Lindsey, it sounds as if your snake may have a few issues (skin on tail, possible respiratory issue). "A couple sheds deep" indicates an ongoing serious shedding problem that will kill your snake. You can find a qualified herp vet here:

https://arav.site-ym.com/search/custom.asp?id=3661

Also, until you line up a professional evaluation of your snake, perhaps giving her some quiet would be in order. It is best not to handle a reptile for at least a few weeks until they get settled in and are feeding well.

Old 02-21-2020, 05:50 PM   #8
Creek kid
Quote:
Originally Posted by linzeew View Post
Oh! and also. I know snakes can hiss but do they do it when they are moving around like making a sssss sound?She will be slithering over my body and will make that sss noise when she sticks out her tongue. I had a baby corn once and they didnt make this noise but I know the one I have now is much much larger. Im just concerned about a respiratory infection. I dont see any discharge or anything else abnormal than already explained. If this is a sign of another illness im going to demand they give me money back. Im not paying full price for a snake with this many problems undisclosed! I asked them how she was doing and they said she is healthy and eating. Kinda of starting to call BS after that feeding day, but maybe she's just stressed...
You every legal right to your money back! They knowingly sold you a sick animal! Yes sick ,the other comments say otherwise. I claim not to be vet by no means , but that animal is clearly sick! Black ,dirty looking spots not normal! It could be some sort of fungus as well! There is a deadly fungus that affects primarily wild North American snakes ,from coast to coast! I have read that it has been found in private collections as well! Demand your money back!! If they won't then I would contact the BBB or aspca

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!