High temperature tolerance for mice? - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - General Discussion Forums > Feed, Caging, Supplies & Services

Notices

Feed, Caging, Supplies & Services Discussions concerning the feeding requirements of any of our critters, the cages they need to live in while in our care, and all of the supplies and services needed to do this right.

Old 04-07-2005, 08:14 PM   #1
Uncloudy
Question High temperature tolerance for mice?

I keep my breeding mice in the garage here in SW AZ. Today, I noticed the temperature in the garage was in the mid to upper 80's and the mice looked like they were sweating a little bit. I usually stop the mice breeding in the summer and wait until next fall when it's cool enough. I could probably use some more large pinks to large fuzzies from this colony for my '04 snakes.

What is the highest temperature range mice can tolerate before they die of heat exhaustion?

I want to freeze all those stinky smelling bastards before they die.
Mice are by far the lamest part of this hobby , but it is really economical to breed your own.
Thanks for any responses,
Uncloudy

Old 04-08-2005, 11:07 AM   #2
old guy
as a past breeder of mice

mid 80ties are shut off to breeding unless you are able to move the air around. At least that was always my experience with breeding lab mice. I think also caging might be of concern and probably substrate. The more ventilation the better of course. I switched to corn cob bedding and didn't have near the problems with uric acid holding in the ammonia with hot temperatures that definitely caused problems on breeding with higher temps when i used pine, aspen and other substrates.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncloudy
I keep my breeding mice in the garage here in SW AZ. Today, I noticed the temperature in the garage was in the mid to upper 80's and the mice looked like they were sweating a little bit. I usually stop the mice breeding in the summer and wait until next fall when it's cool enough. I could probably use some more large pinks to large fuzzies from this colony for my '04 snakes.

What is the highest temperature range mice can tolerate before they die of heat exhaustion?

I want to freeze all those stinky smelling bastards before they die.
Mice are by far the lamest part of this hobby , but it is really economical to breed your own.
Thanks for any responses,
Uncloudy

Old 04-08-2005, 03:14 PM   #3
Uncloudy
Thumbs up Thank You

Quote:
mid 80ties are shut off to breeding unless you are able to move the air around. At least that was always my experience with breeding lab mice. I think also caging might be of concern and probably substrate. The more ventilation the better of course. I switched to corn cob bedding and didn't have near the problems with uric acid holding in the ammonia with hot temperatures that definitely caused problems on breeding with higher temps when i used pine, aspen and other substrates.
Mike thanks for the info, man. It was in the low 90's air temp and mid to upper 80's in garage where the mice are and they did look a little stressed. It's cooling down here, but it'll be hot again soon and the all the mice will have to be cervically displaced.
Happy Herping,
Uncloudy

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!