Info Just got this from SYR - Page 10 - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Business Forums > Board of Inquiry®

Notices

Board of Inquiry® This forum is provided exclusively for the discussion of specific persons or businesses in the herp industry.

Old 05-21-2010, 04:51 AM   #91
sinisterserpents1
Quote:
Originally Posted by WingedWolf View Post
Fed Ex strung me along for months after approving my box, and I just couldn't get them to send me the paperwork. They had done some sort of internal re-organization, and I fell through the cracks. I gave up after SYR showed up.

I guess I have to try again. I'm not exactly thrilled. UPS has done a great job and I haven't had any problems with them. I have learned not to have packages signed for, though, because the drivers drop a door tag and run. I'd rather have them leave the box and run, so the animal won't be on the truck all day.

There are horror stories from both services, so I don't really have a preference beyond price.
Yeah we always sold our snakes locally, but have just started shipping this year. We used SYR and all snakes arrived safely and perfectly. I also didn't require a signature for the exact reason you just gave. However, we have been wanting to get Fed Ex Certified, just been putting it off. Now we got a good excuse to do it being that I'm suppose to ship a pair of corns next week. I just heard that the Fed Ex certification process can be long and drawn out. Ugh I hope it won't be.

Old 05-21-2010, 02:13 PM   #92
brd7666
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suncoast Herpetological View Post
According to a buddy of mine at UPS who is a good distance up the ladder, the problem is that SYR's agreement NEVER allowed them to ship snakes. It came to light that they were and that's the reason for the very specific prohibition.

Their labeling and packaging instructions on their website support this as well.
John posted this in a BOI thread not long ago. Thank you John.

This is off of SYR's web site.

link below

http://www.shipyourreptiles.com/en/g...g/#question-24

quote below

Quote:
What can I ship through ShipYourReptiles.com?

You cannot ship illegal drugs, batteries, liquor, aerosols, firearms and ammunition, fireworks, explosives, mammals (no dogs, no cats), birds, dry ice and absolutely no venomous reptiles.

ShipYourReptiles.com is approved for the shipping of live non venomous reptiles.

You must follow the ShipYourReptiles.com Shipping Standards.

You must also follow all UPS rules and restrictions. For more details, see these sections of the UPS site:
•Packaging and Supplies
•UPS Guide for Shipping Ground and Air Hazardous Materials
This is off of UPS's web site.

link below

http://www.ups.com/content/us/en/res...h_phr=reptiles

quote below

Quote:
Accepted / Prohibited Live Animals

Accepted Live Animals

This is a comprehensive list of live animals accepted for transportation. Shippers are prohibited from shipping any animal not listed here, and all other live animals will not be accepted for transportation. The following live animals are accepted for transportation unless poisonous, venomous, and/or a Threatened or Endangered Species.

Amphibians (All): Examples: frogs, salamanders, toads
Crustaceans (All): Examples: crabs, crawfish, lobsters, shrimp
Fish (All)
Insects (Limited to beneficial insects only): Examples: bees, butterflies, crickets, lady bugs
Mollusks (All): Examples: clams, mussels, snails
Reptiles (Limited to the following):
- Lizards: Examples: chameleons, geckos, iguanas, monitors, flying dragons
- Turtles: freshwater turtles (except: snapping turtles), land tortoises, sea turtles

Worms (All)

Prohibited Live Animals

Live Animals that are prohibited from being shipped and are not accepted for transportation include, but are not limited to:

Any poisonous, venomous or threatening animal
Any Threatened or Endangered species
Arachnids (All): Examples: mites, scorpions, spiders, ticks
Birds (All)
Crocodiles (All): Examples: alligators, caimans, gavials
Mammals (All)
Obnoxious Insects: Examples: flies, locusts, mosquitoes, roaches, termites, weevils
Snakes (All): venomous and non-venomous

Old 05-21-2010, 03:35 PM   #93
Southern Wolf
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suncoast Herpetological
According to a buddy of mine at UPS who is a good distance up the ladder, the problem is that SYR's agreement NEVER allowed them to ship snakes. It came to light that they were and that's the reason for the very specific prohibition.

Their labeling and packaging instructions on their website support this as well.
I would be interested in knowing if this is 100% true

Old 05-21-2010, 03:42 PM   #94
Willow
So would I....if it is true...I'm sure I would not be the only person who felt angry and slighted by it

Old 05-21-2010, 04:28 PM   #95
R. Eventide
It would surprise me if that's the reason. You'd think SYR would have asked specifically about snakes when making this deal with UPS, especially since it's not a secret UPS doesn't allow the shipment of snakes. And if they did ask about it and were denied, then why didn't they state that explicitly on their website?

Old 05-21-2010, 05:19 PM   #96
Willow
Snake shipping is really the only thing that SYR has other then a more precise customer service then plain old UPS....UPS already accepts most lizards, frogs and fish....so snakes was really SYR biggest crutch as a service

I think it will be horridly devastating for SYR if they can't get us back to shipping snakes

Old 05-21-2010, 05:21 PM   #97
Willow
One thing that I know will be happening is people will still be using SYR to try and ship out snakes, even after being told not to....that will be a huge downfall in SYR trying to repair this situation

Old 05-21-2010, 05:38 PM   #98
brd7666
I find it odd that Robyn was just viewing this thread and didn't comment. I would think he would want to defend himself. But what do I know?

Old 05-21-2010, 05:48 PM   #99
garweft
Quote:
Originally Posted by Willow View Post
One thing that I know will be happening is people will still be using SYR to try and ship out snakes, even after being told not to....that will be a huge downfall in SYR trying to repair this situation
I would hope that out of respect for what they are trying to do people would not ship snakes through the SYR service.

If anyone still wants to ship a snake thru UPS, please set up the shipment on the UPS site and brown box it thru, don't set it up with SYR until they give the OK.

Old 05-21-2010, 05:51 PM   #100
Willow
Matthew you can hope all you want...and try to tell people the same thing....but we all know its going to happen....personally I wont be accepting anyone offering to ship a snake to me using SYR while this is going on....and I'll be finishing up my Fed Ex cert next week so I wont have to worry about it myself

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!