Sick Beardie-I'm at a Loss - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Lizard Discussion Forums > Bearded Dragons Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 05-22-2010, 10:44 AM   #1
Papa Wyrm
Angry Sick Beardie-I'm at a Loss

I got a 6" dragon about a month ago, it had pinworms and coccidia. She's been treated for both (as well as the rest of my colony) and is back to head up and alert but she won't eat. Like for a week and a half. yesterday i got my dubia starter colony and tried feeding her a few little ones, she gobbled em up. that was noon yesterday. this morning at nine i threw 2 more roaches in her cage all excited like she was finally on the mend. she looks at me, hops off her rock and regurgitates all the dubias she ate yesterday, and now won't eat again. What do i do? i'm at my wits end. I have some acidophiliz on the way. has anyone had any luck using the stuff? its all i can think to do. any ideas?

Old 05-22-2010, 11:39 PM   #2
chris allen
Did she eat late the night before....where she didn't have enough time to digest? Maybe she ate too many or too big? What are your basking temps?

Old 05-22-2010, 11:48 PM   #3
Papa Wyrm
Ate at noon. she did eat quite a few, 7 i think or 6, basking temps are steady at 80 cool side and 107 under basking bulb. what she brought back up almost seemed like it was totally undigested but she had to has digested a little because she had a small stool this afternoon. she wasn't interested in eating at all today. i offered her one roach on four occasions and a crickett ( i had a coveted day off, doesn't happen often), so i was in and out all day. the second time i checked on her, she was kinda dry swallowin, if ya know what i mean so i bathed her, she drank deeply. let her bask to get back up to temp and offered more food after about a half hour....nothin

Old 05-23-2010, 11:51 AM   #4
Papa Wyrm
Question

re checked basking temps again this morning and it is indeed at 107.3 at the hottest point, she ate 3 dubias this morning, she acts like she wants more, but i'm thinkin take it slowly? i stopped at 3 of em this mornin, then maybe 2 or 3 more at the second feeding at 5 ish?

Old 05-23-2010, 12:01 PM   #5
dragonluver83
Quote:
Originally Posted by Papa Wyrm View Post
Ate at noon. she did eat quite a few, 7 i think or 6, basking temps are steady at 80 cool side and 107 under basking bulb. what she brought back up almost seemed like it was totally undigested but she had to has digested a little because she had a small stool this afternoon. she wasn't interested in eating at all today. i offered her one roach on four occasions and a crickett ( i had a coveted day off, doesn't happen often), so i was in and out all day. the second time i checked on her, she was kinda dry swallowin, if ya know what i mean so i bathed her, she drank deeply. let her bask to get back up to temp and offered more food after about a half hour....nothin
Hummmm..... does she go to the basking side? or hang around the cool side more? Those roaches should have been on the way out the other end opposed to regurging them. Actually i would start to say exactly what Chris did. first could of been to many or to big. Roaches have VERY thick exo-skeletons and be much harder to digest for a smaller dragon. Next make sure to keep the dragon hydrated.
Next, for the rest of the day an maybe half the day into tomorrow dont offer it any food. What your trying to do is build it's appetite back up. so instead of feeding it when it may want to eat.. feed it when its hungry. When feeding only throw one cricket in. If it sees it and doesnt eat it take it out. never leave food in the cage. (even when there isnt a issue.) and dont try to feed it until the next day. IF and WHEN it does start eating again. do NOT feed it heavily, or until full. Only feed it a few bugs and cut it off. What your doing is "keeping the appetite". If you feed it until its full, you have the possibility of either over feeding it or taking it's appetite away.

Old 05-23-2010, 12:17 PM   #6
Papa Wyrm
gotcha. yea she's right at the hot side on her perch most of the time. for some reason she has absolutely no interest in crickets, its kinda weird. her appetite is definitely back though, so i won't feed her anymore today, just the 3 she's already had. i've tried phoenix worms and she liked those in the past, what other worms could i give her at her size? just checked her today, she's 8 in and 17g, i was wrong on the original post, stills she's just tiny for almost 9 weeks.

Old 05-23-2010, 12:21 PM   #7
chris allen
Try increasing the basking temp some.....if she is always basking, she probably isn't getting hot enough.

Some dragons once they get a taste of something, whether it be roaches, supers, silkworms, hornworms, etc.....they want that and will "hold out" for that. Also, if they regurgitate, alot of times they will not eat for a day or so. It probably upsets/hurts their stomach. Keep hydrated, warm, and offer smaller amounts of food.

Also, what size tank is the dragon in, what kind of lighting etc?

Old 05-23-2010, 12:28 PM   #8
dragonluver83
Quote:
Originally Posted by Papa Wyrm View Post
re checked basking temps again this morning and it is indeed at 107.3 at the hottest point,
Quote:
Originally Posted by chris allen View Post
Try increasing the basking temp some.....if she is always basking, she probably isn't getting hot enough.

UH, Really?

Old 05-23-2010, 12:48 PM   #9
chris allen

Old 05-23-2010, 12:54 PM   #10
chris allen
110-115 is what I normally suggest. If your particular dragon though isn't moving from the basking spot as you said, it may need a slightly higher temp, by either raising the temp, or raising the basking platform.

It regurgitated for a reason. Maybe a few reasons, but there is no harm in upping the temp a bit and making sure it can digest what it ate.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!